Socks recommendations

GStone

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Well I just bought my first pair of Injiji toe sox, as soon as my feet heal I will give them a go and post back on my experience.
As I get older my feet do seem to be getting less and less tough, my foot doctor told me to try the toe sox.
I'd post photos of my toe after the surgery but I don't want to put people off their dinners
Hope you have better luck than I did. I tried 2 pairs of those (after seeing lots of good recommendations), and had them both fall apart after two uses.

TRAUMA BOY

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Seal skinz, waterproof and some what breathable. Need to choose the environment. Saves having to wear full leather or purchase full goretex boots. I wear light breathable boots now with the seal skinz. Allows me to get my boots wet but feet dry.

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I have some Explorer socks to trial as I have only heard of this brand scince being in Oz. But I am a cheap arse and wore issue socks that the ambulance service give and on inspection they are Explorer.

So its explorer.

But never ever with sandles the wife would punch me in the face if I did that.
After 4 days in the jungle with the same pair of socks on and my feet wet for most of the time I had no blisters and the socks did fine even when putting on the wet ones again in the morning. Only problem was that the leeches were able to get through the weave and on to my leg for a feed. But saying that Ill give the leeches there due as they got in to the boot and past my combats then the sock.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Hope you have better luck than I did. I tried 2 pairs of those (after seeing lots of good recommendations), and had them both fall apart after two uses.
Well if they do i just return them under warranty, these are not supposed to be used as outer socks tho, just liners to stop blisters, so i will be using 3 socks notr my normal 2

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
There looks to be some good recommendations here, I'll have to give some a try. Last year I coughed up (very unlike me) for some Bridgedales. They really have been amazing for me. Just throw em in with the other laundry, no smell and THE most comfortible socks I've owned.

Walker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Yep, Explorer socks for me too. Always wear gaiters - they not only protect the shins from damage, but stop a lot of bush litter (including grit and grass seeds) from getting into the boots = less wear 'n tear abrasion on socks. Like I've mentioned on other threads, I wear a thick pair of socks close to the skin and a second thin pair of socks on the outer - less friction, so no blisters.

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Explorer socks for me. I do like skins as an undergarment as well. helps with muscle recovery (no good for a cold night..)

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
The explorers are always a good standard to start with I reckon.
All depends on what you want from your sox.
People are often looking for 'waterproof' socks.
There's two that I know of - 'Seal Skinz' & 'Dexshell'.
Haven't had any experience with the Dexshell sox but I wouldn't recommend the seal Skinz for extended walks as I reckon they get too hot.
They are great when working in cold/wet climes though, although they are expensive at around $60/pair.
The Dexshells come it at around $30-$40 I believe.
Might have to give a pair of em a try at some stage I think.
I have one pair of Bridgedales which I love but due to cost I just haven't yet bought any more.
For general use I reckon it's hard to go past the readilly available & pretty good quality explorers.

Bill.

Rivercamp

Russell Coight
Reaction score
If you come acrossa brand of sock called wigwam snatch them up. They are specifically made for hiking and they make a wool and silk blend sock that are the most comfortable thing I've ever worn. Even after days of hiking

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Where is everyone buying their Holeproof Explorer socks from?
I wore them for 30 years when I was a chippy, day in and day out. I used to walk into K-Mart, grab however many pairs I needed and go and pay for them. Too easy! But now I discover, they're as scarce as hens' teeth.
I've seen a few in shops but they've been the short ones and I want long. I also want them in brown but it seems that Holeproof no longer make them in brown. I'd better stop now because I feel a rant about Australian clothing manufacturers, or should I say importers, coming on.

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
They're not what they used to be Biggles. The labels nowadays often don't tell you the percentage of whats in them or what's in them at all.
Other times they are are more descriptive. Some use cotton. I picked up some at the reject shop a couple of weeks back; feel a little nylon-y but I am happy with them.
They are olive in colour and not the long ones that you like; medium length.

Big W has what you are after last time I looked. I like the ones with copper added to impede bacteria.

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Thanks GB, I'll check out Big W the next time I'm near a store. I've been looking online and it seems that nobody is making a brown sock anymore. :( Coyote brown, which is more of a tan is about the closest I can get. What have they all got against brown?
My new problem is that there are now so many different types of socks to choose from. Take those Wigwam socks for example. Hoo boy, I never knew there could be so many different combinations of materials and styles.
I just want nice, thick, long and brown mostly woolen socks. I'm getting (gotten??) too old for this c*%p. I'm feeling GOMS (Grumpy Old Man Syndrome) coming on. :p

Ben Dono

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Hahaha! I like it mate! GOMS...I'm going to use that one if you don't mind!

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I had been running a silk liner and wool outer.. The last couple of day hikes have seen me just run whatever i put my hands on at the time thinking id see what sort of difference there was...

Comfort was the major change with the two sox option working a treat.

Bushdoc

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Ex-explorer fan here.
When I saw they were being made in panda-land, I stocked up on the Oz-made ones, and have NOT bougth them since.

Now: Aussie made wool socks.
I have tested these out in -40C (yes, minus 40, but not overnight) and they are good.

Randall

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
If you come acrossa brand of sock called wigwam snatch them up. They are specifically made for hiking and they make a wool and silk blend sock that are the most comfortable thing I've ever worn. Even after days of hiking
I have a balaclava / beanie that is wigwam brand. It's the sort of thing I take up high through winter. I consider it survival gear, along with polypropylene base layers. Even while it's raining they're still drying and warm. It's a US brand; I would have got mine on sale though.