BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMKE Wariy Front Flipper knife at the rope . ( Review )

old4570

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score

A) SMKE Wariy front flipper knife ( 14c28n ) from AliExpress
B) I have been fidgeting this knife since the day I got it
C) I don't like it .... It's in my opinion a one trick pony !

So many things not to like about Front Flippers ( this one ) . It needs to be held just so , to flip properly . Hold it wrong or not tight enough and you may cut yourself ( I paid the blood price ) . The front flipper has nothing to offer over the regular flipper . In fact the regular flipper is vastly superior in every way . My opinion after fidgeting the knife for a week or more .
And how did it go on the rope ? We are talking dumpster level performance here ( as in throw it in a dumpster ) . The knife failed at 50 slices of rope , making the performance this time around pretty much bottom of the barrel .

IMGP1336.JPG
IMGP1338.JPG
Wariy Fron Flipper.jpg

Aaaaargh? Yeah !!!!!
The liner lock is cutting a grove into the blade steel on account how hard the blade steel is ?

Anyways ! I have ordered those removable thumb studs .. And I will put one on this knife , maybe ? Just depends on how rubbish the next rope slicing session is ( wet stone grinder edge ) .

Front flipper knife = Not Loving It ! ( not at all ) ....

Sorry , there is so much to complain about .. And I have only scratched the surface .. I would issue a Warning about this knife ( as in best avoided ) ..

Last edited:

old4570

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score

Wow , 14c28n ?
Fail was @ 150 slices .. Stropped back strong !

Now let me count the other Fails !

1) Grip was a square slab , and the edges were painfully sharp ( Beveled all the edges )
2) Because the grip was left un beveled , the grip was blocking the flipper tab
3) The grips are poorly designed and block the front flipping tab
4) Lock / blade poorly set up / aligned .. Tighten a little too much and the blade does not lock open ( will need work )
5) Knife can roll in the hand when flipping the blade , this can result in injury .. You need Gorilla Grip 2000 when flipping
6) You need to concentrate when flipping , it's like doing a math problem . Very easy to get it wrong .
7) I have have been flipping for a week or more , and it just stresses me out now . It's not intuitive / fun / or easy .

This knife offers nothing that would make me want to recommend it to anyone !

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Front flipper knife = Not Loving It ! ( not at all ) ....
yeah, if you want an easy reliable knife, the standard flipper (or folder / thumbstud) just works. I like front flippers - I think it is because of the skill involved, like using chop sticks.

Perhaps it's just a bit of human nature. I know many things like this. People who shoot become proficient with modern rifle and scope - then start hunting with muzzle loaders, from compound bow to recurve, whitewater kayak to whitewater canoe (that's a huge skill, strength and balance requirement), mtb with a huge amount of gears to a single speed hard tail. Most knife dudes on youtube are amazingly proficient at different opening styles - middle finger flick for example. And many of them talk about the fidget factor. I do like the lines of my exarch though - only possible because it's a front flipper :)

Just looking now at the exarch below I've realised another quite significant benefit of the back flipper - safety; when it is open the finger tab serves as a guard that should stop your hand slipping onto the blade in adverse conditions (wet or bloody)!

civivi exarch.jpg

Last edited:

old4570

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
They got those new hidden flippers ...
When you flip and the blade opens and locks .. The flipper folds out of the way .. ( Cant be seen )
The flipper is separate from the blade ( it's own mechanism )

Also = Cross Bar Lock ... ( Axis Lock )

And maybe not all front flippers are the same ... ( Some being better than others )

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
And maybe not all front flippers are the same ... ( Some being better than others )
definitely. My first front flipper was the worst one for a beginner. I left it on my desk for months, just practising every now and then - now it's easy.
twosun front.jpg

The civivi exarch, real steel metamorph, and civivi McKenna are easy and satisfying.

My most challenging knife right now is a folder (thumstud), the cjrb ria - the indent on that is stiff and the opening of it is geared high (short movement of the thumb to open it as opposed to a long movement).

cjrb ria.jpg

Just looking again at the knife you tested - such a pity; it is nice looking and simple. All that time and energy designing and manufacturing and they let it down on the heat treat - or maybe they lied about the steel?

Last edited:

old4570

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Hmmm , when the liner lock is cutting thru the blade steel ... It's not a good sign !