BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

Review German Mountain Pack

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
as per request, here is a short review on the German Mountain Pack, which turned up today. Here is a link to another post about this pack
http://bushcraftoz.com/forums/showthread.php?2578-German-Mountain-Pack

2012-03-07_10-20-12_884.jpg

2012-03-07_10-19-09_536.jpg

internal shot
2012-03-07_10-19-23_941.jpg

loaded up(90% filled)with my shelter/sleep system
2012-03-07_11-44-12_955.jpg

What I loaded in the pack, main compartment alpaca wool blanket, Darche Hybrid one man tent, Army hammock, 2 hanks of paracord, pkt of zip ties, 4 bungie ties, large HD garbage bag.
back internal compartment, HD space blanket, 5'x7' med duty tarp, 8'x7' ground sheet
side pocket, 400' of #36 bank line, 6 plastic tent pegs, 2 hanks of bank line(20' each)
bow saw strapped out side of pack [I could easily fit 2-3 1200 Mainstay food bars(side pocket), a spare set of clothes and a small cook set/mess tin kit]

First impressions, This is a quality pack, made from solid, heavy duty materials. It should stand up to years of wear. In parts it is double stitched. It is fully lined so would be close to being water proof. The pack feels very comfortable to wear, the padding on the shoulder straps in very thick. For the cost of these packs (under $50 including shipping)what you receive is outstanding, I am impressed, and will be getting another shortly.

Last edited:

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice one you taken it for a test run yet..??

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Nice one - looks good. Good loadout too btw. Have you done much with the master hunter? What would you have on your belt to accompany this kit? Tie anything else to the outside?

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Great little pack, and thanks for the review.

Do you reckon you could post up some photos of the shoulders strap? I'm curious to see if I can clip my GPS (eTrex pocket clip) on there somehow.

Thanks!

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Have you done much with the master hunter? What would you have on your belt to accompany this kit? Tie anything else to the outside?
Mate I had to put my Master Hunter away till the 21st of March(my birthday), so I haven't done anything to her, other then adding a TOPS piggy back fire steel to the sheath. I plan to flog the shit out of her as soon as I have my birthday.

Belt load out would be CS Trail Master SMIII and Master Hunter SMIII, and my "survival" kit haversack clipped on to the belt at the small of my back. I also have a 2QT water bottle(with a shoulder strap) that I would have slung.

The only other thing I plan to try to carry a self inflating mat/pillow, not sure if I am going to add this to the pack or add a shoulder strap to the mat and sling it.
I have repositioned the Hybrid tent to make space, now I will definitely be able to fit a cook/mess kit and spare cloths.
2012-03-08_07-19-06_937.jpg

2012-03-08_07-19-31_61.jpg

2012-03-08_07-19-59_951.jpg

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Dean,
Of all the reviews and descriptions online, yours is the only one showing the straps.
Thanks!
Mike

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
No problems what so ever Mike. Do you reckon you would be able to attach you GPS to the straps?

I would recommend this pack to anyone looking for a good, solid day pack that has quite a traditional style.

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
No problems what so ever Mike. Do you reckon you would be able to attach you GPS to the straps?

I would recommend this pack to anyone looking for a good, solid day pack that has quite a traditional style.

I like the trad style, and I've been looking around for a bit. Checked out the usual suspects, but all a bit exy to import just to try out.

My current daypack is a MaxPed Condor II. At 30L it's too big for all day, and just a fraction small for an overnighter. These being the main type of walks I do.
My GPS (eTrex Vista HC) has a leather case with a pocket clip that slides neatly onto the shoulder strap, with a lanyard clipped to a d-ring for safety. The Condor has horizontal molle strips, so the GPS sits upright, in line with the strap.
The other pack I used had a strap running in the same line as the shoulder pads, and I could mount the GPS cross-wise, which worked just as well. To use the GPS, I just slide it on and off, of course.

Looking at the straps on this German one, I'm wondering how easy it may be to extend a strap up and over the pad. Or do I keep looking?

BTW - where the strap joins the shoulder pad looks like a weak point. I'll be curious to see how this goes in the long term.

Thanks again for the review.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Thanks Dean for the review
a couple of questions.
  • Are the D rings on top metal or plastic?
  • And are the straps holding D rings double stitched?
  • And do the straps go under the bottom of sack benneath the plastic outer lining?

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
  • Are the D rings on top metal or plastic?
  • And are the straps holding D rings double stitched?
  • And do the straps go under the bottom of sack benneath the plastic outer lining?

the D rings are plastic

single stitched, but boxed and cross stitched both over and under the D, quite solid from what I can see.

No, the straps don't go under the pack (the one point I am a little miffed at, but honestly not a big deal IMO) I originally wanted to suspend my self inflating mat under there, but there is a lack of hook up's so I went with strapping it to the outside back of the pack vertically(top and bottom of the pack, will post pics when I get a chance)

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Darren I have put the pack on several times now and I was surprised to learn my pack rides high and the waist strap actually does go around my sternum area(helps that I have a beer gut that sticks out....LoL), unlike how the vid bloke had his.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
as a day pack/over nighter/week end pack this pack will serve you well. Plus at the price honestly you can't really go wrong.....

darren

Templar
Reaction score
Lucky Country, where the geckos are paid to l
I am looking for a traditional style pack for one or two night trips in the scrub where i just wander and dont need to cover a lot of miles. I want to make a more period style set up but those name brand packs are sooooo expensive.
I look forward to your field review

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I am looking for a traditional style pack for one or two night trips in the scrub where i just wander and dont need to cover a lot of miles. I want to make a more period style set up but those name brand packs are sooooo expensive.
I look forward to your field review

For under $50 this pack looks like the way to go..

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Thanks Wave Man for your preview on the pack my order arrived today, And was surprised of the quality for $40 including post.
My first impressions were great 100% cotton , 25mm cotton webbing straps 25mm D rings,30mm plastic buckles ,a poly vinyl base , draw sting top and all lids/flaps are lined with more PVC so are the backs of side pockets.
The pack would make IMO a good day pack walking trails it is light plenty of adjustment in shoulder straps and waist belt. It is made by a company who produces re-enactment gear so it is not truely a pack maker or designer.

Firstly let me say I did not buy this pack as a pack to replace mine but did like the traditional looks of it and saw some possibilities to extend the use to a 3 day pack and alter cheaply to make it more traditional in appearance.
Ok I do believe it would do as a day pack, $40 is not alot however there are IMO some questionable construction designs I believe needed for long lasting Bush quality. All could/can be fixed without too much drama and as I intended altering its appearence anyway, here are some of the things I would suggest needs attention I do not see these as poor design as mentioned created for re enactment purposes.
  • Shoulder Straps/pads I believe IMO are the biggest issue- they are comfortable but only 2 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick a foam material rapped in the same material as bag. MY real concern is the attachment to the bag itself only stiched onto a stiffened 2inch section of material not sure what. This I will leave till it needs to addressed as they may turn out ok. Ps No webbing material runs thru the padding.
  • The main bag compartment is not lined only the lid is , so to insure water resist I will do a silicone wash to help seal. This I believe will also help the PVC base as it not a bucket type base it two pieces sewn together a base and side wall so the wash should help seal the join.
  • the third magor problem I see is the straps themselves, This was/is not and issue for me as I intend to replace anyway with Leather. If I didn't I would be inclined to re.enforce the straps as they are only partly stiched onto the bag . They are boxed stiched at ends or if to lock in item ie D rings the rest is not stitched and only re enforce inside by a extra peice of material. This too me is a concern for its strength and carrying ability. the other concern is the straps don't go all the way around the base of bag, this too I was aware of and intended to replace/fix with leather.
This being said for the price it is a great little bag and still very pleased and would use as a day pack, as I said I did intend altering it and with a few little extras it will change the durability of the bag with little/no expected extra work.
The material of bag IMO is excellent and most the problems I see will be fixed with the intended alterations anyway, so no real issue other than shoulder pad attachments which I will leave anyway.
What i did expect to do with it prior to seeing was to:
  • Replace straps with leather ( now with full stiched surface and Boxed stiching at anchor points)
  • Replace buckles/D ring with S/ Steel fittings
  • Water resist the bag
  • Continue leather straps around base including another set of D rings
  • Adding two short straps for axe / spade attachment
  • and to make a leather bed roll straps with quick attachments to the bag and it own carry strap if i did not want to carry the bag.
  • Later on (look at the need to replace or re enforce shoulder pad section of straps.)
I like Wave Man would recommend this pack to others for a traditional pack

Last edited:

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
thanks for your additional review mate, always good to have a different perspective. i look forward to see what you come up with modifying this pack. One point I would have liked to see on this pack, from the factory would have been replacing the plastic clips and D rings with brass or stainless steel, that one thing would have added to the durability.