Ruby saltbush

big pete

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I got a lot of ruby salt bush growing nearby I know the fruit is edible and have eaten it,and I know the leaves re meant to be edible but I'm curious as to how you would use them? I'm thinking they may be good as a stuffing but I'd like to hear other peoples opinions/experiences .

kiwibro

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Michael do you mean smoke the meat over the leaves or use the wood as a normal smoker would?

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I've eaten the fruits, and they do vary from bush to bush sometimes, so try and find some palatable berries, even if the first one is not so good.

I haven't tried the leaves, but a bit of searching revealed the following snips of information:

" .... Early colonists boiled the leaves and ate them as a substitute vegetable"

"There are better tasting vegetables, but in times of vegetable scarcity saltbush leaves have been valued for their ability to stave off scurvy. The quantity of salt they contain varies, depending on the amount in the soil where they grow. They need to be cooked, and boiling them briefly also removes much of the salt.
Nowadays we would throw this salty water away, but early settlers and explorers needed a source of salt, both for their health, and for preserving meat. The salt from saltbushes was valued!"

"...Whilst palatability varies, ruby saltbush is generally more palatable than most saltbushes."

Michael

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
no the leaves soak em in water for a bit s0o that don't burn to quick