BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

Survival. I think it is time to talk about Climate Change!

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
We have only 3 years or less within which to change society & stop the burning of fossil fuels if we are to avoid the very worst climate change disasters, this does NOT give us much time. If this is not done, then society/civilisation may collapse within the next 20 years, this will be TEOTWAWKI. Between now & the possible collapse, there is going to be a lot of suffering & death, so I think it is about time that we started accepting this & discussing how we can give ourselves the best chance of surviving anything that can be survived. That said, todays children may not survive climate change, that is how bad climate change really is.
As Bushcrafters we have many skills, so how can we best put these bushcraft skills to use to aid our survival? Are any of you prepared to leave the city if you have to? Do you have any idea where you will go if you have to leave your home? Are any of you thinking of coming together as a group to aid your survival?
Keith.
Climate Change Code Red 2.jpg

WanderOn

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Keith
This is one of my deepest fears. I seriously wonder what will happen to my kids.
We sell up/pack up this year, travel for a while and try to find a property to live a more sustainable/subsistence lifestyle.
I don’t hold a lot of faith in western society changing its ways in time but I hope this is my pessimistic view of capitalism.
I can’t wait to get out of coal mining. Going into mining seemed like such an awesome idea years ago. The industry gave me some incredible technical challenges but now realise the costs to everyone.
Intend to take the time to reassess how I live my life.

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Keith
This is one of my deepest fears. I seriously wonder what will happen to my kids.
We sell up/pack up this year, travel for a while and try to find a property to live a more sustainable/subsistence lifestyle.
I don’t hold a lot of faith in western society changing its ways in time but I hope this is my pessimistic view of capitalism.
I can’t wait to get out of coal mining. Going into mining seemed like such an awesome idea years ago. The industry gave me some incredible technical challenges but now realise the costs to everyone.
Intend to take the time to reassess how I live my life.
Great reply WanderOn, thank you. I hope you find a place out of the city mate, it will be the best investment you have ever made. We have been living off grid for over 45 years, & we are living off grid in a forest. I know what you mean about mining, I was tempted myself many years ago. My Grandfather & three of my Mother's Brothers worked down the mines in South Wales. If only we knew then what we know now, though I doubt either of us could have changed anything. But we can do the best we can do now, if not for the human race, if not for ourselves, at least for our children & grandchildren.
Regards, Keith.

WanderOn

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Keith
A lot of the decision is based on trying to set a better example for my kids. My amazing wife has been looking into farm minding while we’re travelling which involves taking care of a small farm in return for accommodation. Give us a feel for that lifestyle.
I believe the phrase “reduce, reuse, recycle’ is a hierarchy with the most important first. We need leaders who have the guts to say that we need to reduce needless consumption and manufactures who take responsibility for quality and end of life of their products.
I’m also very much in favour of the right to repair organisations.
Sorry, don’t want to make this thread all about me and my opinions.
Appreciate you bringing it up as it is a reminder I need right now to finish off everything and start my new life.
Andrew

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I don't have faith in humanity either. It is amazing the large numbers of folk who believe skynews, trump, morrison, anti covid vaccination, anti ABC and so on. It seems that a large proportion of our population just wants to make the negative choice every time. I really feel for our wildlife - next to no consideration is given to them.

Most of climate change theory hasn't taken into account the CO2 that is being released from our melting ice caps too - that is huge. I really think we're the most arrogant and destructive species on this planet. I sincerely hope we don't get to live on another planet - it will be the worst of us here who get to do so if that happens.

The future looks grim and we seem to be doing everything we can to make it happen more quickly. I would love to be amazed; I would be because I think I've lost hope over the last decade.

Last edited:

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Keith
A lot of the decision is based on trying to set a better example for my kids. My amazing wife has been looking into farm minding while we’re travelling which involves taking care of a small farm in return for accommodation. Give us a feel for that lifestyle.
I believe the phrase “reduce, reuse, recycle’ is a hierarchy with the most important first. We need leaders who have the guts to say that we need to reduce needless consumption and manufactures who take responsibility for quality and end of life of their products.
I’m also very much in favour of the right to repair organisations.
Sorry, don’t want to make this thread all about me and my opinions.
Appreciate you bringing it up as it is a reminder I need right now to finish off everything and start my new life.
Andrew
You may be talking about yourself Andrew, but there must be others on this forum who feel as you do. I find your comments refreshing & interesting & you are at roughly the same place as I was 50 years ago. I would love to be ably to follow you on your journey, & I am sure others would also.
Regards, Keith.

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I don't have faith in humanity either. It is amazing the large numbers of folk who believe skynews, trump, morrison, anti covid vaccination, anti ABC and so on. It seems that a large proportion of our population just wants to make the negative choice every time. I really feel for our wildlife - next to no consideration is given to them.

Most of climate change theory hasn't taken into account the CO2 that is being released from our melting ice caps too - that is huge. I really think we're the most arrogant and destructive species on this planet. I sincerely hope we don't get to live on another planet - it will be the worst of us here who get to do so if that happens.

The future looks grim and we seem to be doing everything we can to make it happen more quickly. I would love to be amazed; I would be because I think I've lost hope over the last decade.
I totally agree with your comment & views Randall, I do not believe that the world will change society & stop the burning of fossil fuels completely, & I believe that this is what it would take to stop climate change. Now is the time to look after ourselves as best we can, & I think NOW is a good time to start planning & acting. We have the skills, so we are ahead of the game, & even though my plans are layed & I have already prepared as far as I am able at this time, I am looking forward to hearing how others plan to prepare for what is coming. Our lives are going to change due to climate change, we may not be able to do as much recreation bushcrafting as we are used to doing now, but I think this forum is a good place to share our plans & actions.
Regards, Keith.

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
LAG --- Cause and effect --- Is approximately 50 years !
So the effects we are feeling now ............. are from what we did 50 years ago !

So ...................................... The human race is pretty much screwed if that is the case ...

Can things be changed ? The reality is that humans are some what stupid as far as intelligence goes ..
Sure we created nuclear energy , nuclear weapons , biological weapons , chemical weapons ...
How many times over can humans destroy the earth ?

And how many times over can we save the earth ?
When you prioritize destruction over doing good ...... Just look at human history and the rise and fall of civilization ..
We rise , then we fall ! Why ?
A) A possible answer is that we are quite stupid for all our alleged smarts !

Just look at that retard Putin ... Did he actually threated to destroy the world if he fails to conquer Ukraine !
He sure like to make Nuclear threats .. So why is a criminal ass hole running a country ?
And why are people letting that homicidal murdering douche be a leader ?
Because people are stupid ! That's why ...

And in many parts of the world , these murdering scum are elected into office by the stupid majority !
Stupid people elect stupid leaders / politicians ..

Sorry , but the world is screwed as long as we allow the stupid to have power !
Oh , is there a Federal election coming up !
Are you going to vote for stupid , stupid , or the other stupid ?
In fact , is there anyone that's not stupid worthy of a vote ?
I think for the first time in my life , I will make my vote NULL & VOID , because no one is worthy of my vote !
No politician out there , represents me in any shape or form .

I will vote for the party that
A) Stands for a BILL OF RIGHTS
B) A royal commission into federal politics going back 10 or 20 years
C) Holds criminal politicians liable for their actions ( That's you Howard - axis of evil )
D) A police force to police the POLICE ...
E) That actually protects HUMAN rights rather than cancelling them because they are inconvenient .

Never forget , politicians are as they do , not as they say !

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
LAG --- Cause and effect --- Is approximately 50 years !
So the effects we are feeling now ............. are from what we did 50 years ago !

So ...................................... The human race is pretty much screwed if that is the case ...

Can things be changed ? The reality is that humans are some what stupid as far as intelligence goes ..
Sure we created nuclear energy , nuclear weapons , biological weapons , chemical weapons ...
How many times over can humans destroy the earth ?

And how many times over can we save the earth ?
When you prioritize destruction over doing good ...... Just look at human history and the rise and fall of civilization ..
We rise , then we fall ! Why ?
A) A possible answer is that we are quite stupid for all our alleged smarts !

Just look at that retard Putin ... Did he actually threated to destroy the world if he fails to conquer Ukraine !
He sure like to make Nuclear threats .. So why is a criminal ass hole running a country ?
And why are people letting that homicidal murdering douche be a leader ?
Because people are stupid ! That's why ...

And in many parts of the world , these murdering scum are elected into office by the stupid majority !
Stupid people elect stupid leaders / politicians ..

Sorry , but the world is screwed as long as we allow the stupid to have power !
Oh , is there a Federal election coming up !
Are you going to vote for stupid , stupid , or the other stupid ?
In fact , is there anyone that's not stupid worthy of a vote ?
I think for the first time in my life , I will make my vote NULL & VOID , because no one is worthy of my vote !
No politician out there , represents me in any shape or form .

I will vote for the party that
A) Stands for a BILL OF RIGHTS
B) A royal commission into federal politics going back 10 or 20 years
C) Holds criminal politicians liable for their actions ( That's you Howard - axis of evil )
D) A police force to police the POLICE ...
E) That actually protects HUMAN rights rather than cancelling them because they are inconvenient .

Never forget , politicians are as they do , not as they say !
I could not agree with you more old4570, & as far as voting is concerned, as you quite rightly point out, we are stuck between a rock & a hard place. We need to sack the government & implement a whole new uncorrupt governing system. But of course that is not going to happen. What will happen after the collapse, I can't say, certainly it will be TEOTWAWKI, & of course by then it will be too late to avoid the worst of the climate change disasters. I do not expect to be alive when society collapses, but my grandchildren probably will be. They will suffer the most.
Still knowing this now is our chance to prepare for what is coming, so that my family will stand the best chance of surviving anything that can be survived. Teach the kids the skills they will need to stay alive for as long as possible. That is something we oldies can do.
Take care & stay safe.
Regards, Keith.

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Hmmm , Preparedness ...
I think for the most part ...
A) You can't live in the city ... Just look at cities anywhere in the world and how quickly things can turn to .............
B) What is civilized society = It's an ideal or an illusion fed to us by idiots !
C) Humans can turn into animals or predators if you will at the drop of a hat ! The more people around you , the more threats you have to deal with !

And should the world turn to a pile of horse dung ?
Every organization with power , Police , military - Will quickly turn on the people !
Just look at how they turned with Covid ! And that was nothing compared to a real disaster !
That drop of a hat thing !
Say a asteroid hit the Earth , or there was a nuclear war ... Global scale disaster ( which Covid was not )
There will be so many challenges , and being in the city .... There will be more predators than you can shake a stick at !
Think back to the RUM rebellion ... The people in power were out and out criminals !
What was , will be once again . Because we voted poorly !

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hmmm , Preparedness ...
I think for the most part ...
A) You can't live in the city ... Just look at cities anywhere in the world and how quickly things can turn to .............
B) What is civilized society = It's an ideal or an illusion fed to us by idiots !
C) Humans can turn into animals or predators if you will at the drop of a hat ! The more people around you , the more threats you have to deal with !

And should the world turn to a pile of horse dung ?
Every organization with power , Police , military - Will quickly turn on the people !
Just look at how they turned with Covid ! And that was nothing compared to a real disaster !
That drop of a hat thing !
Say a asteroid hit the Earth , or there was a nuclear war ... Global scale disaster ( which Covid was not )
There will be so many challenges , and being in the city .... There will be more predators than you can shake a stick at !
Think back to the RUM rebellion ... The people in power were out and out criminals !
What was , will be once again . Because we voted poorly !
It is quite obvious old4570 that you have your head screwed on the right way & have a good grip on the true facts of life. People NEED to hear that, the world is NOT a safe place. Obviously I totally agree, it is going to turn ugly sooner or later & we need to be able to handle that. Getting away from the city will be a very good start. Hopefully Bushcrafters will be able to do this & survive comfortably somewhere, but dangers will exist no matter where one decides to set up camp. At least we have the room to spread out over here, plenty of wilderness to hide in.
Regards, Keith.

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
There is lots of potential collapse triggers , climate change being amongst them .

Does not really change my plans , it was factored in a long time ago .

That being the following.
- move somewhere where it rains and there is water .
- somewhere with large and productive wilderness .
- research and begin growing suitable hardy crops .
- Become proficient hunting fishing and foraging in the chosen place .
- aquire items for survival , almost all I have is geared to this end .
- stay away from idiots , yes be able to defend yourself also , get a good dog or 2 to let you know and hunt with.
Dogs are mates , and like mates try to get ones that get you out of more trouble than they get you into .
- don’t give too much away , you don't want the stupid and especially the ignorant to show up after the fact looking to prey .

If you were down where its dry , or it gets that way up here , dig a burrow , like a half a corrugated iron water tank in to the ground and cover it with dirt in case of a fire in an open area away from burnable fuel in the bush .

Buy face masks for fire smoke , get one rated to filter it so you can survive .

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
The level of Horse Dung will dictate survival and how long you can survive ..
Moving around trying to find a safe place can kill you !
Americans love bugging out ! Or the idea of bugging out ! Which means they know they are living in a dangerous place !
If you are serious and have the means , move somewhere safe when it is safe to do so ( Like Now )
And once some where safer , make it a safe place or at least be prepared to make it safer .
For 99% of people , they are not in a position to move , be it work , family , finances , health or what ever .
+ Depending on the nature of the disaster , going anywhere could be the last thing you ever do .

The very sun that gives us life could kill us all !
Just recently there was a solar flare large enough to cook us all if the earth had been in it's path .
Or at least cook everyone sunny side up !

Do you own a gas mask , nuclear biological chemical resistant ? Forget paper masks / filters ..

And for how long do you plan on surviving ?

In really deep horse dung , you might have to think in terms of days ..
ANd then in terms of weeks
Months , & then maybe years !
No point making plans for surviving years if you cant survive a few days of deep dung !
Hell , if Yellowstone blows ! That could trigger a mass extinction event that kills **% of life .
A nuclear winter that brings about another ice age .

Or it could be a slow decline in which the powers that be turn on us ( Like Covid but worse ) ..
I mean . all the gooberments of the world turned on the people . So many went tyrant ! if not down right Nazi !
So where do you go .....
I guess you could try to vanish , I guess .
With a lack of fuel etc , less people will be moving about . So finding a quiet place might be possible ?

Again I would suggest watching that TV series alone .... Just for a quick reality check !
Talk is all well and good , but when the time comes to shovel dung . That's when it gets real .
Been bush often enough , cold N hungry N wet , tired as all hell ! Freezing my assets off !
And there is nothing like a warm home . Right Toto ! ( Woof )

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I like that K.I.S.S acronym . : Keep it simple stupid .

The basics should be taken care of first , unfortunately like bushcraft , survival has become an industry designed to bamboozle and sell you something .

We are consumers , at a basic level , hunters and gatherers.

Your comfort is on par with your preparation and imagination.
There is Can Do people , and Cant Do people .

I must say most people would not survive in the bush , because they prepared the wrong things.

The hills , ticks , wet , snakes , leeches , gympie gympie stinging plants , spiky vines , mosquitoes and dehydration will deter them here . Low energy would be a huge problem , its hard .
You can walk 20 m off the track and no one would know your there .

This comforts me to know .

I actually enjoy nature and the bush , don’t fear it , because I did the homework .

If the government gave you the rules ‘ rough guidelines’ for life , which meant you get into the bread line , or you had the choice to live freely though possible hand to mouth in the bush , ill be glad to go in the bush .

Jordo

Russell Coight
Reaction score
What makes humans, one of the 25% of species on the planet to survive a mass extinction event. We are incredibly dependant on our environment to survive. If that environment collapses around us will we be able to adapt to having barely any thing. Be a shame if the only things capable of adapting don't fall into the support network of humans. Or would it be?

Kindlling

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
What makes humans, one of the 25% of species on the planet to survive a mass extinction event. We are incredibly dependant on our environment to survive. If that environment collapses around us will we be able to adapt to having barely any thing. Be a shame if the only things capable of adapting don't fall into the support network of humans. Or would it be?
I like the idea of a fast collapse , where earth Purges the humans , not the other way around personally .
A kind of ‘ the meek shall inherit the earth ‘ and those plugged into dependency on the society will perish .

That way , if its a few degrees hotter , then plant hotter climate crops .

I believe they are able to drop seedlings from drones ln a large scale now .
If they were serious about replenishing the place , that would be a good focus , suppose that falls into “survival” from climate change .

Got to start somewhere , I’m just as happy for the human’s to skidat personally .

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Water / water / water ....
Remember the drought !
The USA is in drought right now ..
Here in Oz we nearly ran out of water .. Most Dams were dangerously low .
Some smaller towns were trucking in water .. ( No tap water )
Now , what if that drought had been twice as bad ? Think soilent green ! ( Hot Earth )
Animals dying , crops failing , serious water shortages .. Think Sahara desert !
Crazy inflation , food shortages , ....
People with money and skills going where the grass is greener ..
So a shortage of Doctors / Dentists / Nurses ....
Or the opposite ... Torrential rain and floods .. ( Didn'y we have that )
But on a larger scale ..
In the USA tornadoes are getting worse , hurricanes are getting worse ..
That's climate change .. Weather becoming more extreme ..
The last few years have been so windy !
When I was a kid , we had some really nice weather ... And now some 40 something years later .. Those nice days are a rare treat , hard to come bye .
The changes are here .. But where to go ?
Did anyone see the global fire map from when Australia was burning ?
There were wild fires almost everywhere .. Sweden / Finland / Russia / Alaska / USA / SE Asia / Europe / Africa ... It was like the world was burning .
I'll have to see if I can find it and do a screen grab ..

WanderOn

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Listened to the Glasgow Gifford lectures about the evolution of language on ABC Big Ideas.
Although it doesn’t have any answers to climate change it helps with an understanding of human nature and evolution of us.

It’s a 4 part series

Last edited:

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Those that prepare now Jordo will stand a better chance of surviving longer, but one can't adjust to extinction. If society were to collapse early, say within the next 5-10 years, then we might stand a better chance of surviving. City people will likely not survive if they have not prepared, & frankly that does not worry me. The last thing I need is raiders from the cities coming to take what we have.
Keith.