Swampy off to Nepal 2016 as a volunteer medic. Please help.

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hi all you beautiful people. I'm putting this here as I can't find another spot for it and it kind of fits the genre.
As some of you know I am a paramedic working here in Oz for one of the state ambulance services. Next year I have volunteered my time and skill to help The Wild Medic Project in Nepal. www.thewildmedicproject.com As you know volunteering does cost money and is for a majority of the time funded by the volunteer to a certain level.
Well I am here with my cap in my hand and below you'll see a link to a donation page that I have got set up to help me raise needed funds to go on this trip.

http://www.volunteerforever.com/volunteer_profile/lee-caulfield-marsh

Now if I don't hit my target I will cover the rest out of my own pocket but if I get more than I need the the excess will be donated to the project to help fund further support.

Here is what I will be doing in Nepal.

Nepal Project Mission

The WMP aims to provide clinically qualified volunteers to establish and operate mobile medical camps that can provide coverage to communities where such medical care is unavailable. These medical camps will provide basic health assessments, treatment and education to the community and it is our mission to assist this community in rebuilding the former health post that collapsed during the earthquake. Once rebuilt we will continue to provide medical volunteers to engage with this project into the future.

Project Location

Located North East of Kathmandu lies the Helambu Province. This province sadly bore the brunt of the April 2015 earthquake. Many villages within Helambu lay in ruins without the necessary support required for basic health care.

I thank you all for any support you can spare..

(Mods please move to another area if need be)

Last edited:

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Your an awesome guy Swampy...they need all the help they can get over there.

good on you and stay safe.

namaste

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Thank you all for your support. If can ask you to get this out to friends family work peeps whatever. I need the exposure and the CASH to do this.
Im only a poorly paid government employee.

SimonM

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Hey Swampy - awesome work. I actually don't have a lot of spare cash at the moment but I can donate one of my new hammocks to raffle off or sell if that would be helpful???

Let me know.

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hey Swampy - awesome work. I actually don't have a lot of spare cash at the moment but I can donate one of my new hammocks to raffle off or sell if that would be helpful???

Let me know.
That would be great a raffle would be a fantastic way to raise money.
Thanks Simon.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
I'll have a ticket in that. No one else need enter as I already have the winning ticket. Lol
Soon as I have some fondoola, I'll send it you way Swampy. Looks like folk have been generous already. I think it is a great thing you are doing. If you want someone to carry your bags, give me a hoi.
Cheers
Bloffy

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hi all you beautiful people.
Just to let you all know Simon and I are in the process of sorting out the details of the raffle of one of his beautiful hammocks to help raise funds for this trip.
Once all details are sorted then a new thread will be posted.

Thanks
Swampy

koalaboi

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Hi Swampy,

Good on you for volunteering.

I spent 2 years in PNG as a volunteer (teaching) and I'd have to say it was the best experience of my life.

It was a challenging, exciting and incredibly rewarding time.

Came down with malaria, had a gun held to my head, met Mother Theresa and British composer David Fanshawe, the PM of PNG plus some amazing people from all over the world and that's before talking about the kids and their families out in the bush still living pretty much a traditional life.

You will come back a changed person. Savour every second of the time away.

KB

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Thanks mate.

Thats the main reason I want to do this. I feel I have a skill to use and can pass on to a community that will use it. Plus The Wild Medic Project are really the first NGO that recognises the skill of Paramedics in the Pre Hospital environment where as most are just looking for Doctors and Nurses. So it gives me a good feeling to be recognised as a medical professional.
Plus I would love to work in PNG to have what is near on a 3rd world country right on our door step and not help makes me sad.

Swampy

koalaboi

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Sadly we got Australians living in third world conditions here on the mainland...Some Aboriginal communities are really struggling.

KB

theslothman

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Good on ya mate. A Nurse from work is fund raising right now to go to Nepal. Youll most likley cross paths. Her Name is Sam. You can tell her I said hi.