Bird Striated Pardalote (Pardalotus striatus)

Dusty

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Scientific name: Pardalotus striatus

Common Name: Striated Pardalote

Order: Passeriformes

Family: Pardalotidae

Other Names: N/A

Distribution: Throughout Australia

Habitat: Eucalypt forests and woodlands in tree crowns.

Field Notes: Around in autumn, displays on bare twigs. These birds often present with thornbills. Variation in colour according to race. Total of 6 races classified. Basically a tiny bird, mostly olive grey with yellow lores. Crown black, white streaked in some races. White stripe on wing bar in flight, with red or yellow spot on dark wings. Back of bird is brown with a paler rump. The tail is black and white tipped. Throat yellow, underparts pale, and flank yellow. Size: 9- 11.5 cm.

Photos by Dusty, April 2012. Location: my yard.

Copy - DSC_0057.jpgCopy - DSC_0058.jpg

This is race D 'Black-headed Pardalote' (melanocephalus) which is found in SE to mid-N QLD. As you can see from the pics this bird has a plain black crown, wide black eye line to the nape, no facial streaks and a red wing spot. However the wingspot it also be orange. It also has a wide white wing stripe with secondaries that are white edged. The rump is tan.

Reference:
Simpson, K. & N. Day, (2010). Field guide to the birds of Australia. 8th edition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dusty

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Nikon D3100 and 300mm lense. I was tucked up inside a pepperina tree taking these pics. Had a couple of front on shots but leaves were in the road and came out a bit blurred. No sighting of bird today. Will go back to spot same time next couple of days and see if bird is still around. Just have a few prey birds out right now. Got a wedge flying over top as I am posting.