Road Kill

Aussie Forager CQ

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hi All

So when it rains it pours! The wife and I have hit two wallabies in nearly as many days! Our freezers are full of skins and chopped up wallaby. Not much has been wasted which is good. I have put aside the meat for the dogs in these two cases and harvested the skin, sinew, teeth and some bone for bushcrafty uses. I will update this thread with any progress I make.

It has made me wonder what others do with their road kill?*

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Good use of resources that would otherwise be wasted. Or even worse cause the death of eagles or other scavengers....

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
not inclined to do much with road kill but have checked for joeys on the odd occasion, i really do need a sticker on the back of the vehicle "I stop for animals"

we saw a fresh Wombat a few weekends back and couldn't stop, it was a bad section of winding road (Barrengarry Pass)

this is an interesting topic MC...any Wombats up your way and do you harvest them as well?

bungie

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I went to school in a small country town in west England.
All the road kill, foxes, badgers, rabbits and anything else ended up in the science lab for autopsy. Better than chopping up small frogs. I remember them skinning and salting(?) the skins but was to young to have an interest in what was going on.

Wildfire

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Im glad people utilize this resource, but what is the line between legally harvesting animals that are roadkill and when you could be in trouble with the Law? is it feral species OK and natives not?

Neilsk

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Im glad people utilize this resource, but what is the line between legally harvesting animals that are roadkill and when you could be in trouble with the Law? is it feral species OK and natives not?
Yeah i was just talking the other day about this, a guy got pinned for having Kangaroos in his tray. was at the pub and the cops pinged him.

Jarrad

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
First I have to say good work on not wasting resources....

Secondly, I would like ask how you preserve/tan your skins?

I would like to have a go myself but i'm not quote sure what method to go with?

Cheers