source of Aussie flint

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I am after anyone who can supply me with Aussie flint. I know there is flint in South Australia and I am hoping there is someone running around down there that could supply me with a good quantity of flint.

I am more than happy to pay for it, plus postage.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
How much are you after ? Its heavy stuff to post !
(I may be heading that way again later in the year - covid permitting)

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Definitely hit up Malachai @ Rocky Instincts. Hes a great guy and I have some of his flint myself and its beautiful.

Chert's a good option If your looking for something else more common. If you are after something unique, pretty and fun for knapping practice then there is also Mookaite, its a Radiolarite with low silica as I understand so its pretty brittle if your making practical tools but fun for knapping. GemStoneGeeks sell roughs online

Last edited:

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Malachai at Rocky Instincts seems to have some for sale ....
thank you mate, just contacted him and ordered 3kg's of flint. I will be supporting this company far more from now on as I will always want to buy Aussie flint rather than importing it.

Chigger

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Just ordered 3 kg's of flint from Malachai as well. Good this came up as did a couple of camping outings only a few days ago. Mighty chilly, hit -3C in the mornings.

Sucessfully lit two fires flint and steel however my flints are now worn. Having already been split and reknapped a number of times have come to the point of no longer being useful.

So looking forward to the 3kg's of flint turning up.

Sorry no photo's of my firelighting as forgot to take my camera.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I am going to build up a good supply of Aussie flint, as Chigger notes it has diminishing gains and eventually becomes nonviable.

Just for info 3kg's costs $54 which from what I found is very reasonable, I've paid $74 for 1kg of English flint just recently.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
got my 3kg's of spalled flint today, here's it is laid out, lots of good sizes ranging from fist sized chunks down to nice tinderbox sized flakes

and a video review of how it sparks

Chigger

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Wow what an array of flint. I have an order for the same with Malachai as well and can hardly wait for it to turn up. Looks an excellent grade of flint.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
weighed it out mate and it was 3.6kg's, and as I said a range of good sizes. I would also give him a bit of leeway at the moment with the transition over shipping methods. I hope Malachi will look after you mate.

I have had the opportunity to test the best flint from all over the world, England, America and now Australia and can say this stuff easily compares with any flint I have used.

Everyone goes on about Norfolk flint and it is great and I have a good quantity of it on hand and so I can do a fair comparison, this flint sparks just as well. The only thing I would say is Norfolk flint isn't as chippy and tends to be a little bit more robust in use.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
A member from ABF was good enough to secure 2.8kg's of Aussie flint for me, turned up today, very happy with the haul most was ready to use with only one pieced needed to be spalled.

Again just wanted to thank Warrick(the ABF member) for doing this for me.

as received

and after it was spalled

testing Warrick's harvested Aussies flint for sparking ability, as shown it sparks well and I got embers from every piece he sent me. This is quality flint and works well.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad you have a good supply.
It doesn't look like I'll be that way any time soon ...

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I'm glad you have a good supply.
It doesn't look like I'll be that way any time soon ...
I have well over 6 kg's on hand now mate, so I am set for a good while. Thanks for the offer anyway.

Warrick (the ABF member who harvested the flint above) ended up getting around 30kg's of flint like shown in my post and he was saying the beach he got it from was about 200m long and the flint was in a layer about 4m deep. He grabbed only the black flint (at my request as I like black flint) but he said there was lots of grey and mottled flint there as well.

He is selling off the lot if anyone is interested through ABF.

Chigger

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Lovely looking flint from Warwick, very dark. Still waiting for my delievery from Malachi.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Lovely looking flint from Warwick, very dark. Still waiting for my delivery from Malachi.
it is very nice flint.

Concerning your order mate I would be following him up again. You ordered it around the same time as me and should have it by now.

Spalling it was an experience, had little shards whizzing all over the place, quite dangerous really.

Chigger

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
When knapping I always wear safety glasses, those flint shards are tiny and razor sharp.

Read somewhere prehistoric peoples used flint knives for at times quite delicate incisions in medical operations.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
yeah mate I always wear glasses when ever I do anything to with flint, even when I am doing flint and steel, too many times had little shards flake off at velocity.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
just got 4.5kg's of Aussie flint from rockyinstincts which puts me up over 10kg's on hand now and well in surplus (which I love), this lot had some really big pieces suitable for learning to knapp, which I may pursue in the near future.

Chigger

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Think the 3kg I have from Rockyinstincts will keep me going for a long time. Agree it's good to have a stock on hand rather than just a couple of bits of flint which eventually will get dulled and unknappable.

Then get in a panic when the normal supplier is out of stock.

Quartz can work ok but seems to dull quickly, nothing like a good sharp piece of quality flint.