Short hike in the Cathedral Ranges, Victoria

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Each Christmas-New Year period, my geocaching partner and I head out into country Victoria to chase geocaches that are normally too far from home to get to on a Friday night. :_risata: This year we headed to the southern end of Cathedral Range, Victoria. Both of us have independently driven past on the Maroondah Highway, dozens if not hundreds of times but the ranges were always, 'just over there'. Neither of us had ever detoured to take a look. Last Thursday would be the day we'd change that.
The sky was overcast and it was a little cool at the base of the mountain but we soon warmed up. We took the easier and safer Canyon Track rather than the Wells Cave Track. Parks Victoria have classed both tracks as "hard". Parks Victoria is correct! I haven't done any rock scrambling for at least twenty-five years and given my current injury and lack of fitness, I knew I was going to hurt afterwards but what the heck, right? As it turned out, the only muscles that were sore were my quads and were they ever sore. It has taken until today for me to get them loosened enough for me to be able to walk around reasonably freely. :rolleyes:
We thought we'd have the mountain to ourselves and we did until around lunchtime. Five or six young blokes who looked like they were going to run the length of the razor back went past us as we started to make our way back. Then we met a young bloke and his girlfriend who were resting having scaled the highest part carrying what looked to be 70l packs. I couldn't have done that so I take my hat off to them both. Then we encountered a group of around eighteen young people, late teens or very early twenties who were dressed more for the beach than the bush but it was good to see them getting out and about.
I hope the following photos prove to be of interest.
If anyone knows the details of the young lad who apparently was killed up there, his death being commemorated on the plaque that I photographed, I would like to hear from them. Googling the details has produced nothing of any value. :(

Here is a link to the photos I took. I hope this works. http://s12.photobucket.com/user/biggles1024/Cathedral%20Range/story

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Brilliant mate. Some serious terrain & great views. How'd that young fella die?

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Last edited:

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Brilliant mate. Some serious terrain & great views. How'd that young fella die?
My attempts at learning how he died proved futile. I surmised that he had fallen but fortunately, mongoosedownunder has found some information for us. I know I certainly didn't expect to find a plaque in that location. It could be very easily overlooked.

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
A great spot for a hike.

Did you have the cicadas singing ?
No cicadas, in fact it was almost deathly quiet. The only wildlife we saw were several small lizards. Didn't even hear a Kookaburra. :(

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
An excerpt from a paper from Latrobe University:

"In the Cathedrals (1983) incident, the victim fell mid afternoon and died around 12 hours
later. Local police were alerted around 4.30, with two hours of daylight remaining. Local
rescuers decided to attempt to bring the injured boy out themselves, rather than contact the
Police Search and Rescue Squad or request a helicopter."

http://www.latrobe.edu.au/education/downloads/brookes_a_OE-Fatalities2.pdf#page=17&zoom=auto,-107,274
That's a great find, MDU. I've now edited my online log on geocaching.com to include an excerpt from that document. Thanks very much for solving the riddle.

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
Great photos, Biggles... brings back memories.
I hiked the length of that as [about] a 13 year old with a frame-less, not waterproof, classic three pocket canvass rucksack...
.... that my "helpful" Mum had sneakily loaded in extras such as a heavy parker and a loaf of bread, thwarting my considered weight saving choices.

... still, it was one of the greatest experiences of my life. :)

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Mate, that is insane country to just go geocaching in. Hope it was worth your while. Fantastic stuff. Great pix.
Cheers
Bloffy
There was one particular cache that we both had earmarked for at least two years, probably longer. Its Difficulty/Terrain rating is what made it attractive. :)

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Great photos and description - thanks! Wish this was a bit nearer to me!

Colin

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Each Christmas-New Year period, my geocaching partner and I head out into country Victoria to chase geocaches that are normally too far from home to get to on a Friday night. :_risata: This year we headed to the southern end of Cathedral Range, Victoria. Both of us have independently driven past on the Maroondah Highway, dozens if not hundreds of times but the ranges were always, 'just over there'. Neither of us had ever detoured to take a look. Last Thursday would be the day we'd change that.
The sky was overcast and it was a little cool at the base of the mountain but we soon warmed up. We took the easier and safer Canyon Track rather than the Wells Cave Track. Parks Victoria have classed both tracks as "hard". Parks Victoria is correct! I haven't done any rock scrambling for at least twenty-five years and given my current injury and lack of fitness, I knew I was going to hurt afterwards but what the heck, right? As it turned out, the only muscles that were sore were my quads and were they ever sore. It has taken until today for me to get them loosened enough for me to be able to walk around reasonably freely. :rolleyes:
We thought we'd have the mountain to ourselves and we did until around lunchtime. Five or six young blokes who looked like they were going to run the length of the razor back went past us as we started to make our way back. Then we met a young bloke and his girlfriend who were resting having scaled the highest part carrying what looked to be 70l packs. I couldn't have done that so I take my hat off to them both. Then we encountered a group of around eighteen young people, late teens or very early twenties who were dressed more for the beach than the bush but it was good to see them getting out and about.
If anyone knows the details of the young lad who apparently was killed up there, his death being commemorated on the plaque that I photographed, I would like to hear from them. Googling the details has produced nothing of any value. :(

Here is a link to the photos I took. I hope this works. http://s12.photobucket.com/user/biggles1024/Cathedral Range/story

Here is a link to the photos I took. I hope this works. http://s12.photobucket.com/user/biggles1024/Cathedral Range/story
Hi. I was on the hike when the boy died. Could you please send me the pic of the plaque?

Colin

Russell Coight
Reaction score
That's a great find, MDU. I've now edited my online log on geocaching.com to include an excerpt from that document. Thanks very much for solving the riddle.
I was on that unfortunate hike
My attempts at learning how he died proved futile. I surmised that he had fallen but fortunately, mongoosedownunder has found some information for us. I know I certainly didn't expect to find a plaque in that location. It could be very easily overlooked.