BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

Sitivien ST-102 D2 ( YouTube Legendary Knife )

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score

Well ?
What can I say about Utube ?
Anyways , I got really excited because of all the RAVE Utube reviews ! ( Isn't that a warning sign )
Yes , the question begs , can you trust Utube ? ( Reviews )

Anyways , the Sitivien ST-102 was on my interest list , not just because of the RAVE reviews . Butt ( and it's a huge butt ) because it looked interesting . And as long as the blade steel is not rubbish = Hold the phone !!!! Did any online ( Utube ) reviewers do edge retention testing ? Oh well , the ST-102 got rave reviews !

So I did slice rope with the factory edge ...........
And to be 100% fair , I could have been a meanie and called FAIL @ 50 slices .. ( Yeah - rave reviews ) ...
But I put in another 25 slices and we can call it done and dusted @ 75 slices ...
This is really bad performance ......... For any steel , let alone D2 ( Alleged D2 ) Dont forget to check all those rave reviews !
If it had failed at 150 to 250 , then ok . We could call it a bad factory grind ... ( Maybe )
Right now , I am about to re grind the bevel ! & give the ST-102 a 2nd chance to impress or not fail so horribly !
Again , don't forget to check out those rave reviews on Utube ...

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score

Sitivien ST-102 D2​

Reground ..
Took an average amount of time to regrind to around 18 degrees .
The factory edge was FUBAR .. So nothing to brag about there !
The regrind came out fantastic ..
Re assembling the knife the edge touched my thumb and bleed me ! Just a touch and I was bleeding !
That's sharp ! So the regrind is some what impressive ( I think I did a decent job ) .
So , hopefully soon there will be a 2nd time at the rope .
Had yard work today , so now my body is FUBAR !
So ASAP the ST-102 will hit the rope again . ( Just not today )

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score

Wow , ok !
Would I crow about this knife = No I would not . It is not a super wonder knife !
It is how ever a decent knife for the money paid .
Having said that , after giving the blade a full regrind .
The locking did soften with fidgeting and as such would gravity open ! ( I am not a fan of soft locks )
I did bend the liner ( lock ) so as to increase tension .. And it still gravity opens , but not as easily .
So speaking for the knife I got ,
A) The factory EDGE was FUBAR and horrible at the same time , 75 slice fail ? That's really bad .
C) The soft lock , gravity opens ... ( not my cup of tea )
D) Value for money index is right at 10 cents a slice .. $40 ozzi bananas and 400 slices = 10c @ slice ...
So for every slice the knife is capable off , one paid 10c for it . That's decent value for money .

So , obviously the factory edge performance was a bit of a shock to the system ( was so bad ) . But having given the knife a 18 degree regrind on the wet stone grinder , performance has increased slightly to a 400 fail . That is a tiny increase of 325 slices . ( cough - cough ) I mean , i'm very much a average joe six pack when it comes down to doing a knife edge . So I would certainly expect a better effort from a knife manufacturer .
So , is the ST-102 good or not ... It's good , the blade steel falls into the D2 performance ball park , the price is very reasonable . ( Good value index )
So a few things disappointed ( negatives for me ) , but that's opinion for you . Other people might not give a * about factory edges or soft locks . So opinion aside , the knife performs in the D2 ballpark . ( After a regrind ) .
So there you have it , after a massive let down ( performance ) the ST-102 makes a strong come back .

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like the cop's are after you. Lot's of YouTube reviews are useless..

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Sounds like the cop's are after you. Lot's of YouTube reviews are useless..
??? Gravity opening I will presume ...
No longer an issue , not a pinch .. There are rules in place now to stop customs from using the gravity opening EXCUSE to knock back an imported knife .
+ Modern knives open much faster the normal way .
I mean , this country had some pretty stupid rules regarding knives .. ( Quite a few have been revoked now )
But one still needs to be carful . Lots of stuff out there you can buy , but legally can't own .
So buyer Beware !