BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

Snake bones..ID help needed.!!

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Happened by these strange bones on a local bush walk just off a small track.My best guess is remains of a snake but I not 100% sure guys.So three larger "head" bones then dozens and dozen of smaller backbone.Used my spork for scale and all pics where taken with a iphone..

IMG_5201.jpg

IMG_5202.jpg

IMG_5200.jpg

IMG_5207-1.jpg

So what you think guys fish maybe or a snake.:confused:

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Hmmm... a side, top and bottom view of the skull would help some with this... I do notice what appear to be grinding plates in roof of the mouth though...

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Looks like puffer fish bones Alan, was it near the salt water? Most of the spikey bits are from the prickly skin and not vertebrae.
Wouldnt want to stand on them with bare feet!!!!

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like puffer fish bones Alan, was it near the salt water? Most of the spikey bits are from the prickly skin and not vertebrae.
Wouldnt want to stand on them with bare feet!!!!

Was about about 5km from the sea Hairyman.Track was just about 1km off a main road so this could of been dumped by someone perhaps.Yes I think the smaller bones are some kind of spikes not vertebrae.

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
The grinding plates bone does look like fish but why in that location. Is there nothing folks wont dump.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
It may have been left by a bird of prey like a sea eagle or Osprey. Was it under a tree with overhanging branches?

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Eastern Brown Skeletal remains
View attachment 8955
I have more pics but yet to discover were I filed them including skull

Last edited: