Scats on the ground

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Last night while walking I looked down. Where the path went under some trees was clear evidence of recent animal activity:
IMAG0781 (Small).jpg

The small bean-shaped scats are from brushtail possums who, judging by the concentration of scats under one particular tree, had probably been feeding on the fruit over the last few nights.

Possums are nocturnal, so the only way to see them is to be out at night, but looking for signs, like scats, is a valuable way to identify animals in an area, without needing to sight them.

In this case, the concrete path made an excellent surface to showcase the scats to anyone who chose to look down.

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
I wonder if they are bean shaped as a result of the impact with the ground. If you do go back, remember to close your mouth when looking up.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Now I am no expert on excrement, but they kind of look like rat scats I had all through my shed recently. Except maybe a bit fatter and bent...
An easy mistake for the beginner I guess. Scats are one of my weakest knowledge areas. Thanks for sharing!

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Now I am no expert on excrement, but they kind of look like rat scats I had all through my shed recently. Except maybe a bit fatter and bent...
An easy mistake for the beginner I guess. Scats are one of my weakest knowledge areas. Thanks for sharing!
I'm no expert either!

This site shows the difference between various possum (including brustail) and rat scats:
http://www.ozarkwild.org/possumdeterrants.php

Interestingly they include the comment: " Large and small scats may mean mother and young. "

(no affiliation)

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if they are bean shaped as a result of the impact with the ground. If you do go back, remember to close your mouth when looking up.
They are too firm to deform on impact - I think that's they way they are made.
I did wonder if they would taste of the local fruit, but wasn't game to try one ! :linguino: