"Setopress" pressure bandage

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I did a search on the name of this bandage but didn't turn up any results so thought I'd start a new thread.

I've just learned of the existence of this bandage and am wondering if anyone in the forum has any experience with it or any thoughts about it.

On the surface, it seems like a good idea but on the other hand, I'm wondering how common it is for first aiders to apply crepe or elastic bandages with an inappropriate amount of tension thus resulting in either venom moving from the patients lymphatic system into their bloodstream or if too tight, causing a partial or complete amputation to be performed at a later date.

I'm also wondering how this bandage might stack up against the Israeli Army bandage, the one with the plastic pressure bar.

The website is here http://www.bsar.org/setopress

Brumby53

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
This looks good to me. I sold First Aid Supplies for a living for a few years and saw this type of bandage for use by Diabetics to get correct tension. Those are not appropriate for Snake Bite as the tension is NOT enough.
It seems someone has taken the idea one step further and produced one suitable for snake bite.
For other reasons I have been a member of Independence Australia for about 20 years and I would 100% guarantee they would not be selling this product if they weren't positive it does what is claimed.
That said Crepe bandages come in a range of 'strengths' (for want of a better word) light, medium and Heavy. I have always carried Heavy 150mm x 2 M Bandages for snake bite & I would be happy/confident using it
for snake bite. Fortunately I have never needed to. (With these ...when you think you have the right tension you probably haven't pull it up some more)
I am not familiar with the Israeli Bandage.

ArcheRoo

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Thanks for the post! these certainly seem like a fantastic idea, and multi applicable as it is still a normal bandage when the tension meter is not required! i may have to look in to carrying one for the hopefully never required snake bite event! Thanks

elof_alv

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
There used to be a specifically snake bite first aid bandage that went out of use a few years ago. It worked on the same principle, if the (IIRC) blue box was square then tension was just right.

It is VERY easy to apply elastic bandage too tightly. Having sprained my ankles quite often (basketball) I learned required amount of tension the hard way...

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
This is another kit that was publicised here in the forum some time back.

http://www.next72hours.com/products/snake-bite-management-kit

There are a couple of videos showing its use on YT but it's really three bandages and a Sharpie and not much more.

The best price that I've found today for the Setopress bandage is here

http://store.independenceaustralia....n-bandages/setopress-bandage-10cmx3-5mtr.html

$15.13 each including free delivery. Two of those shouldn't break anyone's bank.

Cheers,

b.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
My understanding:

Crepe bandages are not suitable, because crepe is really designed to hold a dressing in place.

Elastic bandages are designed to apply pressure, so these are first choice when putting together a snake bite kit.
- anything which helps you put the bandage on quickly and correctly is a good is a IMO !
- as mentioned already, if you're putting together a kit, then three bandages would be best, esp for adults and (lets face it) "fat" legs etc...

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
I did a search on the name of this bandage but didn't turn up any results so thought I'd start a new thread.

I've just learned of the existence of this bandage and am wondering if anyone in the forum has any experience with it or any thoughts about it.

On the surface, it seems like a good idea but on the other hand, I'm wondering how common it is for first aiders to apply crepe or elastic bandages with an inappropriate amount of tension thus resulting in either venom moving from the patients lymphatic system into their bloodstream or if too tight, causing a partial or complete amputation to be performed at a later date.

I'm also wondering how this bandage might stack up against the Israeli Army bandage, the one with the plastic pressure bar.

The website is here http://www.bsar.org/setopress
/////////

Last edited: