BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Survivor HK 781S Sheath Knife

old4570

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Survivor.jpg

So there I was trolling FeeBay for knives ( as I some times do ) and I spied this knife .
27 Bananas shipped to my door , how bad could it be ?

Performance on the rope :

Lets get straight to it , a 250 slice fail ( rolled edge ) .
Was it a rolled edge or was it a burr ? I dont know .
But , stropping the edge brought it back as good as new . Then some 2 passes each way over green compound and it was a better edge than when I started . ( Thats nice )
A 250 fail with a rolled edge , for $27 I can live with that .

Feels / looks / N stuff .

The grip is a man sized grip . For this size / weight knife , that grip might be a little too much . Especially if you plan on doing anything fine or finicky . Also , those saw teeth on the back of the blade are just a PITA ( hand ) .. They dont need to be there . And they catch on the sheath when pulling out the knife . And if you try to choke up on the knife it just hurts .
Also the handle has some give . Squeeze hard enough and you can feel the give . ( Hollow grip ? ) . Makes me nervous about the tang ... Is it a small narrow rod like tang ? welded on or something more substantial ?
Things to like and things not to like .
It's cheap , offers decent edge holding for the $ , full grip ( good or bad ) not too heavy ( good or bad ) .
Mystery steel , tang ? , sheath is a cheap nasty but works , saw teeth - not needed ( my opinion ) ..
It's a cheap knife that looks to deliver what a knife is supposed to deliver , some cutting potential .
It's not a saw or an axe , it's not expensive and exotic . I guess it's cheap and functional .

Last edited: