Review Zero Tolerance 0920

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I have owned the ZT 0920 for a while now, and here is my review of this knife

Backstory, I held off buying this knife for a while as I really didn't like the looks of it, in particular the top 'cut out' of the blade and the recurve edge (a feature I don't like on knives, makes it harder to sharpen and I honestly do not think it adds enough advantage to cutting to offset the sharpening hassles it adds), but when I got the chance to handle one (thanks to an ABF member ) I found I just had to have one. The big handle suited my XXL sized hands and there's just something about it that draws me to it.

what the company says
Based on Les George's Harpy, the 0920's design is practical, functional, and extremely clean.
The blade is CPM 20CV stainless steel with a stonewashed finish. This powdered metallurgy steel is considered one of the “super steels” for its top performance, offering outstanding edge holding capability and corrosion resistance. The blade has a scooped spine, top swedge, and a slight recurve for cutting versatility.
The knife opens with ZT’s KVT ball-bearing opening system for quick and easy manual opening with the built-in flipper. A titanium frame lock with hardened steel lockbar insert secures the blade open during use.
The titanium handle is fully 3D-machined so that it fits and fills the hand comfortably and smoothly. Machined texturing adds grip and the bead-blasted finish contrasts handsomely with the stonewashed blade. To help ensure this big folder is easy to carry, the insides of the handles are machined with weight-relieving pockets. ZT adds a touch of subtle color with the bronze-anodized aluminum tube spacers and bronze-anodized bent titanium pocket clip, and a touch of class with the oversized pivot. Black-oxide hardware completes the 0920’s understated, yet aggressive look.
and the specs

Made in the USA
KVT ball-bearing opening system
Flipper
Reversible bent titanium clip (left/right, tip-up)
Titanium frame lock, hardened steel lockbar insert
Steel: CPM 20CV, stonewashed finish
Handle: Titanium, bead-blasted finish
Blade Length: 3.9 in. (9.9 cm)
Blade Thickness: 0.156 in. (0.396 cm)
Closed Length: 5.1 in. (13 cm)
Overall Length: 9 in. (22.9 cm)
Weight: 5.4 oz. (153.1 g)

Costing was $320 including express post, bought off Australia Knife Sales

The ZT 0920 arrived in usual ZT fashion, in the standard ZT box and the knife in a bubble wrap slip pouch and paper work. The knife arrived shaving sharp, though I did strop the edge just to polish.

As mentioned above my first impressions of this knife weren't that good (looking at the pics and vids of the model) and I still describe the "beast with bling" as fugly, but to be honest the knife grows on you. The ZT 0920 is a big, burly knife, a full sized folder that I would happily classify as 'hard use' (though I am not a fan of applying those words to folders, and think that term when applied to folders is an oxymoron).
The knife features beautifully milled titanium handles that have also been heavily internally milled to reduce weight and despite the knife's size it only weighs 153.1g, and the 0920 has a nice, slightly blade heavy feel about it, with a balance point right behind the pivot at the index finger cutout. The milling adds heaps of texture to the handle. All edges on the handle have been nicely chamfered, adding to the ergos, and I could not find any hot spots during use.
The open frame design has two bronze anodized ti standoffs, oversized pivot, steel lock bar insert/over travel stop, lanyard hole and a three screw bronze ti pocket clip (that is set up for both right and left hand tip up carry) The pocket clip isn't deep carry but set so very little of the handle sticks out of the pocket All hardware besides the aforementioned stand off's and pocket clip are black. I contacted ZT and asked them to supply three more screws to fill in the presentation sides pocket clip holes, which they did free of charge (I have to mention the excellent customer service concerning this, ZT went the extra mile for me, supplying many different bits for several of my ZT's free of charge).
The knife goes in and out of the pocket easily, but the knife is large and it takes up a lot of real estate in the pocket. I am a front pocket carrier for my wallet and I have found I can't fit both the 0920 and my wallet in the same pocket, forcing me to review how I carry my EDC (I only wear cargo pants so the solution was easy and I simply moved my wallet down to the thigh pocket)

The stone washed CPM-20CV blade features a high hollow grind and has jimping on the top of the blade. The blade is perfectly centered, there is not blade play and no lock rock. While I don't like the spine cut out I understand why it was added as you can put your thumb forward resting right into this cutout allowing you to really bear down on the blade while performing heavy cutting tasks.
The flipper tab has jimping on both the top and back of it, and the 0920 functions as a 'light switch' flipper, and it is almost impossible to push button flip this knife. The flipping action is authoritative, the KVT bearing make this a great flipper and when combined with the big blades mass you can really get the blade to snap open.
Lockup is at 50%, giving plenty of lock confidence.

Conclusion The Beast with Bling is a very well made, big, burly, beast of a knife that perfectly suits large handed people and if you can get over its fugly appearance I highly recommend the Zero Tolerance 0920.

For full disclosure I would also add I have XXL hands, and that must play in to my review process, and the readers should keep that in mind when reading my reviews and recommendations.
Lastly I ONLY use folding knives for light cutting duties, so I will not do 'hard use' cutting tasks with any folder, that's what I have fixed blades for, so cutting tests consisted of cutting paper, cardboard, packaging, paracord, some food prep (again, not a task I use folders for for the most part) and other duties a stay-at-home-dad would use a cutting tool for around the house.
1-5 star system 1 star poor/fail 2 star below average 3 star average 4 above average 5 star excellent
-Hands on/Ergos 5 stars (for my big XXL hands, I could see this being too big for smaller handed people and that would reduce this rating)
- Materials/Features 5 stars
- Build Quality/Fit and Finish 5 stars
- Value/Price point 4.5 stars
- Aesthetics 3.75 stars

Overall rating (average of all above) 4.65 stars