Stockmans quart pot

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ive been researching Australian portable cooking kits. It would be great to supply aussie bushcrafters something which not only works but has a bit of history. I'm trying to find a transportable cooking setup with a bit of history that we call our own. With our history there has to be something adaptable to bushcraft here that we can brow from.

Ive been looking at stockmans quart pots. I know alot of bushman would just use a tin can or whatever they can get their hands on with a makeshift bail.
Ord River does this one with a companion cup. I think they are made in india but looks ok. Stainless steel.

They have a nice leather carry case for it but it could be adapted better to work for on foot.

Here is an old leather case and quart pot kit.

Does anyone have any information on quart pots or any Australian specific cooking kits for that matter?

Cheers,

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
My Grandfather (Maternal) had a similar setup when he was droving cattle up North.

They were quite common among the drovers and were even taken overseas with the Lighthorse to the middle east, from memory I have also seen pictures of them used during the Boer war by the Mounted Rifles and NSW lancers of the period.

Smarteee

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Hi Blake,

I've been playing around with different concepts to accompany my go-to cooking pot (A Titanium Snow Peak 600). I have lots of very different and interesting ideas regarding making up an Australian built cooking/Billy kit. I do like playing around with Titanium, chiefly because it's light and very tough. I'd be very interested in furthering some of my ideas to the production stage. Take a look at some of my videos for the kind of equipment I've been making at home ( Please excuse the Star Wars theme...;) ) -

http://www.youtube.com/user/nudgabollocks?feature=mhee

And from Lepmeister a view of my Pot hanger -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr4PeMumgs4

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
The bedourie oven comes to mind, there could be related items to those too.... Or we could design mini versions. The old Australian army mess kits with a bowl on top of a fry pan, an alloy mug and knife fork spoon that fit together are the only other thing that comes to mind.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Awesome stuff Smarteee thats a fantastic well thought out bit of gear you have there. Really clever and well made. Great idea something like that would be a great addition to the light weight scene, especially for such a popular item like the snow peak.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
... this one with a companion cup. I think they are made in india but looks ok. Stainless steel.
I don't have much info, but that's sometimes called a "quart pot and pannikin" often contained in a saddle bag - like the one in your pic.

I've seen R.M. Williams sell a few similar items. They have a "Quart Pot" and a "Traditional Quart Pot" if you look on their site.

(No Affiliation)

darren

Templar
Reaction score
Lucky Country, where the geckos are paid to l
Blake
I like the idea of an "Australian" buscraft pot. The quart pot idea is good and is designed oval to lay flat against a horse. If your going to market one you might as well make somthing different to what everybody else sells. Maybe a modern twist on the old style

Smartee
I have been using a snowpeak 600 as my cookpot for years, there great. With your baking insert, do you use water? i have always put a few pebbles in the bottom, a bit of water, then the muffin mix in a silicon muffin mould. You can cook lile this on a gas stove if you want or a fire. The muffin rises like normal but just dosnt have a crispy top.

I would like to see more of your pot hanger though

Darren

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been using a snowpeak 600 as my cookpot for years, there great. With your baking insert, do you use water? i have always put a few pebbles in the bottom, a bit of water, then the muffin mix in a silicon muffin mould. You can cook lile this on a gas stove if you want or a fire. The muffin rises like normal but just dosnt have a crispy top.
Hi Darren, I'd love to see a thread about that. Any chance of doing a quick cook-off and snapping some photos ?

Last edited:

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
I like the round Stockmans quart pots and you can get several leather carry cases styles or make yourself.

Smarteee

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Hi Guys, thanks for checking out my vids and commenting on the Snow Peak Accessories.

I've been through various personal cook set ups over that last couple of years, but for the last six months or more I've kinda settled with the Snow Peak 600. It's a great little pot. Strong, light, cheap and doesn't take up too much pack space.

I've done plenty of muffin baking using the baking plate & I'd be open to any other suggestions for things I could cook/bake.

I've also been playing around with Titanium additions to my SP600 for a while. I have quite a few more ideas on other extras as well. I'm currently traveling overseas, but when I get back I may get busy making a batch of the Titanium baking plates and pot hangers to fit both the SP600 and a few other pots.

Thanks again.

Smarteee

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Oops forgot to mention. Yes, Darren, I do use water. I put enough in the pot that it won't burn dry, but also doesn't flood over the top of the baking plate.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Picked up a new SS quart pot in Kingaroy today..$ 39. Very compact, no makers mark.
It seems they are still a little popular with horse people.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
I purchased this preloved open ended quart pot case yesterday. (Thanks Auscraft for the heads up)
The retaing strap needs replacing but it has a nice use patina.
DSCF5582 (640x443).jpgDSCF5581 (640x467).jpg

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I got the more modern one ..

[video=youtube;f1ZcqAoSxWc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1ZcqAoSxWc[/video]