Scouting for a stealth campsite II

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I got out there again for a final time recently and really pushed myself to find a stealth campsite. I found two campsites and settled on them, as least for now! This was not easy, as among other things, this can be a very windy area at times. These sites will be used in winter and summer.

I won't revisit all the variables I wrote in the ' Scouting for a stealth campsite (1)' thread, but in recapping, I had to factor in the position of the tent for shelter purposes, then the position of the fire and then finding trees in the right places, a reasonably close distance apart to support my shelter ridge-line. The ground also needed to be relatively flat. I found often times where there is shade, animals had dug pits beneath trees and shrubs, making the ground a virtual excavation site in order for it to be hospitable (I thought I wouldn't really need that folding army AIMS shovel, now I think again). Then there was easy, but obscured vehicle access, ensuring no or very minimal environmental impact for when I decide to drive in! Then came the camouflaging aspects of the tent and site in general- sure I could bury myself in bush, but I want to be able to have a view and see the road, while being hidden at the same time. I also don't want to be in too much bush in case of animal attraction and or animal attack, bush fire and so I can perform bush-craft projects more easily and eliminate any potential bush fires I may cause. I found this was a very challenging task to accomplish and it took 3 days to achieve.

Sure I could have chosen a campsite quicker that would make do, but I wanted a few places I could keep using on a regular basis that would cater to extreme heat and wind resistance, and one where I could build a re-usable fire pit.

For safety's sake and so I could find these campsites again I took GPS coordinates of both campsites(y)

This is one of two campsites I found. I call it the 'bushes campsite'. It rests between two large native bushes. The time was 13:30 and there was already ample shade. There is also a taller tree due East which may provide some morning shade as well.

I made a handy campfire from materials salvaged from the area and enjoyed a cuppa after all my efforts. Now its time to just start enjoying the serenity of the bush...

A view from what will be the front entrance of the pup tent toward the main track in the distance. A bend in the track is just visible. The track comes closer to the campsite at one point, but it is well obscured by the bush.

Another view from the main track toward the campsite. In the distance you will see a tall tree, centre screen. From 8 o'clock and down next to this tree there are two large bushes. The campsite will be in front of and to the right of these two bushes. No doubt very difficult to see a camo tent from the road. The car is to the right, but this was only a temporary parking spot. The car will be parked on an abandoned track not far from these campsites (see below for image of this hidden track).

The abandoned track I will park the car on, if I ever use this campsite while car camping. Such tracks are rare out here. I was lucky that it just so happened to be nested between 2 campsite for convenience.

The second high shade campsite nestled between these 2 bushy evergreen trees. Its difficult to see but there is generous space for a tent and a campfire between these two trees. This campsite is highly obscured from the road and the abandoned track is close to it, but the tent is still fairly well hidden. I think I saw foot prints about a week old on this abandoned track though, which should make camping here a challenge!

A fresh big red print near the 'bushes campsite' demonstrates animal activity in the area.

As I plan to hike in, I left and camouflaged 3 days of water supply here.

Last edited: