Ridgeline Waterproofs Any Good Guys?

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay guys your thoughts on Ridgeline wet weather gear?I what to upgrade my waterproofs by the end of the year..I am using a helikon ECWCS jacket at the moment.It is okay but could be better for sure,just started to leek at the seams.:ngazzat:

I looked online and the main issue with Rideline seems the lack of breathability.I do like things that are a more earth tone like green,brown.All the big main hiking brands do there gear in alpine orange,red or like.

wasd 019.jpg
Me in my Helikon on a bush foods walk with some mates..

Ridgelines website...

http://www.ridgeline.co.nz/home

Last edited:

Mountainwalker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I nearly bought one at the Ridgeline shop in the blue mountains but decided not too because like you I didn't know what the general consensus was. They were half price at the shop. They look reasonable quality and I think hunters are their primary market.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I nearly bought one at the Ridgeline shop in the blue mountains but decided not too because like you I didn't know what the general consensus was. They were half price at the shop. They look reasonable quality and I think hunters are their primary market.
Hunters are there main market for sure..Looked a Ridgeline fleece one time and there sizes where all over the shop.

odgens

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Hunters are there main market for sure..Looked a Ridgeline fleece one time and there sizes where all over the shop.
I run one of their Mallard jackets as my primary rain jacket when hunting...nothing but good things to say and haven't any issues. Warm, dry and not to $$$

Had about three of their jackets now and all have been fantastic...

Brumby53

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I bought one of the Ridgeline Combo packs and like you discovered their sizing is a tad weird - I am a regular "Large" and normally don't have too many issues but the pants were on the cusp of too small and the top was way too big. Also I think the quality of their fleece has fallen off those original pants have been through the wash numerous times (20 - 30 +???) and when I recently got another brand new pair the fleece on the new pair was 'thinner' than the well used pair.
I realise that is way off subject of wet weather gear but I think you should be careful if someone says they "Bought some RL wet weather gear years ago and it's still going strong" The current quality could be different.

big pete

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Yeah I'd rethink it I've been using their clothes for years and they seem to be all over the place with the sizing,nothing ever seems to be the size thats written on the product,I just give up in the end

odgens

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I bought one of the Ridgeline Combo packs and like you discovered their sizing is a tad weird - I am a regular "Large" and normally don't have too many issues but the pants were on the cusp of too small and the top was way too big. Also I think the quality of their fleece has fallen off those original pants have been through the wash numerous times (20 - 30 +???) and when I recently got another brand new pair the fleece on the new pair was 'thinner' than the well used pair.
I realise that is way off subject of wet weather gear but I think you should be careful if someone says they "Bought some RL wet weather gear years ago and it's still going strong" The current quality could be different.
Never used any of their fleece so can't comment...my jackets are all 3+ years old with he oldest being nearly 6 years, maybe quality has gone down hill since?

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I'd rethink it I've been using their clothes for years and they seem to be all over the place with the sizing,nothing ever seems to be the size thats written on the product,I just give up in the end
Mix message that's all...I like to buy local when I can.