scout recipes

pickstock

Russell Coight
Reaction score
instead of having 'bush craft' recipes i figured we could do with a scout recipe thread
things id like to see here
hiking meals-easy light materials, little cooking, with big energy and taste
standing camp meals-tastes good to keep moral up, can be a little more cooking and prep time

ive got a couple that ill try and find out

pickstock

Russell Coight
Reaction score
P.S i don't use measurements much

very filling hike meal, low mess
ingredients
packet of DEB instant mash potatoes
sachet of spam
pinch of curry powder

mix curry powder and mash potato before leaving, glad zip bags work well
fry spam up lightly, i use a saucepan on the tranny
mix water with the deb
pour it into the pan
stir it around

eat
pretty dam good for hiking and i have a habit of eating it when wasted........

darren

Templar
Reaction score
Lucky Country, where the geckos are paid to l
my variation on your deb meal
At home put a cup of deb and a tablespoon of french onion soup mix in one of those microwave cook zip lock bags
in another small ziplock put a hand full of dried peas and corn
any cooked meat, last nights sausages, canned ham etc.
i put 2 cups of water in a 600ml mug and throw in the peas and corn and let sit cold for 5 min. This saves fuel.
Bring it to the boil
tip it in the bag and stir
add the diced meat
let it sit for 5 then eat out of the bag.
Meat and 3 vedge with no cleaning up as all you did was boil water.
Darren

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
The only thing wrong with lasts nite cooked meat is the inevitable food poisoning when said Scout forgets the meat for 2 days and still uses it ( Thrift being a Scout virtue ) Canned SPAM is safer for that style of cooking

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
"scout recipes"
I have never tried scout before. I suppose they taste like chicken...
Nothing wrong with a good bit of Dib, Dib, Dib, with yer Deb, Deb, Deb.
Just gotta watch for all them bloody badges. They get stuck in yer throat.

Bill.

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Dried meats such as biltong etc can be re-hydrated & used fairly safely, or eaten as they are - dried.
The addition of a few small spices & other ingredients such as a bit of crushed garlic can make some fairly plain 'trappins' paletable also.

Bill.

Neilsk

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I make a similar meal to this on longer hikes deb and canned chicken. i know its sounds nasty but i actually have developed a liking for the canned chicken, its like breast meat with a bit of water. simliar to the tuna cans. oh and Salami make sure you get the stuff that can survive at room temperature.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Came across a recipe the other day, nice and simple. Even my youngest scouts could handle it, I think.
Was going to make it last week for lunch but finished my hike early.
This is a JetBoil recipe that I really want to try. Anyone get there before let me know, although I'll probably cook it for lunch tomorrow.
Ingredients:
Two cups of water
1 cup cous cous
1 chicken stock cube
1 small tin of chicken
Method:
Add water and stock cube to the cooking cup.
Bring to a boil. Add couscous and turn off burner. Cover and wait about five minutes for couscous to absorb water. Add chicken and mix it into the couscous.
That's it. Simple eh? And sounds good.
Bon appetite!
Cheers
Bloffy

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Very simple Boffy, sounds good.

You could add some dehydrated veg to make a "balanced" meal ?

Burnsy

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
One stock cube is a lot of salt if you are giving it to kids/scouts especially seeing the can of chicken will probably already have a heap in it (by the way I tried the canned chicken last year on biscuits, never again). Another tip, most stock cubes also have monosodium glutamate (flavour enhancer 621) in them, makes plenty of kids go troppo and gives some insomnia, no fun on camps.

Came across a recipe the other day, nice and simple. Even my youngest scouts could handle it, I think.
Was going to make it last week for lunch but finished my hike early.
This is a JetBoil recipe that I really want to try. Anyone get there before let me know, although I'll probably cook it for lunch tomorrow.
Ingredients:
Two cups of water
1 cup cous cous
1 chicken stock cube
1 small tin of chicken
Method:
Add water and stock cube to the cooking cup.
Bring to a boil. Add couscous and turn off burner. Cover and wait about five minutes for couscous to absorb water. Add chicken and mix it into the couscous.
That's it. Simple eh? And sounds good.
Bon appetite!
Cheers
Bloffy

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
@Burnsy - good point; but you can get low salt versions too, and probably non-MSG versions (never specifically looked for that). Personally I think that even the "low salt" versions are quite salty (for my palate).

A slight alternative is to buy a jars (or tin) of stock powder, because then you could use just a fraction of a cube and add that to your dry mix.

Neilsk

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Yeah have you seen the pre packed cous cous? like the ainsley harriet brand, pre flavoured just add the chicken meat? that works great on hikes. thats one of the best things about cous cous. you only need to boil water and let it absorb. no wasted water and limited fuel use.

Burnsy

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
@Burnsy - good point; but you can get low salt versions too, and probably non-MSG versions (never specifically looked for that). Personally I think that even the "low salt" versions are quite salty (for my palate).

A slight alternative is to buy a jars (or tin) of stock powder, because then you could use just a fraction of a cube and add that to your dry mix.
This is true but just thought people should be aware. I cook with kids at school and it is actually pretty hard to find the cubes without 621 in them. There is a brand, starts with M I think that is organic and does not have it in, not sure if it low salt though.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
This is true but just thought people should be aware. I cook with kids at school and it is actually pretty hard to find the cubes without 621 in them. There is a brand, starts with M I think that is organic and does not have it in, not sure if it low salt though.
This one for instance. I especially like the "No animal content" in the Chicken Style stock - LOL
(Lunchtime walk - I was going to the supermarket anyway)
Here's the stock cubes and tin of stock in the same pic, various flavours are available :
IMAG0329 (Small).jpg

(No Affiliation)

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Backwoods cooking is always a favourite with my Scouts.
Take a piece of meat - steak, sausage, etc. Add a bit of sauce or gravy for a "marinade", chop up half a carrot, some frozen peas and corn or fresh if available, thinly sliced potato, onion etc and a dob of butter (I add garlic to mine for extra flavour and to keep the vampires at bay) and wrap in two layers of foil, one "north-south" one "east-west", making sure both a well sealed with just a bit of expansion room. Then take an apple and cut out the core and replace with sultanas and a drizzle of honey for the healthy eaters and us calorifically enhanced individuals get Flakes or Mars Bars. Wrap the same way.
If refrigerated beforehand, this will last for one or two days without spoiling.
Get the campfire going and let it create a good bed of glowing coals (Or create a side cooking fire is usually ba better option.) and put the meals in. Put the main in for about 15-20 minutes. The apple goes in as the main comes out and usually takes about 10 minutes or so to cook. Absolutely scrumptious. Even the fussiest eaters like this because they get to pick what they like to put in it. Only rule I have is must be at least meat and two veg. Not had a vegetarian yet.
A dessert option is using a whole banana with the skin on and cutting a "wedge" in the skin on the inside curve. Again sultanas, dried apricot, fruit mix etc and Golden Syrup or honey, or M n Ms for a treat. My mouth is salivating at the thought.
I open the foil carefully on a plate and if you are careful, cleanup is a quick wipe of the knife and fork and ensure the foil is put in the rubbish. This is a great favourite for a two nighter as there is little cleanup, very little wasted water and, of course, marshmallows somehow always miraculously appear.
Cheers
Bloffy