Scouting for a stealth campsite

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
IMHO it's relatively easy to "stealth camp" even if you have a white car etc. Try and park your car in deep shadow to prevent reflections from glass etc, have some sort of dense scrub to the road side and have the nose of your car (therefore the narrowest section) pointed to the most likely avenue of approach. You will be amazed at how your vehicle disappears.
Want to take it anothe step further? Get some cheap hessian. Pour a bit of diesel on it then rub it in the dirt around your camp (drag it behind your car for few hundred metres - that also eliminates your tyre tracks....) Leave for a day or two to let it dry and the smell to evaporate. Drape that over your car and even you will have trouble finding it. Lol. You can use it again and again in same area.
Change sites? Cut and paste until the hessian wears out.
Cam nets are awesome but bloody expensive.
Remember 6 Ss and an M! Shape, shadow, silhouette, shine, spacing, movement and the sixth S, sound.
Keep a low profile, keep it pretty quiet, no roaring campfires and your movements smooth and slow and you could camp in a city park and no-one would know you are there....lol
Cheers
Bloffy

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
IMHO it's relatively easy to "stealth camp" even if you have a white car etc. Try and park your car in deep shadow to prevent reflections from glass etc, have some sort of dense scrub to the road side and have the nose of your car (therefore the narrowest section) pointed to the most likely avenue of approach. You will be amazed at how your vehicle disappears.
Want to take it anothe step further? Get some cheap hessian. Pour a bit of diesel on it then rub it in the dirt around your camp (drag it behind your car for few hundred metres - that also eliminates your tyre tracks....) Leave for a day or two to let it dry and the smell to evaporate. Drape that over your car and even you will have trouble finding it. Lol. You can use it again and again in same area.
Change sites? Cut and paste until the hessian wears out.
Cam nets are awesome but bloody expensive.
Remember 6 Ss and an M! Shape, shadow, silhouette, shine, spacing, movement and the sixth S, sound.
Keep a low profile, keep it pretty quiet, no roaring campfires and your movements smooth and slow and you could camp in a city park and no-one would know you are there....lol
Cheers
Bloffy

Cool:cool: and thanks for the advice! It is welcomed advice too, as quality camo nets are pushing $340 + postage, as I want 2 of them. My biggest problem is this is desert vegetation. There isn't a lot of it and its quite precious. Meaning I wouldn't tear it up, even to cover the back of my car. I could use dead stuff, though its time consuming. I will get the hessian & do as you say. Leaving it there is a very convenient idea too. But have seen what Bunnings want for hessian? To get enough of it, you end up in the same place as a cheap camo net! Outrageous! Unless you can recommend anywhere cheaper to buy it? You sound like you have some experience at this. I am almost ready top go. I wont be stealth camping illegally or in city parks though, lol - I will be wild Stealth camping out on the coldest night i can find, hopefully with some descent rain to test equipment.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
My wife suggested Spotlight. Otherwise I can't suggest anywhere. Maybe a less well known hardware store, Seen it by the roll but I can't, for the life of me, think where.
Anyone?
Cheers
Bloffy

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
My wife suggested Spotlight. Otherwise I can't suggest anywhere. Maybe a less well known hardware store, Seen it by the roll but I can't, for the life of me, think where.
Anyone?
Cheers
Bloffy

Cheers Bloffy, Spotlight is a good idea. I will try them. Failing this, salvage yards may have something. I have appreciated the supportive nature of the forum community as far ideas go for getting things on the cheap. Things are so expensive these days and doing things yourself can be enjoyable (y)

barefoot dave

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Some medium sized car yards use loads of the stuff to create ' invite only'sales. Also used for other events to 'hide' the view. Try an events company. Bonus would be that it will be pre-weathered!

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
If you want to take a look at a camo pattern that might work try PenCott Badlands.
Military first have 15% off atm.

Big amounts of hessian/burlap/scrim are going to soak up water and be heavy.

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I'd suggest that the largest user of hessian is the construction industry. Concreters use it to cover slabs and paving if rain is expected and in recent years, large commercial sites also drape it down temporary fencing to minimise the amount of dust that leaves the site.
Like most things, hessian is available in different grades or qualities. The high end stuff gets used in Craftwork and is priced accordingly. Low grade stuff is used in construction and that's all you need for your purposes.
Suggest you try garden supply places, especially those that also offer mini-mix concrete and concrete suppliers. Steer clear of Bunnings and the like. They sell retail quantities at retail prices. You want trade price if possible.
If you're on Facebook, make a habit of checking the Facebook Marketplace. I saw rolls of hessian for sale not far from me in two different ads earlier this year. I've also picked up quite a number of bargains including lots of free stuff from there, but those items weren't related to bushcraft.
You might also try Gumtree, but in my experience, that site is a deadloss.

HTH,
b.