BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Survival. I think it is time to talk about Climate Change!

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Common Sense ! ....................
The longer I live , the less common sense I see !

The greatest place to look at common sense ( or look for common sense ) is the road - and how people drive !
Because it is a matter of life and death ( how you drive ) .
When I was 18 , I drive everywhere - every day !
Seeing stupid homicidal drivers , was a rare occurrence .
The number of people running the red light , not even a hand full of sightings in a year ! ( 1981 )
Sure , back then , speeding was the big thing ! Everyone drove 5 to 10 over ... And some beyond that !

But now ... Every time I get in the car I see people run the red light . Some times in a 10 minute drive I will see 3 red light runners .
I have been nearly killed by red light runners ... On two occasions . Missed me by one second !
Just get on Utube and watch some dash cam ...

I drive once a week now .... And I see more stupid than I did way back when I started ! Driving every single day !
Common sense is vanishing ! & will be extinct shortly !

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Your dog would look after them; a little snack on one of their calves :D
Funny thing happens when you take dogs bush for a while, anyone who shows up gets the dogs hackles right up from my experience. And yes , thats the cattle dog instinct , a lady I knows ex got cattle dog bit on the calf, actually punctured right into his leg bone ouch !👍😁

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Common Sense ! ....................
The longer I live , the less common sense I see !

The greatest place to look at common sense ( or look for common sense ) is the road - and how people drive !
Because it is a matter of life and death ( how you drive ) .
When I was 18 , I drive everywhere - every day !
Seeing stupid homicidal drivers , was a rare occurrence .
The number of people running the red light , not even a hand full of sightings in a year ! ( 1981 )
Sure , back then , speeding was the big thing ! Everyone drove 5 to 10 over ... And some beyond that !

But now ... Every time I get in the car I see people run the red light . Some times in a 10 minute drive I will see 3 red light runners .
I have been nearly killed by red light runners ... On two occasions . Missed me by one second !
Just get on Utube and watch some dash cam ...

I drive once a week now .... And I see more stupid than I did way back when I started ! Driving every single day !
Common sense is vanishing ! & will be extinct shortly !
The Darwinian award for humanity !

Last edited:

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Funny thing happens when you take dogs bush for a while, anyone who shows up gets the dogs hackles right up from my experience.
They're very intuitive. Basil is rarely on lead, even through the middle of a city. So many people we see with dogs on leads, and most of them say that their dogs don't like other dogs. Those dogs are just reacting to the fear that they sense from their owners as they tense up when they (the owners) see another dog. Their dog looks around to see what the threat is, and bingo, cranky dog. Most dogs off lead don't have a problem with other dogs - free of that umbilical cord with their owner. However if a dog senses danger to their owner, or a threat, then many will respond; no one has to teach them that.

Basil is indifferent to most people, or curious. He's very curious if they're carrying food :rolleyes: :D

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
We solved the snail & slug problem by free ranging khaki campbell ducks in the garden 4570.
Keith.
Awesome. When I was a kid we had a herd of guinea pigs running wild in our back yard. They made me think of the herds of bison that used to run across the plains of North America. Many places let them run around like chooks; they grab a few every now and then to eat. That goes back to the time of the Incas who kept them like free range chooks too.

Free range guinea pigs

WanderOn

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Awesome. When I was a kid we had a herd of guinea pigs running wild in our back yard. They made me think of the herds of bison that used to run across the plains of North America. Many places let them run around like chooks; they grab a few every now and then to eat. That goes back to the time of the Incas who kept them like free range chooks too.

Free range guinea pigs
My daughter used to have 2 in a chook tractor on the lawn. Used to sit ang watch them. Funny little buggers to watch when they’re running around.
The 2 of them used to turn the majority of our kitchen scraps into lawn food.
Always thought about how to keep them in a more free range way. Never need a lawn mower. 😂

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
There was a conversation on Insight a week or 2 ago about ‘home invasion’ .

Home invaders that got dealt with by the occupants of the homes , and the laws .

Seems WA and South Australia has provisions in their law to protect the defenders of their homes , and the gist of the program seemed to be the recommendation of the discussion and lawyers that the other states should follow suit .

Look forward to that happening put the world right side up .

I could be pretty scarce myself though and hard to find to begin .
Corruption Self Defence Laws 3.jpg

Jordo

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I get what ur saying but I feel that is just scaremongering as the vast majority of rape and murder of women are by trusted people. Specifically family. In which case in a home situation knives are available but useless. Random attacks are a minimum threat for most people in Australia.

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Well there is still some real men out here Keith .
Although not a magic Silver bullet ........
A suitably bred cattle dog may help some women , men, children to a great extent from many of the crimes I see on tv.
Especially the sneaking in the window or unlocked door types .
Or take the cattle dog with you .

Last edited:

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I get what ur saying but I feel that is just scaremongering as the vast majority of rape and murder of women are by trusted people. Specifically family. In which case in a home situation knives are available but useless. Random attacks are a minimum threat for most people in Australia.
Unfortunately not so Jordo, there are reports of home invasions in Australia pretty much every day. There are also people kidnapped & killed. I think being able to legally carry a pepper spray or a taser could save lives. Also people who own guns, especially in rural areas, should be able to legally use those guns in a violent armed home invasion to protect their families & themselves.
Keith.

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Cant have sheep defending themselves !
Thats what the shepherds are for ...
Unfortunately the shepherds cant protect Shi* ....
THe powers that be have been moving away from self sufficiency and self protection ..
40 years ago they would have pinned a medal on you for shooting home invaders ...
Now they want to charge you with murder !

All of this because the sheeple vote for idiots ...
If the sheeple dont vote smarter , they will easily vote themselves into 23 hour home detention ... ( Oh wait - they already did !!!!! )
They also voted to cancel rights and freedoms !

This is how stupid the sheeple are ! How do you survive stupid ?
Politicians LOVE stupid people , because they vote for them !

I remember working in one place & The boss was like ..........
My grand dad voted for *****
My dad voted *****
So I vote *****
That's some retarded political thinking right there ! Your not barracking for a football team , your giving IDIOTS the power to F*** up your life !

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Kind of loosely inline with edc and a boon for everyday life, is a well put together tool box.

I bought a cheap tool set from repco while they were on a sale. It had a few basics in it and quite a bit of space. I've removed the electrical connector section and have been adding / fine tuning my own selection of tools to complement what was in there. It's really amazing - that one toolbox pretty well covers most of my needs. I have lots of tools all over the place - but I just grab my toolbox when I'm working on something. I carry tool kits in vehicles - just the basics with tools to suit the vehicles in question, but they're not as comprehensive as my general tool kit. If we go away on an mtb holiday or to work on the block - I leave out the car kit and take the comprehensive kit. I also have a tool kit that is mtb / bicycle specific, but with none of the tools that I carry in the comprehensive kit (hex and torx bits, metric spanners etc), so I take both those kits on mtb holidays. There is enough in there that I can manufacture or modify stuff too (file, portable hack saw etc). The beauty of it is, like an edc kit, I don't have to think what I need, just grab the kit.

Having something like this set up can only help if you need it in a hurry

Below is similar to what I started with; it's chokkers now :D

tool kit.jpg

Last edited:

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Kind of loosely inline with edc and a boon for everyday life, is a well put together tool box.

I bought a cheap tool set from repco while they were on a sale. It had a few basics in it and quite a bit of space. I've removed the electrical connector section and have been adding / fine tuning my own selection of tools to complement what was in there. It's really amazing - that one toolbox pretty well covers most of my needs. I have lots of tools all over the place - but I just grab my toolbox when I'm working on something. I carry tool kits in vehicles - just the basics with tools to suit the vehicles in question, but they're not as comprehensive as my general tool kit. If we go away on an mtb holiday or to work on the block - I leave out the car kit and take the comprehensive kit. I also have a tool kit that is mtb / bicycle specific, but with none of the tools that I carry in the comprehensive kit, so I take both those kits on mtb holidays. There is enough in there that I can manufacture or modify stuff too (file, portable hack saw etc). The beauty of it is, like an edc kit, I don't have to think what I need, just grab the kit.

Having something like this set up can only help if you need it in a hurry

Below is what I started with; it's chokkers now :D

View attachment 29158
Good one Randall, the right tool for the job in hand is very important.
Keith.

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
We have unique conditions here .

People do not need as much electricity as they think . If my electricity was to go , I would go back to a small solar panel and battery , really would not miss it .

Add to that a cigarette lighter plug with alligator clips and plug in usb connection for USB chargeable devices .

This would charge a phone , switch a LED light on and charge torches and spare battery banks for the phone .

Add to this a small 12 volt to 240 volt inverter . That way a haircut and shave can be had from clippers. A luxury .

The whole lot on E bay could be bought for less than 200$ (the solar , battery, Led lights and inverter before this recent business happening , not sure now how much. Bargains are still to be had from old stock .

A bigger panel will be better however as it will charge faster , so add more or upsize where you can .

The 12 volt battery being a little golf cart , fork lift job .

You will be closer to nature instantly if the grid went out , I was when traveling around in the pop top caravan this way and enjoyed it .

Shower cold from a tap with a hose , wash clothes in a bucket . No problems.
Even shower from a creek With a tin can .

Stock up on sunlight soap , can do you , the dishes if need be , and the clothes .

If the power went out here , no one should be dying from the cold , our needs are mostly different to over seas On youtube bushcraft , if you are mobile , and you figure it out our country is big enough to move towards the big orange thing in the sky follow the water , aboriginals live in towns where there is water it was pointed out to me long ago
. So much energy is spent in survival keeping warm , I spent years cutting firewood , then when I went to a warmer climate , I freed up so much more time tl do other things .

I really loved the bush in the fog , though my joints and bones thank me for the change .

Upscale your solar at will , there is really no reason for most people to suffer Here without power .

This idea of having The solar plugged into the grid seems a con job to me .

Defeats the whole purpose of self sufficiency .

old4570

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Hmmmm , Yes ... Solar ..

A large enough panel to keep 20 12 volt batteries charged ... In the US you would only need 10 batteries .
That way you could maintain a fridge / freezer ...
Or you could look at going full 12 or 24 volt ... Do they sell 12 volt fridges and freezers ..

If you wanted to OFF GRID , then going to a full 12 volt system could be worth while . ( Maybe as a secondary back up system ? )
Power inverters are not very efficient . So if starting from scratch ?

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
They have excellent batteries now , 1 battery can run a efficient travel fridge for near 2 weeks so I was told . The guy who showed me that setup had it inside a land rover with one of those fold out array solar panels the caravanners sometimes have .

May have been a lithium , was a dry or safe one that wont spill . I am no expert though if your rich , you can spend 1000$ on 1 battery if you want.
Hmmmm , Yes ... Solar ..

A large enough panel to keep 20 12 volt batteries charged ... In the US you would only need 10 batteries .
That way you could maintain a fridge / freezer ...
Or you could look at going full 12 or 24 volt ... Do they sell 12 volt fridges and freezers ..

If you wanted to OFF GRID , then going to a full 12 volt system could be worth while . ( Maybe as a secondary back up system ? )
Power inverters are not very efficient . So if starting from scratch ?
I am speaking for simple bush living , survival.

Always had gas fridge in the caravan .

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score

People do not need as much electricity as they think . If my electricity was to go , I would go back to a small solar panel and battery , really would not miss it .

Add to that a cigarette lighter plug with alligator clips and plug in usb connection for USB chargeable devices .

This would charge a phone , switch a LED light on and charge torches and spare battery banks for the phone .

Add to this a small 12 volt to 240 volt inverter . That way a haircut and shave can be had from clippers. A luxury .

The whole lot on E bay could be bought for less than 200$ (the solar , battery, Led lights and inverter before this recent business happening , not sure now how much. Bargains are still to be had from old stock .

A bigger panel will be better however as it will charge faster , so add more or upsize where you can .

You will be closer to nature instantly if the grid went out , I was when traveling around in the pop top caravan this way and enjoyed it .

Stock up on sunlight soap , can do you , the dishes if need be , and the clothes .

If the power went out here , no one should be dying from the cold , our needs are mostly different to over seas On youtube bushcraft , if you are mobile , and you figure it out our country is big enough to move towards the big orange thing in the sky follow the water , aboriginals live in towns where there is water it was pointed out to me long ago
. So much energy is spent in survival keeping warm , I spent years cutting firewood , then when I went to a warmer climate , I freed up so much more time tl do other things .

I really loved the bush in the fog , though my joints and bones thank me for the change .

Upscale your solar at will , there is really no reason for most people to suffer Here without power .

Totally agree Kindlling. My wife & I lived an 18th century lifestyle for over 20 years, & in that time we raised three sons. We had no electricity, we made our own candles & grease lamps for light. Washing was done in a copper over a fire outside. The shower was outside, the ash can toilet was outside. We cooked & boiled water over an open fire. I built our cottage from a demolished old cottage in a farmer's paddock. I built our own furniture. I hunted for meat with my flintlock fusil & I ran a trap line for rabbits. Now we have solar power, so we now have a fridge/freezer which is a real boon. But we could easily fall into an 18th century lifestyle all over again without any problem.
Keith.
Parlour Mountain Camp 001.jpg2 REDUCED.jpgCLUB HOUSE 1 REDUCED.jpg

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Totally agree Kindlling. My wife & I lived an 18th century lifestyle for over 20 years, & in that time we raised three sons. We had no electricity, we made our own candles & grease lamps for light. Washing was done in a copper over a fire outside. The shower was outside, the ash can toilet was outside. We cooked & boiled water over an open fire. I built our cottage from a demolished old cottage in a farmer's paddock. I built our own furniture. I hunted for meat with my flintlock fusil & I ran a trap line for rabbits. Now we have solar power, so we now have a fridge/freezer which is a real boon. But we could easily fall into an 18th century lifestyle all over again without any problem.
Keith.
View attachment 29160View attachment 29159
Thats pretty much how I see this whole survival thing too Keith , simplistically , although not quite that period ,

Its been made overly complicated and that’s where it needs to be realistically stripped back to , if thats where things are headed .

People fleeing drought , war , rising sea levels , poverty or in famine ,
Probably won’t be laying asleep dreaming of how to spend lavishly on a bunch of high tech junk To fill their mansions with .

If you want to store rice , get a wheely bin from bunnings , fill it up 200lt probably less in kg . Then silicone the lid shut and forget about it .

Same for flour , same for dog food .

Dog food is not much more than 20$ for 20kg At big W .

So no excuse to not be able to supplement both us and our hunting buddies diets to stretch it out .

That one foot in the bush one foot in the world will be taken advantage of as long as possible .

My hunting pup is sitting here eating a guinea fowl now , found it hit by a car he picked it up so I let him .

Opportunists , I wan’t him to know how to eat wild meat too .

They aint exactly domesticated thise guinea fowl , god knows why anyone gets the noisy things .

They certainly are not kept as pets , they have gone wild.

Last edited:

WanderOn

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score

I put a 280a/h Lithium iron phosphate in
our camper. Ordered the components directly from battery brokers in China. Cost about $800 delivered. Could have gone cheaper but paid the extra for the matched cells for a longer life. Should keep our fridge running for 2 weeks without charging. Will carry a 300W folding solar panel to keep it topped up when we’re stopped.
Intention is the battery will be the power supply of our offgrid house eventually. If we ever settle. 😁