secrete swiss army straight pin storage point

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
found this vid, confirmed the hole under the screwdriver on both the super tinker and hiker models, only problem is buying straight pin replacements off Ebay is expensive ($7 for the pin, $22 postage) going to have to find an alternative source for straight pins as that postage cost is ridiculous for a item that weighs a few grams and would fit in an envelope (so would be the cost of a stamp and the envelope to 'ship' over here).

got onto a bloke on Ebay with far more reasonable postage costs and bought 3 straight pins (viktyls, has 99.7% positive feedback and is based in the Ukraine and has a heap of Victorinox stuff)

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll have to check when I get home, but I think our standard sewing pins fit the scales

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
OK I have looked into this a bit more, the Field Master has it (I am going to buy a field master and was watching a review and it was that review that actually got me onto this secrete hole for the straight pin) and as far as I know most SAK's that have the new 91mm Cellidor scales should have this option (whether they have the straight pin or not supplied with the tool is another question) so most new SAK's should have this option.

I will also ask the forum, please check your SAK and report and update this thread so we all can get a clear picture as to which models have the hole and which don't.

As far as using standard sewing needle, totally agree, yes of course you can do this, and you will save yourself some money in the process. But I bought original SAK straight pins because I wanted the straight pin with the flange on the end of the pin, so the pin seats properly in the hole and is secured by the phillips head screwdriver when closed, this might not be important to you, but it was to me and I wasn't worried about the saving of a few dollars by buying original SAK straight pins. But that is just me.
I was also concerned with the possibility of me being who I am and jamming in a too large a sail needle in the hole and buggering up and having to do something drastic to get it out...LoL

Last edited:

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I have the handyman SAK in toolkits. These are the ones I've mentioned somewhere here on bushcraft oz, where I've put the right size needle there. You can leave it poking out a bit and it wont hinder the cork screw. The beauty of a needle is that it functions as a pin or a needle. I always carry floss in my kits. Floss is very strong for sewing repairs. I also use a small floss loop on the needle to help extract it out of the knife. I really recommend this knife too; having a file / hack saw really increases your range of hacks.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
straight pins turned up, fit perfectly, now have filled both the Super Tinker and Hiker and have a spare for the Field Master, they are just pins, and should have just raided the misuses as she has thousands of them as she is a cross stitcher :mad: anyway I'll know for next time.

anyway I'll know for next time.

in sitting flush

half out

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Well I would have never thought of it. Found a pin and slid it in with no difficulty into my SAK Camping.

Thanks for the tip.

IMG_6052_1.JPG

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
several people are asking, what's the pin used for, here's a tongue in cheek review of the straight pin and some uses for it. Lots of uses and why not fill that hole up with a pin, again no weight, and the holes already there empty.....

showed the missus today my SAK straight pin (didn't mention how much I paid for them) and she pulled out a box of pins, a couple hundred just in this one box, and she has several boxes of them around the place, not to mention my seamstress mother-in law who lives with us who would have even more of them, she said I must talk to here next time before ordering anything like this next time.