Small light weight folding knives

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I was after small knives to wear in the front of my shorts while riding etc. These looked great, buy but no clip. Not having a clip makes it a great kit knife. Great small knife by the looks, and cold steel build quality.

Last edited:

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
This is an update on the steel will mini intrigue. It wasn't centered! I wasn't too concerned thinking I'll play with the pivot - I have now, and nothing will make it center. I dismantled it just in case - something I don't usually do. Often knives have super strength loc tite, and indeed this one did. The bronze washers were quite burred. I cleaned everything, ran the washers over a smooth stone, reassembled with correct loctite, still no good.

I contacted knifeco stating that I'd like to return it for a refund or exchange. They have answered asking me what color I'd like! No complaints there. I hope this quality control issue is a one off. It's my first and only steel will and has put me off a bit.

Also both of the Artisan cutlery knives I bought had very bad lock stick. I've never experienced this before. I dismantled one and adjusted the liner lock - it was very strong; that mostly solved it for that knife. The other knife has a liner lock that feels fine, other than lock stick. I work around it by consciously pushing as close to the end of the liner lock as I can, and it's workable. So, I can't recommend artisan cutlery knives either. Will update on the next steel will.

Also ordered a civivi McKenna :D Mr Shabazz gives these knives a glowing review. True Talon had these at a great price - $100 delivered. I have been watching them for a while - their stock goes quick. They had some come in again, I ordered straight away. Now they're out of stock again.

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I have to recommend knifeco.com.au. I asked them if they send another mini intrigue could they check it out first. They sent me a photo, and acknowledged that the one they had was a bit off center. At this point it's looking like a design fault to me and I didn't want an exchange. Then I saw that they have the steel will mini modus - this is a fairly new knife and I liked the look of it the first time I saw it. It is also fairly small and light.

They came back to me saying that they'll send it tonight, along with a return label for the faulty one!

Update. The knife arrived this morning. It's perfect, so it seems to just be a mini intrigue issue. Postage paid, and with a return postage paid bag with packaging. A business doesn't get better than that.

Last edited:

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Steel will modus mini. I've been carrying and using this for a couple of days now. It's my new favorite knife. It isn't drop shutty like all the youtubers like, it uses bronze washers. Personally I prefer washers and I'm not really fazed if the blade doesn't drop shut. It's 2nd nature for me to walk them shut with my index finger. Nice strong blade design, D2 steel, good clip, good pass through for the liner lock, great lanyard hole. Any knife that isn't a 4 finger hold for me, I generally put a simple small loop lanyard made of paracord. That way it's a good 4 finger grip, and if I like I can also slip my little finger into the loop; I usually have the knot so that it is a snug fit. This is just a good, cheap usable knife. It isn't sharp enough for me, and like most new knives I'm guessing the edge bevels will be dodgy. I have a few other knives to finish on the lansky before attacking this. I grabbed the photos from knifeco.com.au - I recommend this business. Good pricing and if something goes wrong they look after you - I've had experience with them.

art #F25M-14
Weight2.86 oz (81 g)
Thickness0.12″ (3.0 mm)
Blade Length2.75″ (70 mm)
Blade FinishSatin
StyleSheepsfoot
GrindFlat
HandleFRN
ClipAmbidextrous; Tip Up
Steel/MaterialD2
Overall6.69″ (170 mm)

Last edited:

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Just received a civivi mckenna from True talon. True talon are another good australain online business with very good prices.

This knife is beautifully made. It is small, but still fits 3.5 fingers on the handle (I have size large hands, but not sausage fingers). The liner lock is flawless and easy to get to. It has a deep carry pocket clip, a thin slicy flat ground blade. It is a front flipper, but it is so easy, and it snaps open every time. No place for a lanyard - this is on the border line for me as far as needing a lanyard. I think I would classify this knife as gentleman's carry. It is a beautifully made, light weight small knife that operates very well, however it isn't up to the sort of duty that the knife just above is capable of. In reality it will do everything I ask of it. I tend to use knives lightly as cutting tools - cutting all sorts of tape to size, opening packages, cutting zip ties, inner tube rubber, fruit and vegetables, shaving around an injury prior to applying a covering, light gardening esp cutting the grass from around the base of tiny young trees. I cut things that generally won't damage the blade. I have written about this knife earlier in this topic; so this is a hands on update. Here's the link to Nick Shabazz's review of this knife. Really this knife is the ideal of this topic. There are 3 colors, I bought black because that's all they had left (they disappear quickly).

Knife Name: Mckenna
Item #:C905

Blade Length:2.92”(74.1mm)
Blade Thickness: 0.1”(2.6mm)
Blade Material: Chinese D2
Blade Hardness: HRC59-61
Blade Grind: Flat

Handle Length:3.83”(97.3mm)
Handle Overall Thickness:0.39”(10mm)
Handle Material: G10
Liner Material: Stainless Steel

Clip Material: Stainless Steel
Screws Material: Stainless Steel
Pivot Cap: Stainless Steel
Back Spacer Material:G10
Washers Material: Stainless Steel Ball Bearing

Weight: 50 g / 1.76 oz
Lock Type: Liner Lock
Designed By Elijah Isham

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I can second True Talon, he is a very solid seller and I buy a lot of knives from him. He is also the supplier that lets me do a lot of my overviews, lending me knives for reviews.

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I can second True Talon, he is a very solid seller and I buy a lot of knives from him. He is also the supplier that lets me do a lot of my overviews, lending me knives for reviews.
I found true talon via you :D. Oops; just bought a civivi durus from them. They have a sale on.

Last edited: