Socks recommendations

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
Just wondering what socks do members prefer when walking.

Is there a difference in preference for wet weather, different seasons, etc.

Cheers.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Dusty, I started out with the standard Wooly Explorer socks, then moved to the thinner bridgedale socks. Now I'm onto these ankle high socks. They are very thin, almost see through except for the heel and the ball of the feet and toes. Sounds odd but they're very comfy and so light that they dry as I walk.
When in Canada, I used wool socks under goretex socks in leather boots, which worked well for those conditions.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a Explorer socks wearer. They work for me, summer, winter and snow.

In our family we believe that the red ones are the warmest, so they generally go on the ski trips.

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I wear cotton toe socks with individual toes separated from the other.
Somehow this keep my feet dry and I have not catch tinea or bad smell since I wear these.

In winter I use the same sock but with a thin layer of woolen sock over them if its really cold..

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Hey Dusty,

I really really like "Goodhew Hiking Socks - Merino Wool, Medium Cushion". I get mine from the Sierra Trading Post. I wear them to work every day and have hiked extensively in them in everything from rainforest to scrub, pouring rain to bone dry. Before buying them I never would have considered wool socks for our climate here in Queensland, but boy was that a mistake.

I've had half a dozen pairs for a year and the only damage that was done to one sock was when my dog's tooth got caught on them when we were messing around. No holes, no noticeable wear. The only thing you have to remember is to turn them inside out when you wash them.

Before these, i'd tried everything from workwear shops and supermarkets. I didn't mind the bonds cushion pillow feet type socks for work, but the elastic ALWAYS went on them after a couple of months and they developed holes easily too.

I know it sounds like im going to offer you some steak knives as well but it's just how i've experienced them.

They break down fibre-wise as follows: Fabric: 68% merino wool, 30% nylon, 2% spandex

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
Now I'm onto these ankle high socks. They are very thin, almost see through except for the heel and the ball of the feet and toes.
I wear cotton toe socks with individual toes separated from the other.
I guess you have to fit the shoe differently with the very thin socks. What brands are they? Have to try them. I keep trying to buy all socks identical, but after six yeras of effort, there still seem to be mismatched pairs in the drawer. I want to settle on a brand and make, then have a cull of all others, so getting shoes on in the dark isn't an issue anymore.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess you have to fit the shoe differently with the very thin socks. What brands are they? Have to try them. I keep trying to buy all socks identical, but after six yeras of effort, there still seem to be mismatched pairs in the drawer. I want to settle on a brand and make, then have a cull of all others, so getting shoes on in the dark isn't an issue anymore.
Hi Dusty, these are the ones:
http://www.thorlo.com/performance-socks.php

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I have some Explorer socks to trial as I have only heard of this brand scince being in Oz. But I am a cheap arse and wore issue socks that the ambulance service give and on inspection they are Explorer.

So its explorer.

But never ever with sandles the wife would punch me in the face if I did that.

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the advice, I'll buy some of each and have a bit of an experiment.
I do a lot of walking in wet grass in the early a.m., and often end up pretty damp.

Cheers again,

DM

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
It might pay to look into some gaiters then... keeps your trousers and socks dry from the knees down, most of your boots too...

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
If you're going to get explorers you might like to look for the antibacterial version with copper in them, if they still make them. Also read the labels carefully because they can look the same but be 80% wool or only 50% wool or just cotton withe the nylon that they all have for better wear.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
GB, that's agood point, there are a few different versions about. I like the wool ones rather than cotton and I've never tried the copper.

There also make a two sizes: standard (up to size 10) and large (11+). If you're on the margins size wize, it can be tricky to know if you should go up or down a size !

GStone

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Since the thread has been necro'd anyway.. :p "Smartwool Trekking Heavy Crew Sock", bought 2 pair years and years ago.. Still in the same condition they were when I bought them, and the most comfortable socks I've ever used.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Well I just bought my first pair of Injiji toe sox, as soon as my feet heal I will give them a go and post back on my experience.
As I get older my feet do seem to be getting less and less tough, my foot doctor told me to try the toe sox.
I'd post photos of my toe after the surgery but I don't want to put people off their dinners