Show us your Fire Kit

Slysilncr

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I look at my kit and feel it needs to be upgraded majorly after looking at these kits.
In my kit i carry a magnesium bar, Small ferro rod, small Swiss army knife, small lens, a bic lighter (which i test before every outing), waterproof matches, a small tealight candle, wetfire (basically jiffy fire lighters), aluminium foil, char cloth and i also carry a small container of pj cottonballs i just need to add a sharpener and this kit has done wonders for me so far, 95% of fires have succeeded with this kit as it is. not as comprehensive as some but it works.i also forgot i carry jute twine but i wear that on my wrist.
20120905_191757.jpg20120905_191422.jpg

Timbo

Russell Coight
Reaction score
This is my 'mini' kit. the usual: ferro rod in fatwood handle, extra fatwood, bic, matches hexi fuel tab, straw bellow, candles, charcloth, jute twine and a #2 opinel (did have the sharpener). I made a cotton wool wax dip match that is a sure thing in wet conditions.
1589458426229.png

Attachments

Timbo

Russell Coight
Reaction score
and the big one. burns kit was added and a copper bellow. two things I don't know how I lived without before. played around with fatwood shaving mixed with candle wax. The outerbark from a tree root (unknown species) takes the spark every time.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Very well thought out. Have you considered a magnifying glass or fresnel card lens?

Timbo

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Very well thought out. Have you considered a magnifying glass or fresnel card lens?
Just looked at fresnel lenses for sale, they are a whole lot cheaper than I thought. Will definitely add it to the kit, thanks. I keep the magnifying glass in my FAK but it's only good for use in the middle of the day in a WA summer. Would actually like to get a steel to try with some Kalbarri chert I have.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
as far as steels go, this is probably the cheapest quality Aussie production steel striker available I can find at the moment
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Flint-striker-for-historical-reenactment-fire-camping-cooking/142272978658?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I have one and they throw good sparks. If you don't want to buy one and have an old file (it has to be a high carbon file, so usually the older the file the better) just put it in a vice and carefully snap it off and there you have it, a nice little striker.

Timbo

Russell Coight
Reaction score
as far as steels go, this is probably the cheapest quality Aussie production steel striker available I can find at the moment
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Flint-striker-for-historical-reenactment-fire-camping-cooking/142272978658?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I have one and they throw good sparks. If you don't want to buy one and have an old file (it has to be a high carbon file, so usually the older the file the better) just put it in a vice and carefully snap it off and there you have it, a nice little striker.
Thanks Wave Man, think I'll buy it.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
those are great "C" type strikers, well the one I bought was. Files are great if you can fine ones you aren't attached to.

Markets are a good source of files, often you can find old files for like $2 there, just take a piece of flint to verify that they will throw sparks, just ask the vendor if you can strike it.

Timbo

Russell Coight
Reaction score
those are great "C" type strikers, well the one I bought was. Files are great if you can fine ones you aren't attached to.

Markets are a good source of files, often you can find old files for like $2 there, just take a piece of flint to verify that they will throw sparks, just ask the vendor if you can strike it.

27277thanks waveman, got the steel and works like a charm. Couldn't get a spark with some Kalbarri chert but the quartz was a success (pic).

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score