Review Leatherman Wingman multitool

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Here is my review of the Leatherman Wingman multitool. I have carried this multitool for many years now and it is a part of my EDC tools. The Wingman is one of the few full sized Leatherman's that has a pocket clip and I wear this multitool in my left hand pocket (off hand for me). I did buy a belt pouch for this tool as well, but I prefer to wear the tool in my pocket and only use the belt pouch in the rare event I wear jeans (I wear cargo pants almost exclusively these days)

what the company says
The Leatherman Wingman is Leatherman’s entry level multitool. It is an affordable multitool with all the tools you would need for an emergency. The Wingman is a great tool to keep in your bag or glove box for when an emergency arises when you would need one of the 14 tools included on the tool from pliers to screwdrivers to scissors to knife. The list goes on. The Wingman is backed by Leatherman’s lifetime warranty is is compact and durable for any task you can throw at it.
The Leatherman Wingman is just that, your go-to tool for projects around the house, on the job or at the campsite. A great, lightweight, pocket-sized, stainless steel tool. The Wingman features an outside accessible, one hand opening blade and newly designed spring action jaws. With plenty of handy tools and backed by a team of designers, assemblers and manufacturing crew from Portland, Oregon, this is one product with amazing value. Covered by the Leatherman 25 year warranty this is a must have tool with all the features of a large multitool.

stats/features
Spring-action Needlenose Pliers
Spring-action Regular Pliers
Spring-action Wire Cutters
420HC Combo Knife
Package Opener
Wood/Metal File
Scissors
Small Screwdriver
Medium Screwdriver
Phillips Screwdriver
Ruler (1.5 in)
Bottle Opener
Can Opener
Wire Stripper

Features on Tool:
Removable Pocket Clip
Stainless Steel Body
All Locking Outside Blades
Stainless Steel Handles
25-year Warranty

Size:
2.6 in | 6.6 cm (Blade Length)
3.8 in | 9.7 cm (Closed)
7 oz | 198.4 g (Weight)

The Leatherman Wingman is built as their EDC multitool, being the only full sized tool that has a pocket clip and has a range of tools that are all designed around everyday task requirements. The Wingman's is reasonably heavy (for a knife) but on the lighter side for a multitool.
The two most used tools (the knife blade and scissors) are accessible from the close position of the multitool and both feature liner locks. The rest of the tools need to have the multitool opened up. Overall the only tool I wish the Wingman had is an awl, and a part from that I am entirely happy with the selection of tools available on the Wingman and use all of them from time to time. As I have already said the most used tools are the blade, scissors and the pliers. I particularly like using the pliers for picking up things I don't want to touch, or need to grip to undo.

The knife blade is partially serrated and has a hole-in-the-blade for one handed opening. I have found the blade often quickly develops blade play and requires the user to tighten up the pivot on a regular basis, and it is possible to over tighten the pivot making the blade almost impossible to deploy one handed, so I usually tighten the blade down quite hard (eliminating the blade play) and deploy the blade two handed (as if I was opening a slip joint knife). I use the blade on my Wingman for 'obnoxious' cutting tasks, tasks I would prefer not to subject my regular EDC knife to. The blade steel (420HC) doesn't hold an edge very well, but is very easy to resharpen. I have never had to resharpen the serrations, and they are still quite bitey even after years of use. I will say I rarely use the serrations though and tend to favor the plain edge part of the knife.
I particularly like the scissors option, and find myself using them regularly.

Conclusion
For what it is the Wingman delivers reasonable performance and has the bare minimum of useful tools that makes it worthwhile to carry. I view the blade on the Wingman as my 'beater' edge and for that alone makes it worthwhile to carry EDC. The Wingman makes sense if you want to carry a multitool but don't want the hassle of having to carry a full sized (and heavy) multitool on a belt as the Wingman is easily carried in a pocket.

For full disclosure I would also add I have XXL hands, and that must play in to my review process, and the readers should keep that in mind when reading my reviews and recommendations.
Lastly I ONLY use folding knives for light cutting duties, so I will not do 'hard use' cutting tasks with any folder, that's what I have fixed blades for, so cutting tests consisted of cutting paper, cardboard, packaging, paracord, some food prep (again, not a task I use folders for for the most part) and other duties a stay-at-home-dad would use a cutting tool for around the house.

1-5 star system 1 star poor/fail 2 star below average 3 star average 4 above average 5 star excellent
-Hands on/Ergos 3 stars (it's basically a metal box and not super comfy to use for extended periods, but then again it wasn't design for that kind of use IMO)
- Materials/Features 4 stars (bottom end budget steel for blade, minimum amount of tools provided, though the ones they provided are useful)
- Build Quality/Fit and Finish 4 stars (knife pivot is poor, rest of build is good)
- Value/Price point 4 stars (among the better priced Leatherman)
- Aesthetics 3 stars

Overall rating (average of all above) 3.6 stars

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Great review & video (y) I hear you, the larger ones can become a chore to carry. Seems like a nice size for EDC. I like the leather pouch too. I don't normally like serrated blades either, but I have come think they have a place on an EDC/ emergency tool- they can cut through plastic/ perspex/ aluminium doors in a fire. I agree though, an awl is essential, at least for me. I carry this & always have. Family tradition since WWI, even though I like Leathermans:)

Australian Army Shelham Clasp Knife (2001)

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I could have easily seen the parcel open on the Wingman replaced with the awl, as you say mate I too believe the awl is an essential inclusion on a multitool.

Kindlling

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I switched from carrying the victorinox soldier to the leatherman wingman daily now.

Mostly for the possibility of being one day told by police I can't carry a blade .
I carry it in its pouch on the belt , its good as the pouch holds a firesteel inside too.

I do like the tool , pliers are a handy thing .
I think you could easily add an awl (good idea thanks) to the pouch , and use the pliers to hold and puncture with it.

I'll now look out for one.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Thanks Waveman. I would prefer an SAK style reamer with sewing eye instead of say the can or bottle opener. I carry a separate key ring size marlin spike, which the Shelham has.
Leatherman should develop a custom type tool that you can decide(within reason) what you want to add.