Souvlaki on a Spit

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps not Bush Tucker - but we were in the bush at the time !

A small group of us were car camping and I was keen to have a communal meal – as we traditionally do.

This time it was lamb souvlaki cooked on a spit.

We used the spit attachment from a friend’s BBQ, just a standard 240v spit which you can get from any BBQ type shop,
there are some battery powered units on the market, be we had access to this one, so that’s what we took.

It is 240v, but that’s not a problem for car camping because we have 4wds, with dual batteries and an inverter.
The spits draw just a bit under 1 amp, so no problems with power.

We had made a small wooden “mount” for the motor, which would fit onto the legs of a tripod.
P1260224 (Large).jpg

For a quick and easy souvlaki we bought a pre-made one. There’s a shop nearby which makes and sells them to order. This was 2kg of lamb, which proved adequate to make up 15 souvlakis, perhaps a few less if you like a lot of meat (?)
It had been marinaded and was cryo-vaced for ease of transport and to seal in the marinade.

We threaded the meat on the spit and set it turning. All up it took about 2 hours and was cooked through, ready to eat.
You will notice the foil wrapped around the motor – this was to deflect the deflect from the fire.
P1260222 (Large).jpg

I lightly toasted the souvlaki bread in a fry pan (bought his it the local supermarket). Added some tzatziki, lettuce, tomato and chilli sauce
P1260225 (Large).jpg

Absolutely fabulous !
P1260226 (Large).jpg

We’ve done a couple of roasts before on a camp fire spit, but souvlaki is a definite winner.

Walker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Mate, that looks REALLY good. I've never cooked on a spit/rotisserie, so to stop it from burning or drying out, is it just a matter of low heat for the two hours, like normal indoors cooking?
(I just had dinner, but there's ALWAY room for a k-bab!)

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Walker, Yes, the photos don't show it, but we had half the pit burning and we scraped a lovely bed of coals under the meat. Steady heat, probably 20 cm above the coals.

If it gets too hot, you can scrape coals away. When we've done roasts, you sometimes need to wrap a bit of foil around any bits which are cooking too fast.

The beauty of a souvlaki is that if its undercooked, you can just shave the outside and fry it up a bit - like in a shop. The other benefit is that because the consistency is even (ie its really just a series of steaks on a stick), it seems to cook quicker and more evenly that a roast.