Rusty Gerber Multitool Restoration ?

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm after a bit of advice and suggestions please.

I was given an old Gerber multitool and its very dirty and rusty.
My question :
How can I clean up the rust ?

A lot of the bits are difficult to access, because of the confined space.

The tool works well, its not rusted shut, all the bits open and close, so the rust is mostly on the surface
I know this isn't a super high-end tool, but rather than bin it I'd like to see if I can get it back to good condition.

Let me know what ideas you have for a restoration

Thanks in advance
20200815_094130.jpg

20200815_094137.jpg
20200815_094153.jpg 20200815_094258.jpg

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Brush as much as you can off, then as Askew says vinegar, but I would then neutralise with baking soda/bic

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with that. I'd dismantle it as much as I could, then use a wire brush. Even a dremel with a wire brush if you have it - I would avoid any cutting edges though (scissors, knife etc). Clean it with an oily rag (wear nitrile gloves, put it back together wipe it down then oil the pivots of pliers, scissors and ends of the tool itself. I'd only spend 30mins on it and not try to get rid of every sign of rust. It's a useful tool - I have swiss army knives in bicycle tool kits. A universal tool like that is surprisingly handy for the things you don't expect to happen.

Boogers

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
WD40 removes rust pretty well, but I think you'd need to dismantle it as much as possible to get into all the small spaces.

Chigger

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Evaporust has worked wonders on some old rusted kerosene lanterns I have. Firstly remove most of the heavy rust with a wire brush then dunk the item into the Evaporust and after the process the rust is gone.

Evaporust is non posionus and can be reused which is a useful feature.

Kiwisailor

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I know a soak in a tin of diesel works wonders for seized tools
Yep, I agree.
Works even better if you can warm with hairdryer or heatgun (not hot) before putting into warm diesel.
This will remove any moisture on the metal.
You may have to leave for a few days before removing and scrubbing wit stainless steel wool.
Tools that most people would toss out have been resurrected.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, if you have Or have access to an ultrasonic cleaner, they are excellent. I've got one from Aldi which was about $30. They come up once or twice a year

Kiwisailor

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, if you have Or have access to an ultrasonic cleaner, they are excellent. I've got one from Aldi which was about $30. They come up once or twice a year
Hi, yep they are a great bit of kit.
Ensure you do not use inflammable liquid in them. Diesel kero etc.
They will explode...

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. I decided to take the tool apart to clean it.

The nasty bits were all over the tool and I thought the only way I'm going to be able to get to it all was to take it apart.

Problem #1 - I had one torx driver the correct size, but of course you need 2 so you can hold the other end of the bolt.
Problem #2 - All the shops are shut
Problem #3 - I ordered online, and the post is soooo sloooowwww (even though I made a point of ordering from a local supplier)

haha ... problems over, really just delays and a bit of annoyance:
20200905_160244.jpg

Once again, limited access to shops, so I opted to soak the parts in vinegar:
After a couple of hours and a bit of a scratch with a tooth pick, you can see the rust and gunk coming off:
20200905_183007.jpg

Then I used a several small wads of Al Foil to scrub the stubborn bits. This worked really well and you can see how clean and shiny it looks (below):
20200905_185018.jpg

Because of the vinegar, I spoked / washed it in Bi carb to try and neutralise the acidity, so it doesn't keep eating away of the steel, and rinsed it in water too:
20200905_185452.jpg

Then I soaked it with wd40 and put it in a bag with a wd40 wet paper towel. I left it for (a few days because I was doing other stuff). I thought that should allow it to penetrate and disperse any moisture, and lubricate everything
20200905_190759.jpg

I left the tool out, in the sun to allow the wd to dissapate. You can see I did a few touchups with some Al Foil, a wire brush and a copper shard (to get into some tight spots):
20200906_130537.jpg

I greased it put it back together. It looks almost as good as new and all the bits open and close very easily.
I sharpened the blades and its ready for action !

20200926_132207.jpg

Kiwisailor

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. I decided to take the tool apart to clean it.

The nasty bits were all over the tool and I thought the only way I'm going to be able to get to it all was to take it apart.

Problem #1 - I had one torx driver the correct size, but of course you need 2 so you can hold the other end of the bolt.
Problem #2 - All the shops are shut
Problem #3 - I ordered online, and the post is soooo sloooowwww (even though I made a point of ordering from a local supplier)

haha ... problems over, really just delays and a bit of annoyance:
View attachment 27670

Once again, limited access to shops, so I opted to soak the parts in vinegar:
After a couple of hours and a bit of a scratch with a tooth pick, you can see the rust and gunk coming off:
View attachment 27671

Then I used a several small wads of Al Foil to scrub the stubborn bits. This worked really well and you can see how clean and shiny it looks (below):
View attachment 27672

Because of the vinegar, I spoked / washed it in Bi carb to try and neutralise the acidity, so it doesn't keep eating away of the steel, and rinsed it in water too:
View attachment 27673

Then I soaked it with wd40 and put it in a bag with a wd40 wet paper towel. I left it for (a few days because I was doing other stuff). I thought that should allow it to penetrate and disperse any moisture, and lubricate everything
View attachment 27674

I left the tool out, in the sun to allow the wd to dissapate. You can see I did a few touchups with some Al Foil, a wire brush and a copper shard (to get into some tight spots):
View attachment 27675

I greased it put it back together. It looks almost as good as new and all the bits open and close very easily.
I sharpened the blades and its ready for action !

View attachment 27676
Nice result. I'm impressed...