Soup with Ash Cakes

BushChef

Karen Hood
Staff member
Reaction score
This is one of my favourite meals to cook in the bush at the moment. Cook your soup, then crumble up your ash cakes into it and you have a satisfying and nourishing meal, anywhere, any time. :_sii:

Soup

(Serves 2)

1 large carrot, diced or halved and sliced
2 medium dirty potatoes, peeled and diced
1 small brown onion, finely chopped
A few dried porcini mushrooms (optional)
A handful of peas and beans (I use the frozen mix)
Small packet of lean bacon (optional, but it will add loads of flavour. Another option is to add beef jerky instead)
1 small tin of creamed corn
A few pinches each of dried oregano, rosemary and thyme
Loads of cracked pepper
2 tsp of vegetable or chicken stock powder

Put everything (except the bacon and creamed corn) into a medium zip lock bag. Store it in your cooking pot along with your bacon and creamed corn, take it into the bush with you.

When the fire is nice and hot, tip everything into your cooking pot. Add the creamed corn and all of the bacon, torn into chunks. Add enough cold water to cover the ingredients by about a thumb's width, stir to combine, then pop on the lid and cook it suspended over the fire for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. You can take the lid off for the last ten minutes to help the soup reduce if you like a thicker soup.

While your soup is cooling, prepare the ash cakes.

Ash Cakes

(Makes four to five cakes)

1 cup plain flour
1 tablespoon of butter
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
Around 1/4 cup of water

Blitz together all your dry ingredients in a food processor, then put it in a medium zip lock bag. Take it into the bush with you.

When your soup is done, wait for the fire to burn down to ashes. You want them to be super hot, and you'll want to cook these on the white powdery ash, not the black coals that are still burning red.

Add water gradually to the zip lock and knead the bag from the outside (to avoid messy hands), until you get a good dough. It should all come together and pull away from the bag easily when it's ready.

Roll into four portions, then press each one flat in your palm. Spread out the ashes and put the ash cakes straight onto the white ash to cook. Turn them after a couple of minutes, or until the underside has started to turn golden brown. Cook on the opposite side for a couple more minutes. Remove from the ashes and blow off excess ash.

Serve these with your soup while they are still warm. We like breaking them into chunks and adding them to the soup, kind of like dumplings.

P1050851.jpg P1050853.jpg P1050857.jpg P1050858.jpg

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice!! That's some chunky man sized bacon..Yummee

Jeepcreep

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Im always keen on finding new camp chow recipes,but ingredients differ with culture.In this particular recipe,it speaks of adding bacon,but to me it appears to be what we call ham.Our bacon is taken from the pork belly,it is fatty,with strips of lean meat running through it,seasoned with spices,brined and often cold smoked.Ham on the other hand,is taken from the large portion of a pigs hindquarters .It to is often brined,and smoked,but has a different taste and is often cooked whole,and sliced or chunked.
This may be a dumb question,but is our bacon and the down under bacon different,or am I just not seeing the picture properly?
Here in the US,we use ham in recipes much like the recipe the one described here,while bacon ( thin sliced,fatty strips ) are a favorite breakfast meat,but as bacon goes.....everybody likes bacon......and ham!

BushChef

Karen Hood
Staff member
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question,but is our bacon and the down under bacon different,or am I just not seeing the picture properly?
Here in the US,we use ham in recipes much like the recipe the one described here,while bacon ( thin sliced,fatty strips ) are a favorite breakfast meat,but as bacon goes.....everybody likes bacon......and ham!
Hi Jeepcreep, that definitely is bacon, just a very lean cut with all the fat removed. We can purchase various cuts of bacon here, the kind you're referring to is what we call "streaky" bacon which are the thin strips which come with a lot of fat running through it. I don't have a vast knowledge of cuts so that's all I can tell you lol.. Here is a pic of the cut of bacon I used in this recipe which we call "short cut bacon."

Screen Shot 2015-01-25 at 6.36.15 AM.jpg

BSN

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Looks great, i keep viewing food threads tonight and its made me so flippen hungry lol. this looks like a winner. love a hot soup when camping.