Solo winter overnighter in the bush - WA

MJC88

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Got out for a quick overnighter on my folks property last night. Was more of a therepy session than anything, the bonus was being able to have a fire now it's winter n all.

After setting the shelter up I had to return to the house briefly, with the sun going down quick it was a fast paced dash back to camp to get the fire going before dark.
I had intended on having more daylight up my sleeve to collect firewood and experiment with some natural tinders, but that wasn't meant to be.
So it was a quick hunt around camp for any usable tinder and kindling to establish a fire. I used the old Vaseline coated cotton ball as the initial fuel followed by some nice dry and crispy banksia leaves then your standard twigs and sticks that are plentiful.

Once the fire was established enough to leave for a while I continued collecting some medium sized sticks from dead branches that were off the ground.
I later found a young fallen jarrah tree with a diameter of around 3" which my new bahco folding saw ate up, very happy with that new addition. These logs were put on later on in the evening as I was settling down for bed.

It was a still cold night with the nearest weather station reporting 6.5 degrees in the early hours of the morning. This pushed my 3 season bag + bivvy combo beyond its limit, was a tad chilli - I donned my beanie during the night and had to put my socks and jumper on early morning.
When the sun finally started to show itself I quickly slipped on my pants and boots followed by a brisk star jump session to get my body temp up.

Next was collecting some more firewood to get the fire going for a morning brew, I used the same method as the night before except used a lighter instead of ferro rod - a quicker and safer option for first thing in the morning.
I forgot to bring toothpaste so experimented by making a charcoal paste, I'm not sure how this DIY charcoal method compares to the "activated" stuff you buy, but my teeth certainly felt better after a quick brush?

This trip I also put in a more proactive effort in regards to "minimal impact" camping, especially with toilet and fire duties. Toilet paper was burnt and hole well covered, ash/coals from fire mixed in with dirt and then collected/distributed throughout the area.
Leaves that were moved around the perimeter of the fire were returned and I didn't move any leaves for my shelter area so that looked ok albeit a bit more compressed than usual.

It was great to get out and get my bush fix, thanks for reading :)

MJC

sami12

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Great post mate. Looks like it would have been a nice quiet night. Just chilly. A wool blanket could come in handy also. Thanks again for sharing

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Great to fit in a campout. We're definitely in Winter now !

I'm impressed by the charcoal toothpaste. I think most people wouldn't have tried that ! It is supposed to be quite good for your teeth

MJC88

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Cheers guys. Sami a wool blanket thrown over would have been a very welcomed addition indeed! I've used the "activated" charcoal in the past, gives your teeth a real nice clean feeling afterwards, looks like you've eaten a sack of squid ink initially though! Charcoal is also meant to be very good for digestive issues, can absorb all sorts of stuff. The property is between Prev and Gracetown Redtail, it's nice to have a place to get out to without going too far from home/family.

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
We were saying the very same thing on Mt Mambup this morning!
I wouldn't have picked it for that close to the coast. Must be the last vestige of jarrah and marri forest before the dunes start to appear west of there.

Quite by coincidence, I'm sitting on a Miamup (just up the road from there) cab sav as I await dinner and write this response. Cheers. :eek:

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Great post - thanks! It's fantastic to have a spot so near home, but I've also found the down-side is that you don't give yourself enough time before dark, because there's always something you try to fit in at home at the last minute.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Hey MJC88, A great write-up. Looks like a lot of us West Aussies took advantage of the long weekend. Good to see you getting out there.
A good indicator of your impact is to go back in a week's time and check the spot, if you can't tell where you've been, then you have done the trick.
Cheers
Bloffy

Foxtrot65

Les Stroud
Reaction score
great write up and pics, looks like you had a great set up and a beautiful setting, ive just returned from 4 nights down south, Yallingup, went down to Augusta and stopped off at Boranup forest which was amazing! We stayed near Prevally last time though

rec0nz

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Looks great, how do you go with solo trips? Do you find it gets pretty lonely? I did a solo trip and headed back in the night as I felt to isolated.

MJC88

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I don't mind going solo rec0nz, though realistically it's generally only for a night or two at a time due to other commitments. I'm sure longer term trips would be different. Generally I set out on a trip with particucular goal in mind or a list of tasks to complete. Practice navigation, tarp configs, establish fires using different methods, try out new kit etc. I find that time goes quite quickly when you also add in camp setup, firewood collection and cooking in etc. If anything I wouldn't mind the company when I'm sitting around the camp fire having a feed and a drink at night. But I usually just use this time to relax and reflect on things I'd learnt whilst watching the bush tv. Perhaps you could take a portable radio out with you for some background noise?

koalaboi

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I like a night or two in the bush on my own.

Time to connect.

KB

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I can't deal with being on my own. I like it quiet but I am usually at a loss as to what to do by myself, it may just be practice though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris8546

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Nice camp set up and good photos to back up the narrative. Did you see much wildlife after dark or did it all stay away?
I'm planning on doing something very similar in the next week or two. Just need to scope out the site I have in mind first - which I will do at some point this WA long weekend.
I will see if i can take some half decent photos when I do it for real.
Only downside is I will have to use a stove rather than have a rip roaring fire due to the time of year and the chance of the flames being spotted by someone who thinks that camping should be restricted to official camp sites, rather than the bush.

oncedisturbed

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Nice camp set up and good photos to back up the narrative. Did you see much wildlife after dark or did it all stay away?
I'm planning on doing something very similar in the next week or two. Just need to scope out the site I have in mind first - which I will do at some point this WA long weekend.
I will see if i can take some half decent photos when I do it for real.
Only downside is I will have to use a stove rather than have a rip roaring fire due to the time of year and the chance of the flames being spotted by someone who thinks that camping should be restricted to official camp sites, rather than the bush.
Where abouts are you looking at? North or south?
Depending on where / when you're going for your overnighter, I may be free if you fancy a tag along?

https://m.facebook.com/southernleathersolutions/

sinkhole

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Great post mate, takes me back..... way back. I'm a keen camper, and former bushwalker (Mainly around Alice and Katherine) who is about to start bushwalking again. Although I love camping with the family, I also love to get out on my own. It's really quite zen! Longest solo trip was five days four nights south along the Roper River into Mataranka. I'm thinking of an easy overnighter in the near future just to check my new setup, and test the old bones out a bit. Toying with Kitty Gorge walk in Serpentine Falls park.

Great photos too. That SW WA bush is brilliant, I love heading down that way when I can.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
G'day Sinkhole. Welcome to the forum. We are holding a meet on 12-14 May. See below. The weekends are usually laidback events where we get to catch up with old mates, make new friends, practice bushcraft, tell lots of bullshit stories and occasionally burn some damper (you'll need to come along to find out about that one. Lol
http://bushcraftoz.com/forums/showthread.php?9423-We-need-a-WA-meet

Hope to see you there (and any other Western Australians reading this).
Cheers
Bloffy