BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spinifex king single drifter swag

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep def for car based stuff, not my thing either but a good discount. It amazes me that a store can drop prices and still be making a few bucks, mark up must be good 😉😉

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I think sales like this keep people interested, then they look at other stuff. I'm sure they do all their studies and blah blah blah. Personally most things I buy are on special - I work the system :D

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
The key to smart savings is don't look at other gear 😉😉 ... your right, that's where they can get you, I just get the discounted item and POQ ASAP 😎

Kindliing

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I know this is an older thread ,

i had a single dome swag thrown in with some other gear I bought recently.
The brand name is wild country.

It has no mattress. I was impressed by its weight relatively and size , can get two hands around it rolled up touching fingers and thumbs without anything inside , it has canvas top and mossie net and the black base made of something (strong waterproof) else.

These days we have good quality light or ultralight inflatable mattresses.

We also have really light and pack down small sleeping bags.

The swag takes the place of tarp (if need be) , groundsheet , tent , mossie net etc . Or the like. Which then makes the added weight less.

And can be worn old style slung behind the back ,horseshoe over the shoulder , horseshoe over a pack or as I'm playing with , added to a webbing harness setup.

It can sit around the hips like a belt strapped above the other pouches , or go in the other mentioned manners also with the h harness.

It's another one of those pieces of gear I acquired which I didn't appreciate until I had it.

It could probably out last most other options long term , and is pretty luxurious in the right weather.

Came minus the hoop poles , however can easily be tied up off the face and added makeshift stick spreaders , poles etc.

Last edited:

Kindliing

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Here it is slung over a medium field pack for an idea of size. 27276

Kindliing

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I keep coming back to the swag as it’s so cosy and durable , finally got around to weighing it today .this one has the half zippered mosquito net .
It’s About 3.2 kg by itself , without mattress or bedding inside .

can use a ultralight inflatable pad and pillow .
It’s still holds It’s place and I reckon there’s no need to think it’s really too heavy to be of any use these days .

Re: the folded in half queen sheet
then sewed up Along the bottom and 2/3 up the side mentioned . I do that also and use with wool blanket and the foam mattress , saves mucking around down the feet end once inside . EF324426-6C1E-476D-BB0C-6B0CAA4D5464.jpeg

Last edited:

Kindliing

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I’m still loving the swag after a night out this week , so here is some more weight numbers,

if I use a
-snugpak jungle bag -900gm .

-Nemo Astro wide/ long sleep pad 890 gm .

- sea to summit ultralight Aeros large pillow -114 gm .

That would be 1.9 kg for this lot plus the 3.2 for the swag which works out a total of *5.1 kg .
F2DE7A21-4D28-4CB6-B5EB-746EAE10990E.jpeg

Last edited:

Kindliing

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
If I use a a recon 3 gen 2 sleeping bag - 1.35 kg .

the Nemo Astro long/ wide sleep pad -890 gm .

And Sea to summit ultralight Aeros large pillow 114 gm .

with the 3.2 kg swag that is *5.55 kg total .

the weights for the pad , pillow and bags are from online , the scales I have these small weights are too finicky for them .

The swag will make the temp ratings a lot better in cool weather than a bivvy , no contest weight wise with the bivvies though .

the jungle bag lists 7 deg c as comfortable ,
The heavier recon bag lists -5 deg c , these numbers of course are subjective to each individual .
(Note , would prefer to have a wide feet ended sleeping bag in a swag and not the mummy shape bags )

AE4E97E7-9C78-435C-85A8-1E7FFB7653C3.jpeg

Last edited: