Review Real Steel Megalodon E-801

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Here is my review of the Real Steel Megalodon E-801

what the company says
You don't have to compromise on size in a knife, just because it's an everyday carry. With a blade length of 3.93", the E801 Megalodon flipper is setting the standard in everyday user value. The E801 is a liner lock knife which can be secured with Real Steel's innovative "101" Safety-Lock. The flat ground, satin finished blade is made from 14C28N stainless steel and can be opened smoothly with the flipper mechanism due to the ball bearing pivot. The ergonomically shaped handles are made from black G10 over skeletonized stainless steel liners with a hidden lanyard hole. This knife is a high-value alternative to Real Steel's industry leading Megalodon 2017 with materials more suited for an EDC beater in a design anyone will love.

Specifications
Blade Length: 3.93"
Closed Length: 4.75"
Overall Length: 8.74"
Blade Material: 14C28N Stainless Steel, 58-60HRC
Blade Thickness: 0.14"
Blade Style: Drop Point
Blade Finish: Satin
Handle Material: Black G10
Handle Thickness: 0.54"
Locking Mechanism: Liner Lock
Pocket Clip: Tip-Up, Right Carry
Weight: 4.4 oz.

Here is information about the Sandvik 14C28N Swedish Stainless Steel. From my research most compare it to S30V (while quite different steels their performance seems to be about the same). Real Steel seems to use it on most of their higher end knives. I have never had a knife with this steel before, though initial impressions are good, seems to take a very keen edge and from the little cutting I have done with the knives I have with this blade steel it seems to hold an edge quite well. Also from tests I have seen about the edge retention of 14c28n is comparable to VG-10 in that regard.

The knife came reasonably sharp from the factory, fit and finish is RSK usual standard, as in excellent, the blade is centered well and the lock engages the complete thickness of the liner. The pocket clip is set up for right hand carry tip up, with no options to change. Because of the ball bearing pivot the flipping action is very good, and it fires reliably every time. The addition of jimping on the flipper eliminates slippage, and IMHO all flippers should have jimping applied to them. RSK has also cut away the scales on the side of the area where you disengage the liner lock, which allows for unhindered lock disengagement, something I wish RSK would do for all their liner lock knives. This is a large folder, with a just under 4" blade, but despite the overall size of the Megalodon it carries surprisingly well in your pocket.
The ergonomics are great and the knife fills my XXL hands completely. The G10 handle scales have been 'textured' and chamfered and the handles are grippy and comfortable.The only thing I would add is some jimping on the back of the blade, this is somewhat unnecessary because the flipper forms a guard when the blade is deployed but is my personal preference.
This knife has an innovative 'hidden' lanyard hole (the same as the E-571, designed not to spoil the lines of the knife design), which while doesn't allow normal paracord to run through it I have found I can attach a gutted paracord lanyard.
Cost for this knife was $70 including shipping, representing outstanding value for money.
This has become one of my EDC knives, and acts as my 'beater EDC knife' (along with my Steel Will CutJack) I carry and use this knife when I think I may have to do something 'rough' with my folder that I would not normally want to do with my more expensive knives. I like it a lot and highly recommend it for anyone who likes to carry a full sized folder. I will say it isn't all that sheeple friendly, mainly because of its size.

Notes on the 101 safety lock, this secondary lock is mounted on the top spine of the handle right where the flipper tab pokes through the handle. When engaged it prevents the liner lock from disengaging basically turning the knife into a fixed blade. From me this is a sort of answer to a question no one asked and is IMO a little redundant and superfluous. I also find my finger running over it when flipping the knife leading to slight irritation.

comparing the Megalodon Titan and E801

lock up

T101 safety lock

barrel lanyard, because of the lanyard not really showing well

Conclusion This knife represents fantastic value for money, you are getting premium fit and finish, quality 'budget' materials and overall high quality for a price that is hard to beat.

rating system
1-5 star system 1 star poor/fail 2 star below average 3 star average 4 above average 5 star excellent
-Hands on/Ergos 4 starts (101 safety lock lowered score)
- Materials/Features 3.5 stars (great 'budget' materials)
- Build Quality/Fit and Finish 5 stars
- Value/Price point 5 stars
- Aesthetics 4 stars

Overall rating (average of all above) 4.3 stars

For full disclosure I would also add I have XXL hands, and that must play in to my review process, and the readers should keep that in mind when reading my reviews and recommendations.
Lastly I ONLY use folding knives for light cutting duties, so I will not do 'hard use' cutting tasks with any folder, that's what I have fixed blades for, so cutting tests consisted of cutting paper, cardboard, packaging, paracord, some food prep (again, not a task I use folders for for the most part) and other duties a stay-at-home-dad would use a cutting tool for around the house.