Spam spam on forum

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Have noticed on other Australian forums much the same spam attacks. Seems someone in New Dehli is desperately trying to raise some cash.

Edit: Russian as well in Russian cryllic text which only a handful of people here could read.

Last edited:

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Its been bad the last three weeks, its like an onslaught attack, i have at the moment 26 new member join ups and they are mostly Russia and Nederlands and they all have high spam activity notifications , so they are NOT getting in thats for sure. .... thank goodness i can check logged ips lol.

Odd thing is the latest two spammers that hit us joined upp last Feb, so been dormant for months .

Have noticed on other Australian forums much the same spam attacks. Seems someone in New Dehli is desperately trying to raise some cash.

Edit: Russian as well in Russian cryllic text which only a handful of people here could read.

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I wonder at the purpose of it? I can't imagine they'd get money out of anyone.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
This might be one reason; “Spammers target forums because they think that the pages in the forum will get crawled by search engines and the links in the spam posts will get indexed. The more popular the forum, the more attractive it becomes to spammers because the forum has a higher Google page rank”

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
This might be one reason; “Spammers target forums because they think that the pages in the forum will get crawled by search engines and the links in the spam posts will get indexed. The more popular the forum, the more attractive it becomes to spammers because the forum has a higher Google page rank”
That is something which did not occur to me as have little understanding how these things work. Seems the reason why as it gets the spammer more exposure to their marketing.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
You could be right on the money Thrud, I can view all visitations on the forum, right now there are at least a dozen web crawlers and bots, indexing pages.

Guess we just have to be vigilant to spammers that have got through in past months, I am keeping an eye on the front gate, so IF any older sign ups become active and spam can you all just send a report and I will get to it ASAP. I am the only Mod On here at the moment, I don’t post a whole heap BUT i check in every day. 😉😉

Cheers Mozz

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
That is something which did not occur to me as have little understanding how these things work. Seems the reason why as it gets the spammer more exposure to their marketing.

Only exposure they are going to get here is a mozzie sting their butt as I kick them out the front gate 🤪🤪

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
My post on why is not original, I just Googled and pasted. I had no real idea of the benefit to them.

I’ve cancelled my ever increasing monthly donation to the Liberian orphaned unicorn rescue haven as well.