BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SADF Water Bottle Cover Competition

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hi fellow bushcrafters

I have been a fan of the SADF 2 litre water bottle for many years now. Whilst these water bottles are freely available in Australia, the cover and sling is not. I recently had a batch of these covers (with slings) made by the manufacturer in South Africa as some of the WA members were keen on the covers. Now I have two covers left over and they are looking for good homes!

SADF_2litre_WB_cover.jpg

COMPETITION TIME!

If you want one of the SADF 2 litre water bottle covers:

1. Tell us your best technical bushcraft tip.
2. You can submit as many entries as you want.
3. I will decide on the two winners of the competition and will post the covers anywhere in Australia.
4. My decision will be final:cool:
5. Did I mention that my decision will be final:_nu:

The competition will close on 30th June.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
OK, this is my tip ... pull start cord makes the best bow drill cord, far gripier than paracord and harder wearing.
Wrap some around the handle of your bow saw and use your bow saw frame to make friction fire when you need it.

Thanks for the comp Doc!

Last edited:

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
You can make a quick and easy spoon from a sea shell a twig. Here used pine pitch to join wood to the shell but you could use grass tree resin as well.Need a big cooking spoon use a big shell,small eating spoon small shell..

Teat,,,,,fjfjgfjgf 002.jpg

ChrisM

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
This is a tip I got from a friend, setting up a tarp with an easily adjusted ridge line. I googled it looking for a picture and found 1 so everyone may already know this trick.continuous-ridgeline-two-carabiners.jpg

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Boiling is a highly effective way of removing pathogens from water

Bringing clear water to a full, rolling boil for 1 minute will kill:
- Protozoa like: Cryptosporidium, Giardia
- Bacteria like: Campylobacter, Salmonella, Shigella, E. coli
- Viruses like: enterovirus, hepatitis A, norovirus, rotavirus

At altitudes over 2000m you should bring the water to a full, rolling boil for at least 3 minutes.
This is because water boils at a lower temperature as altitude increases, so a longer boil time is needed to ensure the pathogens are killed.

I’m sure most of us don’t sit around with a stop watch timing how long water boils for; however when you’re impatient, or low on fuel, it can be tempting to take the water off just as it starts to simmer (with a few bubbles).
Almost all of Australia has been grazed by cattle, sheep, horses and even deer, that all water, even on high mountains, must be viewed as a potential hazard.

Reference CDC :
http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/travel/backcountry_water_treatment.html

Tas

Ray Mears
Reaction score
If you have set up on the flat below a slope ( not in a gully hopefully)
Digging a small trench at the back and sides of your tarp/swag with even a stick can keep runoff from ruining your night in the event of rain

beasto

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
scrape slowly with the back of your knife on your fero rod to produce a small pile of shavings, place this pile among tinder and strike fero as normal so as to allow spark to contact shavings. this with cause a flash like gunpowder for a second and increases effectiveness 100%.

this technique is especially suited to wet and cold conditions

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
scrape slowly with the back of your knife on your fero rod to produce a small pile of shavings, place this pile among tinder and strike fero as normal so as to allow spark to contact shavings. this with cause a flash like gunpowder for a second and increases effectiveness 100%.

this technique is especially suited to wet and cold conditions

Very good tip!

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
dont have a tie out on your tarp just were you need it? say the middle of the sheet.
collect a small round pebble, pop on the inside where you need the tie out, scrunch material around pebble,
then tie cordage around the tarp pebble nut and tie out where you need.

ideal if you have a low shelter tarp and just need a bit of extra room above your head.

Mozz

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Make sure the lawns are mowed, the car is washed and a box of chocolates are readily available. That way next time you go out you don't need to justify yourself, the jobs are already done. (Seeya, Love, back late Sunday)
I already have one of these covers (Thanks Doc) and can thoroughly recommend them. Great, lightweight and well manufactured. Now if I could only find a suitable stainless steel cups canteen and a lid to fit, it would be perfect.
Cheers
Bloffy

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
The winners of the SADF 2 litre water bottle covers are:

1. Hairyman for his tip on using pull start cord makes the best bow drill cord, &
2. ChrisM for his tip on the continuous tarp ridgeline.

Well done and thanks to everyone who participated.