Sharpening SAK's

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I have a collection of SAK's for tool kits and a few tiny ones for inoffensive carry. I was putting lanyards on the little ones and thought I should touch up the edges. I have been stropping all other knives, predominantly kitchen because they get the most use, for over a year or so now. I know that the steel used in SAK's isn't particularly tough - the emphasis is on versatility, ease of sharpening and easy maintenance, hence stainless. So I'm guessing that they will only ever need stropping! That's my plan from now on. No point wearing them out unnecessarily. Any thoughts?

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
that's the perfect situation mate, if you are happy with the secondary bevel angle and thinness behind the edge measurement there should be no reason to reset the edge via sharpening and once sharp stropping is all you should need to do to maintain keenness. The trick is to never allow them to dull to the point that a strop won't bring it back.
I think too many people resharpen unnecessarily, which as you note wears knives out quicker. Remember sharpening thickens the behind the edge measurement as you move the bevel 'up' the blade which just makes the blade less 'slicey'

A bit OT but talking about SAK's I found these on Ebay the other day, a solution to the pocket clip issue for SAK's
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Stainless-Steel-Mini-Pocket-Suspension-Clip-With-UFO-Buckle-Set-EDC-Quicklink-0B/283283479096?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

an attachable pocket clip that you secure to the lanyard and allows you to basically hang your SAK from your pocket lip. I bought a couple and IMHO are a brilliant idea.

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Thank you for that waveman. I enjoy stropping so it should work. I've only recently begun to realise that stropping could be the only system needed to maintain an edge. That traditionally sharpening with a stone etc may only be needed to repair damage or bring back a dull edge that is beyond stropping. Lately, if we go away for a while, I've just been taking the strop, whereas I used to always take a stone.

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
A bit OT but talking about SAK's I found these on Ebay the other day, a solution to the pocket clip issue for
an attachable pocket clip that you secure to the lanyard and allows you to basically hang your SAK from your pocket lip. I bought a couple and IMHO are a brilliant idea.
I was looking for something like a clip for some old style pocket knives. I've given up now. I did find an alternative for the SAK's though - it would be my preference for the SAK if I carried it on person, which I don't they're always in a toolkit or pack.