Snow Moot - Looking for interest

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
Just starting to think forward to next year, I am wondering if anyone would be interested in a get together in the Snow some time around June/July/August. The plan would be to find some place to have a sleep out and then do some snow shoeing or skiing away from the resorts.

Anyone interested?

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Hey Mongoose. Maybe when they hold their moot, we can do the same and go to Bluff Knoll. At least there should be some water up there then.
Cheers
Bloffy

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
How about this for an Idea then we pencil in the 29th-31st of July. It will be around the Cabramurra/Selwyn area.

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
This is the hut I am thinking off,

http://www.khuts.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=326:four-mile-hut&catid=83:kosciuszko-national-park-huts&Itemid=188

This is the map
image.jpg

starting from the gate at Selwin over Mt Selwin then South to the hut on day one. Then day two would be heading north along the Australian Alps Track to the locked gate near Kiandra then do the car shuffle. or day two could be North along the Alps Trail until the intersection with the power poles and down to the camp site which would be good on skis I recon.

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
When I first started this thread I ordered a Lavvu. Anyhow it turned up today, it is a pretty cool bit of kit. I think this (also used as a back pack) combined with my Army Trangia I may make a snow kit for the giggles.

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I love my lavvu. Bit on the heavy side for one person but it is a bombproof shelter and very versatile. I often set it up in the backyard so the kids can play Cowboys and Indians.

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
It seems preaty cool so far. I have not had a chance to set it up however I am off on a Scout Camp planing weekend in Nowra this weekend so I am going to give it a go then.

I know it is a little heavy but I do not have the cash for a lite wait tent for the snow at the moment so I will just grin and bear it.

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
One big advantage that I think the canvas Lavvu has over a modern light weight tent is durability. I have a small tent I used to use a lot but they are quite fragile. I think the Lavvu with the front slightly opened and a nice fire near the entrance would be quite warm in cold conditions. I have often thought about being a scout leader maybe one day I will make it happen, good luck on the camp.

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
I have often thought about being a scout leader maybe one day I will make it happen, good luck on the camp.
Thanks,

As too being a leader give it ago, the trick is to find a group of Adults that you can work with and share the same aims as you. Then step over the shit and not in it plus remember why you are doing it.