Result: Project - Navigation Quiz - Greatbloke

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Great stuff so far Greatboke! Great to see. Once the last page is up I will go through and mark it up for you in one go. I merged them into one thread for you just to keep it together and renamed it so we all have similar formatting. Good work so far!

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
GB navigation quiz pat 4.jpg

Thanks for the Quiz Blake. You really did an excellent job. Very practical, and the last one was particularly entertaining. :)

I've realised some mistakes already.. so learning already. :)

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Dont mate,

You wait till I put mine up... I did the thing and I recon you will still get more than me. Just marking the rest now but you did very well on the symbols. I think we all overlook them so thats why I included it but its not as important as the later sections.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Results Greatbloke Navigation Quiz:

Included notes when applicable. Not necessarily wrong just FYI kind of thing.

Part 1 - Map Symbols

1/1
2/3 First marker is National Hwy marker, Second is National Route
2/2 Marker indicates a metroad marker
2/2 secondary rd
2/2 minor road
2/2
1/1
1/1
3/3
3/3 heavy railway
1/2 light railway, road underpass
3/3
0/2 Above ground water tank or reservoir, Ground tank or dam
1/1
1/1 Can just also appear as an isolated spot height where topography is not extreme
2/2
1/2 Rocky Pinnacle
0/2 Quarry or gravel pit, levee or dyke
2/2 Closed forest: 80-100% crown cover. Open forest: 50-80% crown cover
0/2 Woodland: 20-50% crown cover. Pine Forest
2/2
0/1 Power transmission line (33kv and above)
0/1 Cableway
1/2 Pipeline, water. Pipeline, other
1/3 Perennial lake. Intermittent lake. Land subject to inundation
2/2 Wet swamp. Dry swamp
0/2 Intertidal flat. Sand
1/1 indicates intermittent stream, small line indicates a waterfall
1/1 also perennial stream
1/1
0/1 ferry route
1/2 lighthouse or beacon
1/1
2/3 first is slipway
2/2
1/2 rocky shoreline. bare rock or awash
3/3
0/3 Hospital, Telephone exchange, Place of worship
0/3 Ambulance station, Police station, Emergency Headquarters
2/3 second .S indicates a School
0/2 Electricity substation, small. Electricity substation, large

Sub Total: 51/80

Part 2 & 3 - Declination & Contours

1. Correct
2. Correct
3. Correct
4. Correct
5. Correct
6. Correct
7. Correct
8. Correct
9. Correct
10. Correct

Sub Total: 10/10 - Well Done! Smashed it

Part 3 - Contours Continues

1. Correct
2. Correct
3. Correct - Interesting to see the individual interpretation of this depending on if you look at major changes or small ones. You looked into the topography in great detail, well done.
4. Correct
5. Correct
6. Correct
7. Correct
8. As grid reference these are spot on. Unfortunately we were after the MGA cordinates for this location which is approx 224400E 6246500N

Sub Total: 7/8

Part 4 - Route Planning

1. Correct - Well done, sneaky question that one
2. Correct - Great planning on this one! Even more efficient route than what I had potentially
3. Correct
4. You already have identified this error before posting so good stuff. As you suspected the line indicates a parish boundary not a pipeline. Its unlikely this would be marked and also creeks and rivers can, depending on the country be hard to travel if they are up or moving, with steep banks in some locations and possible dense vegitation. Unless you can float it, which is an option. The most likely practical route considering time, distance and ease of travel is to head out to the peak of Mount Clearview which is an easy climb then turn NNW descending down the spur to the hut. This is only my thoughts so its good to have a discussion on this if you disagree.

15/20

Total Score: 83/118

Last edited:

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Really great work GB. The symbols are really tricky and you still did very well on them. Thank you being the first to have a go you did really well I recon.

I found your interpretation of question 2 part 4 very interesting also. I would have walked to the trig of mount bushcraft and followed the ridge as I usually find these easier to navigate without having to stop and check I was in the right place as much. However I think your method would certainly be faster and a shorter distance, if you dont mind contouring around. You have taught me one there I recon.

Keen to hear your thinking behind it also. Just nice to see different ways of approaching the same problem.

Thanks again and great work.

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
I did consider the route you outlined also Blake, and I would probably choose that in the real world for the reasons you gave and also to bag the peak get a better view maybe. :)

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi greatbloke,

Here is some info of Metroads. I should say now that these symbols came from a NSW department of lands topo map. It seems that Metroads are a NSW and QLD thing and they are being phased out so its not a big deal. Being from VIC this is probably why you hadn't heard of them. I wouldn't worry to much about that. In fact I might remove that in future versions

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
The most likely practical route considering time, distance and ease of travel is to head out to the peak of Mount Clearview which is an easy climb then turn NNW descending down the spur to the hut. This is only my thoughts so its good to have a discussion on this if you disagree.
I had another look at the map today, Blake. I agree with you. Had I not made the pipeline mistake, I think I would have chosen that same route. :)