State forest and national parks maps

Kindliing

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score

Here's the Queensland government website for the state forest and national parks maps .

They are in PDF format.

From what I could see they're not really very detailed and I'm wondering if anyone has any information on where to get more topographic type maps , either online or to buy paper maps for carrying.
Any information appreciated thanks.

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
There is this site, Qld government. They say they don't print maps anymore. You can zoom in as much as you like and print. I zoomed in as much as I could on charters towers and got the following (just a screen dump - you can run through their instructions to "select the map scale, paper size and other map features"

Kindliing

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Wow , that's really cool , I looked on the phone. Thanks.
I don't have a computer , though I may be able to use one in a library sometime.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
There are lots of phone apps about for maps. These all have fully "offline" mode, so you don't need data once you've downloaded the bits you want:

Avenza Maps - designed to work with many of the Vic Parks maps (not sure about Qld Parks)
Trakarta Lite
OsmAnd
and of course you can select a region on Google maps and then select "Offline Maps" and it will download that section to your phone

many others too...
(no affiliation)

Kindliing

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Thanks Aussie , appreciate it.
They are really good fun I see for zooming around checking out areas before hand .
Now I'm realising .

I'm still going to try find physical maps to stick in my waterproof auscam map case I've got . plus find a waterproofing method (hairspray ?)
As I'm thinking in long term ways, batteries going flat , things get wet , plus the whole losing perspective of having to zoom around in and out .
My phone screens probably 4 iinches.

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I use maps primarily; because it's a skill I want to keep. I usually walk through winter; the drier months I'm into mtb. So all my maps are laminated. We have a map shop right in hobart that will laminate any map. However, before coming here I used to cut up topographical maps into a4 size and laminate them - 2 a4 maps in one lamination. A4 laminators and the envelopes are pretty cheap. If you're printing off your own maps you can just print the areas you're interested in. One point though; include a copy of the legend somewhere in there or separate but keep it with your maps.

Askew

Ray Mears
Reaction score
If you want to buy paper maps I'd suggest you get them while you can. I was chasing some up in Katoomba recently and was told they aren't going to be printing them anymore.

Kindliing

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I ended up buying a Garmin etrex 10 handheld GPS thingy-mabob too.

Thick tropical forests in the north makes compass travel difficult when theres little forward visibility and lots of zig zagging around plants that sting, grab and skewer.

Being that the sun shifts between the tropic of Capricorn towards the equator throughout the seasons , means even finding rough north consistently can be hard via the wristwatch method.

Now I am putting waypoint locations in it , so at least if I wander away from somewhere I may not know where I'm headed , but it can point me back to where I came from.
That's the theory , now trying to understand how to use it. It is complicated.

Its supposed to be a fair bit water proof. And knock resistant.
When out of mobile reception range the phone says " emergency calls only".

I have never rang an emergency number out bush, however I imagine having GPS coordinates would also be useful if anyone ever wanted to.26846

Last edited:

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
... and you should also consider the "Emergency+" app for your phone. (and quite a few other emergrncy services if you check inf "i" info tab)

That will connect you to 000, SES or Police, and gives you your lat/long and street address (if youre in an urban area).
(No afflication)