Bird Sulphur-crested Cockatoo (Cacatua galerita)

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Common Name: Sulphur-crested Cockatoo

Scientific Name: Cacatua galerita

Order: Psittaciformes

Family: Cacatuidae

Other Names:

Distribution: Sulphur-crested Cockatoos can be found widely in the north and east, ranging as far south as Tasmania.

Habitat: They avoid arid inland areas with few trees. They are numerous in suburban habitats in cities such as Adelaide, Canberra, Sydney and Brisbane.

Field Notes: It has a total length of 45–55 cm (18–22 in), with the Australian subspecies larger than subspecies from New Guinea and nearby islands. The plumage is overall white, while the underwing and -tail are tinged yellow. The expressive crest is yellow. The bill is black, the legs are grey, and the eye-ring is whitish. Males typically have almost black eyes, whereas the females have a more red or brown eye, but this requires optimum viewing conditions to be seen.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Habitat: They avoid arid inland areas with few trees. They are numerous in suburban habitats in cities such as Adelaide, Canberra, Sydney and Brisbane.
And in Melbourne too !

Recently I heard a kid describe one thus:

"Mum, you know those birds ..... ? The ones with the yellow hair ?"

It gave us all a laugh.

chutes

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Thanks mate. I always seem to get em when they're having a bit of a scratch LOL

Dusty

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I can't take all the credit, auscraft is giving me a bit of cheek re feedback. I have to confess he does take many shots with the 500mm telephoto, but I did take the last one with same camera in moving vehicle. If I didn't post many great photos would sit in our computer files.

Dusty

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Couldn't resist. At Jimna with a few cockatoos present then a huge flock arrived and everything went crazy, cockies flying everywhere right around us doing dives from tree to tree. Managed to grab auscrafts camera for these. Hope you enjoy.

Copy - DSC_5885.jpgCopy - DSC_5991.jpgCopy - DSC_5994.jpgCopy - DSC_5910.jpgCopy - DSC_6029.jpg

Last edited:

Eugenio Coscarelli

Les Stroud
Reaction score
In South Australia forms large flocks with regular roosts and midday shelters on tree-lined watercourses; the flocks fly out to open country to feedon the ground. In tropics, flocks are small; the birds are more arboreal, feeding on seeds, berries and flowers, and flowers of trees and shrubs. Has stiff-winged, irregular flap and glide flight. (page 170 Field Guide to Australian Birds - M Morcombe)