BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snow Tracks

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Snow is a great medium for showing animal tracks, so if you’re lucky enough to live where there is snow, you have an excellent opportunity to do some tracking.

In this area it had snowed the previous evening, so I know that all these tracks have been made within the last 12 hours.

Because the snow was a bit soft and wet, some finer details have been lost, but the overall patterns make it fairly easy to see what’s going on.

Rabbit tracks. If you follow rabbit tracks, you may see dark yellow stains in the snow, sometimes accompanied by small, “pellets”.
This is rabbit wee and scat. You rarely see rabbit wee on normal ground:
P1300148 (Small).JPG

Spotting a rabbit burrow is quite easy, often there are many trails leading in and out. Sometimes the entry snow becomes quite muddy making it stand out like a “sore thumb”
P1300137 (Small).jpg

A fox or small dog tracks (and a single skiier)
P1300149 (Small).JPG

These tracks had me a bit baffled. I think they belong to a possum, possibly a glider, who has bounded across the track leaving pairs of foot prints and showing distinct “drag” marks in the snow.
(Sorry, the pictures aren’t too crisp)

P1300160 (Small).JPG P1300161 (Small).JPG

Last edited:

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
I like the rabbit burrow particularly.

I tried playing with contrast and a few curves, can help with bringing up details in low contrast photos...

P1300160%20(Small).jpg

The grid effect is jpeg compression artefact, but you can see a bit more of the tracks and throw

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
DM - that's great, much clearer !

Any ideas on what type of critter ? From my books the only things like it were possums, although in your enhanced pic it almost looks like a macropod, but in reality it was more distinct small "feet" making the tracks.
As I said, there seemed to be a lot of "drag" marks in the snow perhaps indicating fur ?

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score

I think the tracks are not quite right for a bandicoot, they were definite "pairs" of tracks with the left and right foot adjacent. From what I can see bandicoots tracks has a different "layout" (not sure the correct words), but certainly a critter about that size.

Having said that I did read this :
"... When foraging, they move in a ‘bunny hop’ ..." - could be describing an atypical gait ?
http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/__data/as...20/Southern_Brown_Bandicoot_Fact_Sheet_V7.pdf

... and another nice set of track info:
http://www.stephenlee.com.au/work/mammalfeet/index.html