Review WE 704cf-p

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Here is my review of the WE 704cf-p. I had wanted a 704 for a while, but as is WE's SOP they make a run and then discontinue, moving on to new designs. But thankfully recently WE decided to do another run of 704's and I jumped on the chance to own one. I picked the "P" version (purple anodized ti frame) because my wife thought it was pretty, personally I would have gone with the "B" (blue) but I had to defer to her will.

What the company says
RETURN OF THE WE 704 DUE TO POPULAR DEMAND.
WE Knives - 704 - M390 Blade with all Titanium handle.
We will be stocking the Grey, Blue and Purple models while they last. These sold very fast the first time WE produced this model. The Purple and Blue models are very popular with the ladies as an EDC knife.
The 704CF from WE Knife Co. is equipped with carbon fiber scales over sturdy titanium liners.
Its lightweight handle is paired with a hand rubbed satin finished Bohler M390 blade with a slight upswept tip. The standard WE ceramic bearing pivot offers smooth flipping action for responsive and reliable one-handed blade deployment. This pocket-friendly design comes fitted with a secure tip-up titanium pocket clip.
Makes an ideal Every Day Carry Knife
stats
Model number #704
Overall Length: 8.1”(206mm)
Blade Length: 3.6”(92mm)
Blade Thickness: 0.16”(4mm)
Blade Material: Bohler M390
Blade Hardness: HRC59-61
Blade Grind: Flat
Handle Length: 4.5”(114mm)
Handle Overall Thickness: 0.59”(15mm)
Handle Scale: 6AL4V Titanium
Liner Material: 6AL4V Titanium
Clip Material: 6AL4V Titanium
Screws Material: 6AL4V Titanium
Pivot Cap: 6AL4V Titanium
Washers Material: Ceramic Ball Bearing
Back spacer Material: 6AL4V Titanium
Weight: 81g / 2.87oz
Lock Type: Liner Lock
Designed By We Knife Team
Pricing, I bought my WE704CF-P for $350 from True Talon.

The WE 704CF-P was shipped to me in a box containing a propitiatory WE zippered plush lined case, with the knife encased in a plastic sleeve, microfiber cleaning cloth and propiratory tool for disassembly (WE uses a proprietary star shaped screw for pivot screw and hardware screws).

I believe the WE 704CF-P is WE's attempt at a slim built 'gentleman's' folding knife, and I have to say WE succeeded. They produced a slim, lightweight folder that is easy to carry and unobtrusive, one which does not worry non-knife people when you deploy it.

The knife features partial open design with a short backspacer (featuring jimping and integrate lanyard hole) secured with single pin which is also the pocket clip screw, contoured carbon fiber slabs laid on anodized titanium liners (purple in my knifes case). All hardware (and there is very little hardware, only a single screw each side and the pivot) is titanium and is of the proprietary type, with WE supplying each knife with a tool to disassemble.
The line lock has jimping added to aid lock disengagement and the lock engages the full width of liner giving plenty of lock confidence.

The flipper tab has jimping and the knife functions as a light switch flipper. The flipping action is very snappy and this little knife fires exceptionally well. This knife is definitely in the realms of the fidget flipper.

The milled titanium pocket clip is set up for right hand carry, tip up carry, and the clip is secured with a single screw. The clip works well and the knife goes in and out of the pocket easily. It is reasonably deep carry, and the knife doesn't take up a lot of pocket real estate. This knife is both slim and light weight and you barely notice that it is in your pocket.
The fit and finish on the knife is at WE's usual high standard.

The blade is a trailing point type with a flat grind, featuring a finger choil and it has jimping for your thumb. A very pleasing satin finish has been applied to the blade. The blade is perfectly centered. There is zero blade play and no lock rock. There is no billboarding on the blade whatsoever apart from the WE "three line" logo that flows through the jimping area, and the "M390" mark is hidden in the knife's spine and only visible when the blade is deployed and is right near the stop pin.

The knife performed well slicing cardboard, and proved to be a good slicer. The 704 fit my large hands well and the finger choil gives you the option to choke up as required and I didn't detect any hotspots during any of my cutting tests.
You will note I didn't mention keenness, the knife arrived from the factory shaving sharp. The cutting I did didn't seem to affect keenness all that much and it only took a few passes on the SharpMaker and a stropping to make it shave again after my cutting tests.

Conclusion
The WE704CF-P represents a classy, sophisticated and very refined gentleman's folder in a near perfect package very well suited to EDC carry. It is very thin and light and carrys extremely well in pocket, and as I have said above you really can forget it is there. Technically the WE704CF-P is close to perfect, beautiful fit and finish, a snappy, smooth action, great ergonomics and built using top of the line materials.

1-5 star system 1 star poor/fail 2 star below average 3 star average 4 above average 5 star excellent
-Hands on/Ergos 5 stars (large enough to allow my XXL hands a full 4 finger grip)
-Materials/Features 5 stars
-Build Quality/Fit and Finish 5 stars
- Value/Price point 4.75 stars
-Aesthetics 5 stars
Overall rating (average of all above) 4.95 stars
(this is the same rating I gave the ZT 0470, which really speaks to how much I like this model, for me and my tastes I couldn't think of any way of 'improving' the WE704 . It is close to perfect as delivered from the factory)

For full disclosure I would also add I have XXL hands, and that must play in to my review process, and the readers should keep that in mind when reading my reviews and recommendations.
Lastly I ONLY use folding knives for light cutting duties, so I will not do 'hard use' cutting tasks with any folder, that's what I have fixed blades for, so cutting tests consisted of cutting paper, cardboard, packaging, paracord, some food prep (again, not a task I use folders for for the most part) and other duties a stay-at-home-dad would use a cutting tool for around the house.