Svord Von Tempsky Bowie

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
this just turned up today, a big, brutal user I won't be afraid to abuse. I was a bit concerned as some of the reviews said they had some issues with variable spine thicknesses, being shipped between 5mm and 7mm. Thankfully mine came with a full 7mm spine. Not happy with the sheath, going to make another one for it down the track. Going to wrap the handle in camo form, will need the extra cushioning as the hardwood handles transfers a lot of vibration during heavy chopping (my old man has a Von Tempsky so I know this tip)

T.C.

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Nice Dean, I never really bonded with mine, not sure why, maybe because I see them as a bit agricultural.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
They are a bit rough and ready, and I find them a bit unrefined if I am being brutally honest. As I said in the OP I will not be afraid to abuse mine, it's going to be a pure user for me.

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
They are a bit rough and ready, and I find them a bit unrefined if I am being brutally honest. As I said in the OP I will not be afraid to abuse mine, it's going to be a pure user for me.
At least when they are rough and ready , you can use the tool to their full extent .

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
At least when they are rough and ready , you can use the tool to their full extent .
agreed mate, if you are looking for a 'pretty' tool, look elsewhere, the Von Tempsky isn't the one for you, it is a bruiser, a big ugly beast ready for use and abuse. But I have to say that's part of its appeal, and why I bought it. I didn't buy it to put it on a shelf and admire it, but rather to take it out into the bush and flog the crap out of it knowing it would hold up to such use.

I will say I was a bit surprised to read some of the literature accompanying the VonTemsky, they caution you from chopping "bone and wood" with it....which took me aback a bit. Not that I will be taking that advice as far as the "wood" bit goes. I intend to be doing a fair bit of wood processing with it. AFAIAC that's what it was made to do, that and fighting.

I will take some proper pics with my new phone in natural light tomorrow and might do a vid as well showing it off so everyone sees it.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
a vid of my initial impressions of my recently acquired Svord Von Tempsky Bowie, as well as some pics of my Von Tempsky and my old man's and his Svord Hog Beater. It was a good exercise, to have them side by side. I had a good day talking knives with dad, comparing our collections and showing off each of our various pieces to each other.
The old man's Von Tempsky is one that has a 5mm spine, mine has a full 7mm, mine is a heavy beast, his is a lot lighter.

The Hog Beater is another awesome, large knife, just in a different configuration to the Von Tempsky. I may have to get a double edged version of one of them down the track myself

Last edited:

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Not the a pretty blade and a bit rough around the edges , but that is the beauty of the knife . As you said , it would be a good idea to make another sheath for it and keep the original .

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Have had this cheap Taiwan bowie style knife for quite a few years now. A 6 inch blade and has been handy for rough jobs such as cutting through kangaroo leg joints and heavier wood cutting which the little SAK I normally carry will not do.

Edge keeping is reasonable but the square handle is not very comfortable so will wrap some tape around it one of these days.

Still for the purpose I bought it the Taiwan bowie does the job and has been useful over the years.

Last edited:

T.C.

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Mine is Identical to your Dads Svord, 5mm and thick guard.... bought from Ron back in the day.

One thing to note is the timber used for the handle, it has an amazing grain and a very unique texture, I do love that aspect of the knife.

Thanks for the great comparison video Dean

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
fixed up the camo form on the handle of the Von Tempsky, I originally wrapped it a bit too think, so took off a layer and now have it about what I consider perfect, should work well, just thick enough to dampen vibration and give good grip on the handle, as it stands all I have to do now is replace the sheath.

The camo form handle mod has really transformed the feel of the knife and it now feels a lot better, hand filling and comfortable, and gives a lot of user confidence. The thumb loop lanyard is mandatory IMO, these big knives must have them on them, too dangerous without one.

I have taken some more pics, showing different angles and different parts of the knife, so people get to see various parts of these knives, they are an interesting piece that aren't too prevalent around Australia, so most probably haven't seen too many of them around the traps, let alone had the chance to see a pic spread of them or handle one (can't help with that sorry).

the knife with pared down camo formed handle

close up of the handle

the hand ground convex edge

the guard, quite stout and thick, would work well to block incoming blades

the clip

B.W. Baker and Svord logo

and the blade

looped up, in hand

open handed