Serape - useful or not?

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I have an excellent down sleeping bag that I've had for years. Been thinking of switching to a down quilt instead.
And I have a Jämä Blanket Shirt which is an excellent bit of kit for car camping and short overnight hikes (it's very heavy!).

Then I see a thing called a serape. Most often from Hill People Gear.

Apparently can double as a sleeping bag. Useful or not?
I'm guessing they're not quite as fire proof as a woollen blanket shirt, but very much lighter.
As for price, they're actually cheaper than a down sleeping bag.

Good for (West) Aussie conditions, or are there better things out there?

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Aussie123 ordered this gossamer thin poncho from a seatosummit sale. I don't know much about it or the serape. The poncho is made of the same stuff that some high end ultra light tents in the US are made of - it also breathes. I imagine it's the sort of thing that is so small and light that it would be easy to carry as an emergency type thing. It isn't padded like the serape and it can supposedly double as a tarp.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
….. or are there better things out there?
You should have a good look at a Jerven Bag, Lots of videos and reviews are online.

The tarp-poncho I've ordered has no insulation and is just a light weight tarp (or poncho)

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I have Helikon Swagman roll multiple uses.
Good piece of kit.
Seems to have gone up a lot in price though

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
....soft.
Mae grannie knitted me a barbed wire bag , which has some holes innit due to overuse and ye dinnae hear me complaining..
Here is a comparison

it is thin and really would be of use in the summer as a bag. As an underquilt it would be ok. Around the fire it would not be ember proof at all. I have used it sitting still in a field at night full clothed and it did the job.
One of the Mad Men has the HPG serape.

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Is it warm enough to be used as a sleeping bag?
It looks rather thin.
I would say yes but only down to about 10c, one advantage though as it is quite big you can use it as an over bag.
I use mine with a quilt for a little more warmth when it gets cold.
Ultimately I save some weight by not needing to carry warm clothing as well as my bed.

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I would say yes but only down to about 10c, one advantage though as it is quite big you can use it as an over bag.
I use mine with a quilt for a little more warmth when it gets cold.
Ultimately I save some weight by not needing to carry warm clothing as well as my bed.
I'm a cold sleeper, and I loves me Western Mountaineering down sleeping bag.
I've thought about going to a quilt, but that means probably arsing about trying to find a suitable mattress etc. The WM on my Thermarest NeoAir works just fine with a silk liner. Toasty as.
I think I'll stick with that, and lugging my blanket short around for show. :cool:

WilliamVC

Russell Coight
Reaction score
....soft.
Mae grannie knitted me a barbed wire bag , which has some holes innit due to overuse and ye dinnae hear me complaining..
Here is a comparison

it is thin and really would be of use in the summer as a bag. As an underquilt it would be ok. Around the fire it would not be ember proof at all. I have used it sitting still in a field at night full clothed and it did the job.
One of the Mad Men has the HPG serape.
I tried this recently and I really liked it very comfortable in it

WilliamVC

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I tried this recently and I really liked it very comfortable in it

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I checked out MDU's on a recent trip, then went with a Helikon Swagman Roll as the HPG was out of stock, and I was ordering other goodies from Helikon anyway.
It arrives next week.