Les Stroud
Reaction score
A few mates and I thought we would give snail curry a try. :vomito:

[video=youtube;vGqeHLK26_Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGqeHLK26_Q[/video]

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I go butter,garlic and thyme myself.More common food in Spain and France that India..

Brit bushcrafter

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Good on you for giving it a try ! Did you purge the snails first ?
I purged them for five days mate. I boiled them for three minutes to kill them. I then picked them from their shells and washed them in vinegar. Next I simmered them for two hours in herbs and stock before adding them to the recipe. They really weren't that bad. I just added those subtitles for a laugh.:D

Brit bushcrafter

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I go butter,garlic and thyme myself.More common food in Spain and France that India..
That's next on my list. I put about sixty snails in two plastic tubs with some soil and a piece of turf. I now have about five hundred snail eggs. :_o:

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
sorry but i cringed every time one of you guys took a bite full :_s:

...still good on ya for giving them a go.

5 stars *****

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I purged them for five days mate. I boiled them for three minutes to kill them. I then picked them from their shells and washed them in vinegar. Next I simmered them for two hours in herbs and stock before adding them to the recipe. They really weren't that bad. I just added those subtitles for a laugh.:D
Coincidentally I was watching a vid last night and the presenter found some snails.

She suggested purging them on carrot – when the poo turns orange you know they are clean !
She also stressed the fact that snails commonly contain parasites, and recommended boiling twice (discarding the water each time), then frying them up.

I don't have any particular intentions of following in your footsteps, but I'm curious to hear anyone else's experiences ?

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
Mad. Even the the words "snail madras" sound stomach turning. Ha ha but well done for being inventive.

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Never knew they would take that kind of prep... Kinda thinking I'd be half keen for a taste.

Brit bushcrafter

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Never knew they would take that kind of prep... Kinda thinking I'd be half keen for a taste.
A handful of people in Australia and Britain are now getting into snail farming. All women I might add. I have been reading up a lot about
Heliciculture on the net and the few farmers can't seem to keep up with the demand. Peoples tastes are now starting to change with immigration and I really do think now is the time to get into snail farming if you have land.

Brit bushcrafter

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Coincidentally I was watching a vid last night and the presenter found some snails.

She suggested purging them on carrot – when the poo turns orange you know they are clean !
She also stressed the fact that snails commonly contain parasites, and recommended boiling twice (discarding the water each time), then frying them up.

I don't have any particular intentions of following in your footsteps, but I'm curious to hear anyone else's experiences ?
I have heard if a dog eats live snails it can get lung worm. I don't think people would have any problems though with all that cooking. I'm going to give it another go this weekend with garlic butter and parsley.

Brit bushcrafter

Les Stroud
Reaction score
:_lol:

She said the snails are delicious but gags when the garlic butter drips out.:_lol:

[video=youtube;mBhnGgyhEcc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBhnGgyhEcc[/video]

Brit bushcrafter

Les Stroud
Reaction score
sorry but i cringed every time one of you guys took a bite full :_s:

...still good on ya for giving them a go.

5 stars *****
I was expecting one or two of the guys to gag but I think they were putting on a brave face for the video.:risatonaD:

Brit bushcrafter

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Here's a short vid I came across a few days back. I predict there's going to be good money made by people now getting into snail farming . Snail caviar 90 quid for a small tin.:_o:

[video=youtube;VjIYbZ65LmY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjIYbZ65LmY[/video]

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I think I have 90 quid of snails living in my letter box, and here I was flicking them out on the road :_s:

All VERY Interesting

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Mad. Even the the words "snail madras" sound stomach turning. Ha ha but well done for being inventive.
Not really any different to sea molluscs .... How about a pipi pasta or clam curry ?

(PS : I don't eat seafood - I'm just playing devil's advocate :_(D): )