Suitable trees/plants to use for fire crafting?

Aussie Forager CQ

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Speaking of the US based plants, I came accross plenty of Mulefat in certain parts of QLD growing as an invasive weed on roadsides. As I didn't have time to stop I have never used it but have heard it is awesome and would love to try it. It may find it's way over to you possibly. Also check if there are any Conyza sp over your way, they aren't too bad from what I have tried.

Another great Aussie one is Hibiscus Tileaceus, it mainly grows along the coast but it does go inland a bit, especially if it is planted ornamentally. If it is in your area you are set. On a recent trip I harvested some growing in Sydney! Also noticed some Lantana growing at Taronga Zoo, I didn't realise it was down that far.

I have regularly heard of Typha sp (Cumbungi, Bullrushes, Cats Tail) being used for drills but have never tried it. I have heard of Sow Thistle stalks too. Sesbania sp is also worth looking into in your area.

It is mainly a tropical plant but Macaranga would be worth checking to see if it is around too.

jakeyarwood

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Speaking of the US based plants, I came accross plenty of Mulefat in certain parts of QLD growing as an invasive weed on roadsides. As I didn't have time to stop I have never used it but have heard it is awesome and would love to try it. It may find it's way over to you possibly. Also check if there are any Conyza sp over your way, they aren't too bad from what I have tried.

Another great Aussie one is Hibiscus Tileaceus, it mainly grows along the coast but it does go inland a bit, especially if it is planted ornamentally. If it is in your area you are set. On a recent trip I harvested some growing in Sydney! Also noticed some Lantana growing at Taronga Zoo, I didn't realise it was down that far.

I have regularly heard of Typha sp (Cumbungi, Bullrushes, Cats Tail) being used for drills but have never tried it. I have heard of Sow Thistle stalks too. Sesbania sp is also worth looking into in your area.

It is mainly a tropical plant but Macaranga would be worth checking to see if it is around too.
Cheers for the info buddy. I'll look into all of those and see whats available where I am :)

Aussie Forager CQ

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
No worries mate. Hairyman gave me a great tip a while ago for checking what species are in your area. In QLD at least it is a species list from the Department of Environment and Resource Management. Very good resource if you can find something similar.

Jeepcreep

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Cat tails will work for hand drills,but may be to fragile for a bow drill.An insert on the business end of a cat tail hand drill will extend the life of the stalk.Here in the Us,cat tails are plentiful,and have many uses.

kiwibro

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I know very little about friction fire but I do know that a thistle flower before it seeds is great tinder. Just crack it open a little and drop in the ember. And viola you have flame.

jakeyarwood

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
No worries mate. Hairyman gave me a great tip a while ago for checking what species are in your area. In QLD at least it is a species list from the Department of Environment and Resource Management. Very good resource if you can find something similar.
Oh that sounds like a good move. I plan on stocking my library with various tree/plant identification books when money allows but until then I'll see if there is a similar resource available here in WA!

Aussie Forager CQ

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Nice suggestion. Those methods are certainly on my (never ending) to do list :) Think I'll ease into the whole friction fire thing w/ hand drill and bow drill first though :D
Don't worry, Fire Thong is still on my list too :)

Paul from Junglecrafty on YouTube has a bunch of great friction fire videos IMO

For referencing, EatTheWeeds.com is a great free online resource for plant I'D. It is very useful for foraging even in Australia as many plants have been introduced here. There is the occasional reference to friction fire plants on the site.

Also I have had Bow Drill success with Duranta erecta aka Geisha Girl. It is commonly grown (up here) as a hedge. Has some thorns but when let get big has quite straight stems. Apparently goes wild a bit too. Assumingly other Duranta sp would be ok.

sokorny

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Right on! That's a great way to teach young folk. Thanks for the info also, I'll keep my eyes peeled for Lantana.
Lantana is a declared pest/weed in WA and therefore landowners need to take measures to eradicate the species on their land. Therefore you won't find a lot of it here in WA, and it also prefers more sub-tropical climates (around north coast NSW and Queensland very prevalent ... especially in pine plantations, I remember working on the Sunshine coast and being issued chainsaw chaps to take inventory in the pine plantations because of it). It is an introduced species (from central/south America).

When I did a bush survival course with Bob Cooper years ago we used the balga (grasstree, blackboy) spear for the drill.

ChrisM

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using horseweed/fleabane,
i have seen some patches with ones finger-thick for about 1m and about 2meters total hight.
On an outdoor course that I attended, we used fleabane for a hand drill. It worked well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk