REview Schrade SCHF52m

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Here is my review of my Schrade SCHF52M

Here's what the company says,
Brandishing the heft and strength of 1095 carbon steel, the SCHF52M offers outdoor enthusiasts a knife eager to take on the rigors of the back country.
The powder coated fine edged blade resists corrosion and is sharp right out-of-the box. The knife is 12.99" overall, which contributes to its versatility and ease of use. The 90 degree angle of the knife's spine can be used as a fire-starter by striking it against the ferro rod.
Milling on the Micarta handles defies the elements by providing a sure grip in any weather condition while also offering a contoured design that fits with your hand's natural shape. Pass cordage through the lanyard hole to keep the SCHF52M close at hand.
The black polyester sheath, with its Velcro loop, makes it easy to attach the sheath without the need to remove your belt. Lash the sheath to your leg or other gear with the available cordage. The sheath pouch comes packing a ferro rod, striker and sharpening stone.

Specifications
Blade Length: 7.04" [178.816mm] (6" [152.4]cutting edge)
Spine thickness: 0.23" (5.9mm)
Overall Length: 12.99" [329.946mm]
Blade Material: 1095 Carbon Steel
Blade Finish: Black Powder Coat
Handle Material: Micarta
Sheath Material: Polyester
Weight: 17.4 oz. (493.2817g)
Made in China

The SCHF52M is the latest 7" bladed 'survival' knife from Schrade and is marketed towards those that want a versatile and durable medium/large knife capable of all bushcraft and survival tasks. The knife fits my XXL hands very well and the knife feels very balance and swings well. Fit and finish is excellent. I like this knife a lot, it has everything I want in a survival knife. The knife came reasonably sharp from the factory, but I touched it up on my Spyderco Triangle/then stopped and now it is just on shaving sharp.
The Schrade SCHF52M features a full tang construction, has a textured micarta handle and a lanyard hole.
The 7" blade is hollow ground and has a full finger choil that allows you to choke up for fine tasks. The knife slices reasonably well despite it sporting nearly a full 1/4" spine and this is because of the hollow grind, making the blade a lot less thinner behind the edge than it would have been if ground differently. It also processes wood efficiently (I loath batoning with a knife but I just had to see if this knife could perform such a task). It also chops well, as well as to be expected from a 7" blade.

Now to one small issue, the Micarta texturing is quite aggressive, though it would serve admirably if one was to use the knife while wearing gloves but barehanded I found the texturing too aggressive, and I am sure it would cause chaffing and hot spots during heavy use. I solved this issue by applying camo form. I am sure this solution will not suit those with smaller hands, as the camo form increases the handle girth.

The sheath is OK, and is packed with a ferro rod/striker and a sharpening pad, but reminds me of the Power Eagles sheath. I changed out some of the gear in the sheath, I swapped the Schrade Sharpening pad with a smaller sharpening pad (to open up some space in the pouch) and then added some bike tire and 2 fire lighters. I then added some paracord to the sheath.

I am thinking Schrade is the new KaBar, this knife could go head to head with the BK-7 and easily match it (7"long, nearly 1/4" thick 1095 blade, ergo handle [and IMHO better handle materials] marketed as a survival knife) and the SCHF52 tends to be at a lower price point. I am honestly surprised that Schrade can offer a 1095/micarta knife for the money this knife retails at. I know of no other knife company that can match Schrade in this. Time and again from every reviewer I watch says that Schrade listens to their customers (and reviewers), the SCHF52M is a result of that feedback.

and some more info
the earlier model (SCHF37) that the 52M is based on had raised jimping on the inside of the handle which has been removed, and the jimping is now recessed. There is now only jimping on the back of the handle where your thumb rests (unfortunately is now covered with camo form on mine) IMHO they could have moved it to forward of where it is at the moment to facilitate a choke grip when you take advantage of the choil.

here is the SCHF37

and a stock pic of the SCHF52M for comparison

- Hands on/Ergos 3 stars
- Materials/Features 4.5 stars
- Build Quality/Fit and Finish 4.5 stars
- Value/Price point 5 stars
- Aesthetics 4 stars

Total 4.2 stars

Last edited:

Demetri

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Great looking knife where can you get one in Australia. I have been to a few hunting stores as I like to buy in store but cannot find Schrade knives anywhere. I came across a few online anybody bought from this company before. https://www.knifedepot.com.au/brand/schrade/. I would prefer to see first before purchasing.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Great looking knife where can you get one in Australia. I have been to a few hunting stores as I like to buy in store but cannot find Schrade knives anywhere. I came across a few online anybody bought from this company before. https://www.knifedepot.com.au/brand/schrade/. I would prefer to see first before purchasing.
I got mine from Urban Conquest (closed down a while ago) and don't know where you could get one now from a bricks and mortar shop in Australia. I haven't dealt with Knifedepot so couldn't comment. Ebay does sell them (from sellers in Australia) but I doubt any of them have a physical shop front that you could go and handle one first before buying.
This is a common problem for us here in Australia and many times you just have to bite the bullet and purchase unseen and hope for the best.

Kindlling

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I got mine from Urban Conquest (closed down a while ago) and don't know where you could get one now from a bricks and mortar shop in Australia. I haven't dealt with Knifedepot so couldn't comment. Ebay does sell them (from sellers in Australia) but I doubt any of them have a physical shop front that you could go and handle one first before buying.
This is a common problem for us here in Australia and many times you just have to bite the bullet and purchase unseen and hope for the best.
I hear you, that's why I go looking at reviews on YouTube.
So I can see it in somebodies hand, and hopefully the youtuber gives a good comparative view without waving it around at all the wrong angles too much , when your trying to catch a good glimpse.

Then there's the destructive test lunatics who I appreciate doing what I never will , for the sake of seeing how well its built.

Even still, getting something in the mail isn't Always what you expected.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
YouTube is also my first goto for pre-knife purchases, as I always want to confirm one thing or another, particularly for folders (as I have a checklist of requirements I need that any folder I buy must have)

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Here is my review of my Schrade SCHF52M

Here's what the company says,
Brandishing the heft and strength of 1095 carbon steel, the SCHF52M offers outdoor enthusiasts a knife eager to take on the rigors of the back country.
The powder coated fine edged blade resists corrosion and is sharp right out-of-the box. The knife is 12.99" overall, which contributes to its versatility and ease of use. The 90 degree angle of the knife's spine can be used as a fire-starter by striking it against the ferro rod.
Milling on the Micarta handles defies the elements by providing a sure grip in any weather condition while also offering a contoured design that fits with your hand's natural shape. Pass cordage through the lanyard hole to keep the SCHF52M close at hand.
The black polyester sheath, with its Velcro loop, makes it easy to attach the sheath without the need to remove your belt. Lash the sheath to your leg or other gear with the available cordage. The sheath pouch comes packing a ferro rod, striker and sharpening stone.

Specifications
Blade Length: 7.04" [178.816mm] (6" [152.4]cutting edge)
Spine thickness: 0.23" (5.9mm)
Overall Length: 12.99" [329.946mm]
Blade Material: 1095 Carbon Steel
Blade Finish: Black Powder Coat
Handle Material: Micarta
Sheath Material: Polyester
Weight: 17.4 oz. (493.2817g)
Made in China

The SCHF52M is the latest 7" bladed 'survival' knife from Schrade and is marketed towards those that want a versatile and durable medium/large knife capable of all bushcraft and survival tasks. The knife fits my XXL hands very well and the knife feels very balance and swings well. Fit and finish is excellent. I like this knife a lot, it has everything I want in a survival knife. The knife came reasonably sharp from the factory, but I touched it up on my Spyderco Triangle/then stopped and now it is just on shaving sharp.
The Schrade SCHF52M features a full tang construction, has a textured micarta handle and a lanyard hole.
The 7" blade is hollow ground and has a full finger choil that allows you to choke up for fine tasks. The knife slices reasonably well despite it sporting nearly a full 1/4" spine and this is because of the hollow grind, making the blade a lot less thinner behind the edge than it would have been if ground differently. It also processes wood efficiently (I loath batoning with a knife but I just had to see if this knife could perform such a task). It also chops well, as well as to be expected from a 7" blade.

Now to one small issue, the Micarta texturing is quite aggressive, though it would serve admirably if one was to use the knife while wearing gloves but barehanded I found the texturing too aggressive, and I am sure it would cause chaffing and hot spots during heavy use. I solved this issue by applying camo form. I am sure this solution will not suit those with smaller hands, as the camo form increases the handle girth.

The sheath is OK, and is packed with a ferro rod/striker and a sharpening pad, but reminds me of the Power Eagles sheath. I changed out some of the gear in the sheath, I swapped the Schrade Sharpening pad with a smaller sharpening pad (to open up some space in the pouch) and then added some bike tire and 2 fire lighters. I then added some paracord to the sheath.

I am thinking Schrade is the new KaBar, this knife could go head to head with the BK-7 and easily match it (7"long, nearly 1/4" thick 1095 blade, ergo handle [and IMHO better handle materials] marketed as a survival knife) and the SCHF52 tends to be at a lower price point. I am honestly surprised that Schrade can offer a 1095/micarta knife for the money this knife retails at. I know of no other knife company that can match Schrade in this. Time and again from every reviewer I watch says that Schrade listens to their customers (and reviewers), the SCHF52M is a result of that feedback.

and some more info
the earlier model (SCHF37) that the 52M is based on had raised jimping on the inside of the handle which has been removed, and the jimping is now recessed. There is now only jimping on the back of the handle where your thumb rests (unfortunately is now covered with camo form on mine) IMHO they could have moved it to forward of where it is at the moment to facilitate a choke grip when you take advantage of the choil.

here is the SCHF37

and a stock pic of the SCHF52M for comparison

- Hands on/Ergos 3 stars
- Materials/Features 4.5 stars
- Build Quality/Fit and Finish 4.5 stars
- Value/Price point 5 stars
- Aesthetics 4 stars

Total 4.2 stars

I like the finger choil (y)

odgens

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Great review! How have you found the steel? Decent edge retention?

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
1095 is a great fixed blade steel, it takes a keen edge and has reasonable edge retention. Schrade seems to know what they are doing in regards to this knife, I honestly can't fault it (apart from the aggressive texturing on the handle) and for the money (they retail at around AUD$120) the SCHF52M represents outstand value.

To be honest though I never allow my knives to dull if I can avoid it, and have found if you touch up knives after each use (a few light passes on a SharpMaker on the fine stones and a stropping) edge retention is never an issue.

odgens

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Cheers for the info, I've used 1095 in my Esse knives and been very impressed...just wasn't sure if the heat treatment was on point with the schrades, saw some complaints when they were first released but guessing they've ironed out the bugs by now