Result: Project - Navigation Quiz - thejungleisneutral

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Great stuff mate.

Just looking over it I think you have done really well also. The symbols are always tricky anyway.

Ill get it marked up properly for you tomorrow.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Results: Project - Navigation Quiz - thejungleisneutral

Part 1 - Map Symbols

1/1
1/3 - Route marker: National Highway, National Route, State Route
1/2 - Orange line indicates unpaved major rd
1/2 - Orange line indicates unpaved secondary rd
1/2 - Orange line indicates unpaved minor rd
1/2 - Second symbol indicates a floodway
1/1
1/1
3/3 - Second symbol is a culvert
3/3 - Railway is heavy
1/2 - Light railway and road underpass
3/3
2/2
1/1
1/1
1/2 - Last symbol represents a ground depression
2/2
2/2
2/2 - Closed forest: 80-100% crown cover. Open forest: 50-80% crown cover
1/2 - First is Woodland: 20-50% crown cover.
2/2
1/1 - (33kv and above)
0/1 - Cableway
0/2 - Pipeline, water. Pipeline, other
3/3
2/2 - Lol close enough. Technically your right. Wet and dry swamp.
2/2 - Close enough also, you have the right idea. Intertidal flat. Sand
1/1 - Small intersecting line indicates a waterfall
1/1
1/1
1/1 - Ferry route
0/2 - Lighthouse or beacon. Breakwater
0/1 - Jetty or warf
1/3 - Slipway. Anchorage. Wreck
0/2 - Rock shelf, reef
0/2 - Rocky shoreline. Rock, bare or awash
3/3
2/3 - last symbol is a place of worship (only needed in extreme survival situation) ;)
2/3 - Emergency headquarters
3/3
0/2 - Electricity substation, small. Electricity substation, large

Sub Total: 55/80

Part 2 - Declination

1. Correct
2. Correct
3. Correct
4. GM Angle is 15 Degrees. 1 + 14.

Part 3 - Contours Continues

5. Correct
6. Correct
7. Correct
8. Correct
9. Correct
10. Correct

Sub Total: 9/10

Part 3 - Contours Continued

1. Correct
2. Correct
3. Answers can differ a bit on this question depending on the detail you go into and depending on if you count your first downhill as 1. Though I can only reliably note 4 changes. Downhill from Mount Bushcraft trig to the gully at Flint & Steel Fire Trail. After crossing there is a small uphill as the track bends and turns around then down hill to cross Bushcraft Creek. Then uphill all the way to the interaction with Hammock Rd. As always keen to hear if you think otherwise.
4. a. Mount Bushcraft, e. Mount Impossible. These are likely to be the only landmarks you could identify with unaided sight. Mitchell homestead is very likely to be hidden by terrain from the nearby south hill although you could argue that you might see the cleared land nearby so I will give you this. Dry Floor cave, despite being 1km away only would be hard to spot on the hillside also given the crown cover of the area and the nearby eastern peak of Mt Clearview.
5. b. Slow moving. Where scandi creek runs through the swamp it descends 20m over about 1km, picking up speed as it heads towards Ember Fire Trail. From Where the creek enters the map to its end at Ember Fire Trail there is an approximate 80m decent over its length.
6. Correct
7. Correct
8. 224400E 6246500N approx. Very close. I suspect you might have just mixed up the numbers on the easting writing 6 rather than 4. Northing is spot on. Or perhaps added an extra digit to the easting.

Sub Total: 5/8

Part 4 - Route Planning

1. a. Climb Mount Impossible. Its unlikely that you would be able to sight Damper hill from this location. The spurs from mount impossible would block any sighting from here. Also damper hill being a non prominent hill would need to be sighted from higher ground where you could also use the intersection of Hammock Rd and Damper fire trail to confirm the location.
2. Correct
3. Correct - Excellent observation of the change in the creek to perennial. Also great, efficient backup plan.
4. Correct

Sub Total: 15/20

Total: 84/118

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Another great result TJIN. You did very well I think. My answers also include notes sometimes it doesn't mean the answer is necessarily incorrect.

As always feel free to disagree and offer you opinion on how you have interpreted the quiz. Thanks very much for taking part!

thejungleisneutral

Walkabout
Reaction score
Thanks for such a thorough assessment Blake!

Reading the notes, I agree with everything written. These types of quizzes are great learning tools.

About the coastal symbols... Looking at them again, I adjusted the brightness on my monitor and I was able to see the blue. I was wondering why there was a ship in the middle of nowhere ;)