South African Water Bottle

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has ever seen a SS cups canteen for a South African Water Bottle?
For those that don't know what they are, they look like this.

DSCF1416.jpg

They are a fantastic piece of kit IMHO as they have a 2l capacity for only slightly larger than a 1l army canteen and are very robust.
They stand up nicely on their own, as opposed to the 1l canteen.
I often use mine in conjunction with my 2l or 3l water bladder as this bumps up my water carrying capacity easily and I tend to use it when I am in camp for cooking etc, saving my bladder more for when I am on the frog and toad.
However the SAWB's biggest fault is that I have never been able to find a cups canteen for it.
One of the only reasons I carry my 1l canteen is because of the cup and stove, which is great. but the kidney shape is not ideal for putting on a stove as it tends to topple easily.

comparative 1.jpg

A rectangular cups canteen with a crusader-styled handle and about half the depth of the bottle (about 1l) with a detachable hinged lid which could be used as a frypan, and a similar styled stove, would be ideal.
I'm not holding my breath but if anyone knows of anything, please let me know.
Mods, I've probably done it again and put this in the wrong spot. Feel free to move as required.
Cheers
Bloffy

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has ever seen a SS cups canteen for a South African Water Bottle?
For those that don't know what they are, they look like this.

They are a fantastic piece of kit IMHO as they have a 2l capacity for only slightly larger than a 1l army canteen and are very robust.
They stand up nicely on their own, as opposed to the 1l canteen.
I often use mine in conjunction with my 2l or 3l water bladder as this bumps up my water carrying capacity easily and I tend to use it when I am in camp for cooking etc, saving my bladder more for when I am on the frog and toad.
However the SAWB's biggest fault is that I have never been able to find a cups canteen for it.
One of the only reasons I carry my 1l canteen is because of the cup and stove, which is great. but the kidney shape is not ideal for putting on a stove as it tends to topple easily.

A rectangular cups canteen with a crusader-styled handle and about half the depth of the bottle (about 1l) with a detachable hinged lid which could be used as a frypan, and a similar styled stove, would be ideal.
I'm not holding my breath but if anyone knows of anything, please let me know.
Mods, I've probably done it again and put this in the wrong spot. Feel free to move as required.
Cheers
Bloffy
I don’t know the exact dimensions and I haven't seen one in person, but perhaps one of these ….. ?

Gerber_31_001062_4f5561fa2bc0a.gif

Gerber Bear Grylls Canteen
The canteen says size: 10" x 6" x 3"

GTVi

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I think they only come in pouches from what I can find.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Aussie123. I knew if I put it out there someone might come up with the goods. I'll have to check that out. I think BCF stock the BG range. I'm home soon, that might be the go. You're a champion. Bit on the pricey side, Aluminium and BG but might do the trick. Otherwise might have to see my local sheet steel bloke. He's used to me coming in with weird ideas now.
Cheers
Bloffy

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Aussie123. I knew if I put it out there someone might come up with the goods. I'll have to check that out. I think BCF stock the BG range. I'm home soon, that might be the go. You're a champion. Bit on the pricey side, Aluminium and BG but might do the trick. Otherwise might have to see my local sheet steel bloke. He's used to me coming in with weird ideas now.
Cheers
Bloffy
It may not fit, but the $ for a fabrication can be pretty steep too !
Mind you, you may decide to make a few and sell them to cover your costs ?

Also a visit to various $2 shops may reveal a suitable SS “lunch box” or canister which may do the job, with the addition of some handles

What are the dimensions of the canteen, ie a “cup” with a base of LLcm x WWcm will fit the canteen ?
I’m planning a lunchtime walk to a $2 shop (if the thunder storms have stopped), I’ll keep an eye out if you like ?

GTVi

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
South African Water Bottle

Height 21cm
Width 13cm
Depth 9cm
Lid height 5cm

Last edited:

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Thanks GTVi, I take it that is the bottle dimensions or is that the BG canteen?
Mine just got packed up today for my trip home soon. yay.
Had a bit of a look around in kitchen shops, KMart etc before but usually I don't have the bottle with me and then I get distracted (Goldfish syndrome) and go off on another tangent.
Might get serious when I get home as I've got a bit of leave due me. (Don't tell the wife. She thinks I am weeding the garden, cleaning the shed, mowing the lawn and laying pavers...)
Will measure the bottle and compare it then. I did mean to do it last night when I posted this but that Goldfish Syndrome cut in again. (Curse it).
Cheers
Bloffy

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Bloffy "However the SAWB's biggest fault is that I have never been able to find a cups canteen for it.
One of the only reasons I carry my 1l canteen is because of the cup and stove, which is great. but the kidney shape is not ideal for putting on a stove as it tends to topple easily."

Bloffy I think you will find S.A.A. also used their version of the 1 lt bottle on webbing with cups canteen and the 2lt bottle for packs hence no cups canteen for them. You may be lucky and find something that could be converted to fit , think outside of the square look at baking pans that may need to be cut in hieght and handles added(you know what i mean, I hope)

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Auscraft, thanks mate.
I was just thinking today (surprisingly) following Aussie123's suggestion, that I get a SS baking pan and cut it both front to back and left to right so it fitted, and remove the lip of the pan and roll the edge.
Most of that I could do at home I think and then just get it welded.
I wouldn't think that would turn out too expensive. And then get some handles tacked on as well.
Thought rolled on to creating a lid by using the bottom of another pan cut similarly so I could fit it over the bottom when not required but fit it as a lid when boiling. Add a small slide in/out handle and I would have a fypan. If I cut some bird mesh as a stand I could have a most versatile cook set/cups canteen. Team that with my Jetboil and I would be set up pretty nicely, methinks.
Food for thought. Give me a new project to play around with. (I can already see the wife rolling her eyes).
Cheers
Bloffy

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Aussie123 Thanks for the link. That gave me a great idea.
Here's (very roughly) what I have in mind. I'm getting better with Paint but it's still not a great drawing programme.
(If anyone knows of a free one which allows you to draw easily, let me know - back to subject at hand).

Frypan and cups canteen.jpg

Firstly NOT drawn anywhere to scale. All by Mk I eyeball and rough as guts.
The bottom right is the cups canteen with a fold flat pair of handles (blue) a la Crusader kit style.
The top right is the upside down (lid mode) frypan/lid. The red bit is the handle in closed mode and the green is the handle extended for use when cooking. and it just slides in and out as required.
What do you guys think? Would this work?
I guess there is only one way to find out. I'll let you know how it pans out.
Cheers
Bloffy

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
@Boffy13 - that looks really good, there's no reason why it wont work.

A couple of thoughts:
- just consider the size of the cup, esp the height. You may end up with a very big cup, which may be your intention, but it will be correspondingly slow to heat if it become a "billy size" rather than a cup size

- A play off on the size will be its stability when put onto a stove / fire of your choice.

- I really like the lid idea with sliding handles. You should consider having a locking mechanism, so they stay out when you're cooking. You can probably do this by kinking the wire so it will lock into the sleeve when its open.

- Another idea would be to make the lid a size such that it can be stored by attaching it to the outside base of the cup (wide enough diameter to go over it). I find it a bugger that it is difficult to carry and store most lids, and I think this would be a simple solution.

Good luck with this, it should be great

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Bloffy
I have one thought about the lid altough I like your idea.
The handle should like on the mess kits (dixie set) fold around the side keeping the base of lid/pan flat. I agree with Aussie 123 the lid should fit the outer of cup .

good luck and when you make a set let us know you may need to make a few extras:)

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
I no longer have my army mess tins so I can't check, but would the SA water bottle ( except for the neck of course) fit inside the Australian or British rectangular dixie?
What mess tins did the SA army use BTW?
Googling reveals they used mess tins of the same size and pattern as the Australian Army circa Vietnam which are slightly smaller than the WW2 pattern

Last edited:

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
@ Aussie123 and Auscraft: My intention is that the lid will fit over the top as a lid, go underneath for storage and be flipped over for use as a pan. I thought about the idea of the mess tin type handles however I think they rattle too much for my likes.
As I said I ain't Rembrandt and Paint is not easy to use.
I do like the idea of some sort of locking set up for the pan handle so it doesn't slide in unexpectedly.
I was thinking you could just slide the handle out just a bit to use as a lid lifter.
I don't think the pan would need to be too deep, only a centimetre or so to stop my bacon and eggs from sliding off. The cup itself, I would work out so that it held about a litre tops. Don't think I have ever used more than that by myself.
@Moondog55: The mess tins are, I believe, no longer issued as they are made of aluminium and the associated Alzheimers problems (I think, but I can't quite remember).
I have a set at home but I tend to shy away from them as well for the same reason. (If the army aren't using them, I'm not super game to try.)
Just had a thought about the stove. Maybe I could fashion one of those fold flat type dohickys that you could sit a hexi under, a fuel stove or a small fire. Will have to give this a bit more thought. Gunna have to speak to My Long Suffering But Ever Loving Wife about a dremmel-type tool for Christmas. She loves me, really.
It would all have to be relatively thin to speed up heating, keep the weight down but thick enough to survive the journey.
Cheers
Bloffy

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a suggestion for the pan handle, although the fold-around handles shouldn't rattle if they are snug in a bag.

Not sure if you can make sense of this, but if you squeeze the (wire) handles, the "V" notches can slide to the right and will lock in place. In the pic, they are locked closed.
A wide metal "strap" is securing the handle in place :
IMAG0225 (Small).jpg

You would need an "end stop" to the left to stop it sliding out when closed.

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
@ Aussie123: That is the kind of simple stuff that helps make good ideas better.
@ Templar: That is a good looking kit. Are they still made or is that a museum piece? Might have to nip off now and have a look.
Cheers
Bloffy