Review Steel Will CutJack C-22 3.5" version

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Here is my review of my Steel Will CutJack C-22 3.5" M390/blue G10 linerlock

In my ever constant quest for 'budget' M390 folders I stumbled across the Steel Will CutJack, but there was a hiccup, as all the versions I saw were the mini (3" blade length) but eventually I found a 3.5" blade length version and so I had to buy one. I have found with my XXL sized hands a 3.5" blade length to be the minimum I require so I get a full four finger hand hold (as 3.5" bladed knives tend towards a 4"+ handle size, what I require to get an adequate hold)

what the company says
Steel Will site said:
Our take on the perfect multipurpose everyday knife. The C-22 model features premium Bohler-Uddeholm M390 super-steel and textured G10 handle scales. The Cutjack’s high flat grind ensures excellent cutting properties, while the superior handle ergonomics and finger choil allows for a secure and comfortable grip in multiple positions. The blade deploys quickly and smoothly thanks to the stainless steel ball bearings and convenient flipper. Made in Italy
There are several models, both in black (with blue backspace) and blue (with black backspacer) G-10, I bought the blue version

and the stats
Blade steel, M390
HRc 59-60
Handle, G10, textured
Lock type, liner (mine has 90% lockup)
OAL, 8" (205mm)
Blade length, 3.5" (78.7mm cutting edge+choil)
Folded length, 4.5" (120mm)
Blade thickness, .12" (3mm)
Weight, 4.73oz (134g)
Made in Italy
Satin finish blade, textured handle, stainless steel bearing pivot system

Costing was just under $200 including post from America.

The CutJack arrived in a Steel Will carboard box, bubble wrapped pouch and authentication paperwork. The knife arrived just off shaving sharp, so I did touch up the edge with a SharpMaker and stropped the edge to polish, it now push cuts paper and is shaving sharp.

As mentioned above I have been researching 'budget' M390 knives for a while now, and the CutJack caught my attention, a quality M390 flipper that retails for just under $200 and what arrived at my home impressed me.
The knife features partial open design with a short backspacer (featuring 'jimping') secured with two pins, textured G-10 handle slabs and skeletonized steel liners. The line lock has jimping added to aid lock disengagement and the lock has around 90% lockup. The flipper tab features jimping and the knife functions as both a push button and light switch flipper, though I prefer light switching this knife. The flipping action is authoritative and the knife fires very well.
The pivot has only a single side torx screw and as I haven't pull the knife apart or had to tighten the pivot I don't know if the pivot has a "D" collet on the pivot to aid in disassembly.
The pocket clip is set up for left and right hand carry, tip up carry, and the clip is secured with three screws. The clip works well and the knife goes in and out of the pocket easily. It is reasonably deep carry, and the knife doesn't take up a lot of pocket real estate.
The blade is a drop point with a high saber grind, featuring a choil for choking up on the blade and has a well positioned slight thumb ramp with jimping. Lastly the top of the blade has a full length swedge, adding a bit of class to the blade. The blade is perfectly centered.
Lastly a recessed lanyard hole is also included.

I have found the liner lock a little uncomfortable to disengage (a common ailment I have found with many liner locks), not a deal breaker but some what annoying for often one handed closing. I also have found the blue G10 to be a bit of a dirt magnet, again more annoying rather than a deal breaker, and the choice of Black rather than Blue would solve this issue.
From the cutting I have done with the CutJack this knife has proven itself to be a great slicer, and is a easy to use cutting tool, with lots of options because of the choil, allowing you to use the knife normally or choke up as required.

this pic shows the lock up as it was the day I received the knife (around 50% lockup), it quickly went to 90% (as I stated in the review). The lockup hasn't changed now and has stayed at around 90%

Conclusion The CutJack is an excellent 'budget' quality knife, made from quality materials, with excellent features and a smooth action, though I will admit the G10 does make the knife feel a little 'cheap' and plasticy. If the G10 doesn't bother you I recommend this knife, it delivers outstanding value for money for excellent materials used. I view this folder to be my most favored "user" out of my rotation.

For full disclosure I would also add I have XXL hands, and that must play in to my review process, and the readers should keep that in mind when reading my reviews and recommendations.
Lastly I ONLY use folding knives for light cutting duties, so I will not do 'hard use' cutting tasks with any folder, that's what I have fixed blades for, so cutting tests consisted of cutting paper, cardboard, packaging, paracord, some food prep (again, not a task I use folders for for the most part) and other duties a stay-at-home-dad would use a cutting tool for around the house.

1-5 star system 1 star poor/fail 2 star below average 3 star average 4 above average 5 star excellent
-Hands on/Ergos 4.25 stars
- Materials/Features 4.25 stars
- Build Quality/Fit and Finish 5 stars
- Value/Price point 5 stars
- Aesthetics 4.5 stars

Overall rating (average of all above) 4.6 stars

Last edited:

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
The cutjack mini in D2 is also very popular. It has been compared to the ontario rat2 in d2 as an equal in quality and features for $72.